IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

Hey i want to throw this in here, it's heritage/wata related.

Pawn Stars premiered monday night.  I'm streaming my sling-dvr account of it right now.  Some dude just walked in with his 9.4 Tyson game from WATA/Heritage wanting 100k.

Seems shady.  And of course the WATA puppet is right there like the other times before trying to boast and back up the value of the games they're making up somewhat from out of their collective asses.  Have they ever got around to showing some honesty and having population reports to get some credibility behind their grades and the financial values they're making big claims over.  Or is this still them trying to puff up their services so they can get paid for grading, auctioning, and if auctioning also the final cut as well??  I mean VGA was shady never being consistent or questioned, but this seems super sketch and again using popular TV to back up their crap.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I wonder what impact the latest high ball paid listings (since it was brought up here) for Pokemon will do to the sealed market.  We got a guy on here asking $24K for a sealed blue, top one I think ebay did was $21K and of course they filch their 10% on that too which reduced it under 19k.  You'd think Red would get most ridiculous of the original three.  The top 3 on that are at 15 12.5 and 8k.  None of those were wata/heritage abused either.

The highest Red sale (and highest eBay sale overall) I have recorded on eBay is $39,000 for a VGA 85+ second print:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Pokemon-Red-Version-VGA-85-Gold-Charizard-White-ESRB-Game-Boy-/184596914001?nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true
I guess that was a genuine sale, at least eBay doesn't show it as relisted and I don't have any other listings for the same VGA ID tracked.

Second highest eBay sale I have tracked is $19k for a Blue first print, "Red text" error variant:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Factory-sealed-Pokemon-Blue-Version-Game-Boy-1998-/383921158314?nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

I'm betting that's gonna seem like a stonking deal in a year or two. I don't have a $21k Blue tracked but my data only goes back to November. The highest sales I have tracked overall are from HA, a WATA 9.8 Red 2nd print for $84k and a WATA 9.8 Yellow first (probably) print for $78k. I suspect several things in the current auction will break those numbers, though.

edit: BTW, the Blue DrMario is selling here for $24k is a second print.

Edited by AdamW

2 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

How did that get graded as Near Mint? That is not acceptable.

Not that I have any love for VGA (we found them grading fake DS Pokemons as genuine earlier this month), but seems possible the mould could've grown after grading, no?

Edited by AdamW
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, AdamW said:

Not that I have any love for VGA (we found them grading fake DS Pokemons as genuine earlier this month), but seems possible the mould could've grown after grading, no?

Heard of that happening with poorly stored slabbed comics, so that was my guess here too.

Edited by Nesmaster
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, AdamW said:

Game Information
Serial Number:       77364950
Date Graded:    Feb 09, 2016
Grade    85
(Sub grades are not available for this item)
Year:    1997
Company:    NINTENDO
Series:    NINTENDO 64
Title:    GAME CARTRIDGE
Name:    MARIO KART 64
Variation:

I guess in 5 years it could have grown mould if stored in a highly humid environment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Pawn Stars premiered monday night.  I'm streaming my sling-dvr account of it right now.  Some dude just walked in with his 9.4 Tyson game from WATA/Heritage wanting 100k.

Seems shady.  And of course the WATA puppet is right there like the other times before trying to boast and back up the value of the games they're making up somewhat from out of their collective asses.  Have they ever got around to showing some honesty and having population reports to get some credibility behind their grades and the financial values they're making big claims over.  Or is this still them trying to puff up their services so they can get paid for grading, auctioning, and if auctioning also the final cut as well??  I mean VGA was shady never being consistent or questioned, but this seems super sketch and again using popular TV to back up their crap.

Can't believe Chum let this walk out the door for only $90,000 😮 These segments are weird. The guy clearly knows he isn't going to sell it. The shop clearly isn't going to buy it but has to feign interest. The guy asking $100k can't even confirm that Glass Joe (or "Glassy Joe") the first boxer of MTPO, something anyone who has played MTPO... once... would know. The prices are whatever at this point, but the lack of actual passion for games in this market man, it is like a vacuum that sucks out enthusiasm for games themselves.

