IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - M.U.S.C.L.E

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, welcome for a week of epic, high level wrestling in our beloved contest!

Put in your ludicrous spandex costumes, pick your team and muscle up your way to victory!
The rules for this week are simple:

• Play 1 player game
  • Pick any characters you want
  • Play till you win round 10 or till you lose.
  • Take your picture at the round score screen. Be wary that you may not have a lot of time after winning round 10
  • The winning condition is progress plus high score
  • Participation: Make it to round 2
  • Genre: Sports

24_MUSCLE_Sage.png.730f2b40e6282ae027614

The contest ends Sunday, 09/06/21 at midnight Brasilia time. Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

Events Team · Posted
1st 0xDEAFC0DE Round 10 (victory) - 583,122
2nd NESfiend Round 10 (victory) - 529,044
3rd the_wizard_666 Round 10 (victory) - 522,846
4th Bearcat-Doug Round 10 (victory) - 474,223
5th Mega Tank Round 10 (victory) - 438,967
6th ihavethatpma Round 10 (victory) - 434,424
7th Dr. Morbis Round 10 (lose) - 402,000
8th mbd39 Round 04 - 153,800
9th Richardhead Round 04 - 135,532
10th PII Round 03 - 102,752
11th docile tapeworm Round 02 - 45,402
12th Krunch Round 02 - 35,434

• The topic was pinned

Very odd little game.

Reserved for score... 😛

SCORE EDIT: Wow, this isn't wrestling, it's "chase the power ball"... that's literally the entire game.  Anyway, I killed myself off on Round 10 because I was scared of missing my temporary window to snap a photo if I beat the round, whereas the Game Over screen stays up until you press a button.  I don't know how on earth one would point scum on this game, but either way, I'm done.  Here's my Monday score for @docile tapeworm to beat this week (I added two photos since the picture quality sucks):  402,000   🙂

Muscle 1.JPG

Muscle 2.JPG

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Basil watched me get to Round 11 on the weekend, so 10 is very much doable.  I'll post my score here when I get an "official" one.

EDIT: WOOOOOOOW...as easy as it was to get far on the NES, it's far more difficult on my computer.  The controller input is way too sensitive on the emulator...gonna probably have to dig up the cart from the mess of boxes I have...good thing I also need to dig up another cart for an unrelated reason 😛

Edited by the_wizard_666

9 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Once I figured out how to win one fight, I went on this run. Fun once you get the gist.

Round 10 - 386,937

Yeah, the only real question is how do you maximize your points?  Or will it just be a ton of very close scores all bunched together at Round 10?  I guess this is @0xDEAFC0DE's specialty... 😉

• Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Yeah, the only real question is how do you maximize your points?  Or will it just be a ton of very close scores all bunched together at Round 10?  I guess this is @0xDEAFC0DE's specialty... 😉

My first guess is the karate champ strategy. Burn a life on each fighter getting them down to their last legs to maximize points beforehand. I was just trying to win and didnt really lose any points until like round 7 or so

6 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

My first guess is the karate champ strategy. Burn a life on each fighter getting them down to their last legs to maximize points beforehand. I was just trying to win and didnt really lose any points until like round 7 or so

Yeah, and it gives you an extra 5k if you win the round 2-0 instead of dropping a match and going 2-1 (10k bonus vs 5k bonus).  So another question would be: is it possible to get more than 5k in points in a loss to make dropping one match per round on purpose a strategy?  I certainly won't be trying this out, but it's something to think about for the point scummers of the world...

583,122 - Round 10 Won

IMG_20210901_221400.jpg.6a6b3524d83afad4d904ad5b84e51a5a.jpg

I figured out the scoring, and did a bit better. I played this one pretty conservatively, so there's a lot of room to spare. The upper limit is probably 1 million as I've gotten ~100k in a round before, but that pace would be hard to keep up. 

405,543 - Round 10 Won

I finally beat Adventure Island which I've been playing since Saturday, so now I can finally turn off my NES and change the cartridge. Anyway, in my third game, I beat round 10. I had an even better pace in my second game, but unfortunately I died in round 7. I have no clue how the points work, so I'll break those down some other day.

Edited by 0xDEAFC0DE
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1