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, DefaultGen said:

Can't believe Chum let this walk out the door for only $90,000 😮 These segments are weird. The guy clearly knows he isn't going to sell it. The shop clearly isn't going to buy it but has to feign interest. The guy asking $100k can't even confirm that Glass Joe (or "Glassy Joe") the first boxer of MTPO, something anyone who has played MTPO... once... would know. The prices are whatever at this point, but the lack of actual passion for games in this market man, it is like a vacuum that sucks out enthusiasm for games themselves.

That guy should've taken the 60k chum offered him for that 3rd print.

2 hours ago, Gulag Joe said:

I cant believe somebody paid 6k for that moldy game. It's only going to get worse. I give it 10 more years before you can't make out what the game actually is. The only thing I can imagine the buyer will do is break it open and try to clean it.

Looks like a fake bid to me. One of a sealed collector’s biggest bug bear is mold, which will likely grow and destroy the seal/box, and then....what’s the point? Why not simply look around for a sealed ungraded copy without the mold?

Unless he’s buying it for the mold and not the game itself? 🤪

4 hours ago, Tanooki said:

This MTPO episode, along with the Mario 85 episode, is basically about bringing attention to the hype-hungry population. There never seemed to be a serious negotiation going on, and it appeared more about the promotion on the NES games market and WATA. I honestly doubt a second hand shop is going to offer $60,000 without knowing how much exists in the market, and just because “I know of some people who will offer $70,000, easy!”

Actual values are dictated by actual proof, not heresay. Particularly heresay from a person who would benefit from a rising sales market. You would typically want an independent value appraiser.

5 hours ago, GPX said:

“I know of some people who will offer $70,000, easy!”

Actual values are dictated by actual proof, not heresay. Particularly heresay from a person who would benefit from a rising sales market. You would typically want an independent value appraiser.

i dont think you heard them correctly. It's the k-mart exclusive version 🙃

i think pstars has price charting or game value now somewhere

Edited by SealedWholesale

5 hours ago, Gulag Joe said:

I cant believe somebody paid 6k for that moldy game. It's only going to get worse. I give it 10 more years before you can't make out what the game actually is. The only thing I can imagine the buyer will do is break it open and try to clean it.

I bet they pull the wrap off and send it in for a very high grade NS.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I mean VGA was shady never being consistent or questioned, but this seems super sketch and again using popular TV to back up their crap.

Here is an in-depth report on VGA. I should note that it was not written by me. And should also note that it is a bigger part of the overall information I needed to develop a non-bias opinion of the company. The rest includes my own inquiries, my own use of both AFA and VGA, and data that backs up what @AdamW is saying.

As for my opinions on Wata... Lets just say that Deniz needs a haircut, and @Code Monkey's review are both added reasons why I am trying out CAS's grading/preservation services. Which did have a few games up for auction. But that was Hake's, and the closing auction prices were pre-COVID era sane. 🙃

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Pretty sure Brian is a.... consultant for Heritage? He has mentioned before in one of the Facebook groups.  Not that it matters at all as most Pawn Stars segments are simply about shock and awe rather than actual information, but the whole thing just looks like a WATA games commercial being disguised as organic content haha.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
5 minutes ago, Maertens29 said:

Pretty sure Brian is a.... consultant for Heritage? He has mentioned before in one of the Facebook groups.  Not that it matters at all as most Pawn Stars segments are simply about shock and awe rather than actual information, but the whole thing just looks like a WATA games commercial being disguised as organic content haha.

Cuz that's what it is. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Gulag Joe said:

someone oughta just open that bad boy up and take the cartridge out assuming it isn't already destroyed from inside. did they store that thing outside in a swamp for a couple months? haha jeeze. As an N64 nut sad thing to see a copy that great condition be so mistreated. the fact that several people bidded on that travesty..

Edited by avoin
  • Like 1