IGNORED

The 3DS Thread

1 hour ago, LutherDestroysTheGond said:

Surprised no one mentioned Kokopolo at Linited Run Games today.  The standard edition of both games is still available. But the dual pack and CE are all sold out.  

Thanks for the reminder! Only 2500 copies and the game looks interesting yes please. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, LutherDestroysTheGond said:

Surprised no one mentioned Kokopolo at Linited Run Games today.  The standard edition of both games is still available. But the dual pack and CE are all sold out.  

The site broke for orders for many this morning so if you didn't get your order in over the first 2-3ish minutes you got caught in a Shopify glitch for a while.  US folks had a chance, I saw a lot of overseas folks very grumpy because LRG had to go back in and manually reenter shipping tables to be able to process their orders and wave 1 CE/double packs all sold out in that time.  I forgot to check to see how the second drop went, but I'm sure those went fast too.

7 hours ago, PapaStu said:

The site broke for orders for many this morning so if you didn't get your order in over the first 2-3ish minutes you got caught in a Shopify glitch for a while.  US folks had a chance, I saw a lot of overseas folks very grumpy because LRG had to go back in and manually reenter shipping tables to be able to process their orders and wave 1 CE/double packs all sold out in that time.  I forgot to check to see how the second drop went, but I'm sure those went fast too.

I snagged the CE since it seems it's the final 3DS release.  The ordering opened like 90 seconds early so I pounced on it.  I normally don't do CEs, especially with LRG as I was basically paying $30 for stickers and a CD.  Just worried that if I wanted it down the line I'd be gouged by scalpers.  

42 minutes ago, LutherDestroysTheGond said:

I snagged the CE since it seems it's the final 3DS release.  The ordering opened like 90 seconds early so I pounced on it.  I normally don't do CEs, especially with LRG as I was basically paying $30 for stickers and a CD.  Just worried that if I wanted it down the line I'd be gouged by scalpers.  

Only 1000 copies of the CE. That coin looks pretty cool

3 hours ago, LutherDestroysTheGond said:

Ordering was about 2 minutes early and first reports of issues I was seeing on the LRG Discord were at 3 or 4 minutes after the hour.  My whole order was done and squared up by the hour so I missed the address drama.  It did take a hour to sell out of the CE/Double pack, but I think a lot of that was due to the shipping glitch the site was throwing on address verification checks.

Considering how slow Atooi moved I wasn't sure if this drop would follow the same path or if the hype train had blown it up like it has everything else 3DS of late due to the stores closing and the loss of cart production.  Either way, I was up early and grabbed all the LRG numbered stuff for a Friday drop per usual as I've done since SMRPG.

• 1 year later...

Timing was funny, but I finally got my shipping notice for Kokopolo Monday morning, just before Shakedown went on sale.  There is still one more LRG title to come and it's possibly a reprint.  Based on leaks that hit Reddit, photos of a new CE version of Shantae and the Pirates Curse have been shared.

On 11/8/2023 at 11:27 AM, PapaStu said:

Timing was funny, but I finally got my shipping notice for Kokopolo Monday morning, just before Shakedown went on sale.  There is still one more LRG title to come and it's possibly a reprint.  Based on leaks that hit Reddit, photos of a new CE version of Shantae and the Pirates Curse have been shared.

Same, I actually got my Kokopolo Monday. Based on that thread, the ESRB ratings someone else shared and general info from various places, the last few slates of manufacturing are:

* Limited Run's Shantae reprint

* A possible VVVVVV from Nicalis

* Another smaller run of Fragrant Story (different boxart, same cart)

* Whatever reprints Video Games Plus may or may not have ordered.

As an aside, it makes me wonder if there's been any Japanese post retail releases. Europe seems to have gotten only Andros Dunos II and nothing since then, but CERO's site doesn't list ratings online and it's harder to hear about releases from Japan. I would guess the answer to be no though.

4 hours ago, greenthunder said:

Same, I actually got my Kokopolo Monday. Based on that thread, the ESRB ratings someone else shared and general info from various places, the last few slates of manufacturing are:

* A possible VVVVVV from Nicalis

* Another smaller run of Fragrant Story (different boxart, same cart)

* Whatever reprints Video Games Plus may or may not have ordered.

VGP reprints shouldn't hit ESRB notices, they're not 'new' games, just ones that have already been reviewed and approved, getting a fresh print.  VGP hasn't really talked about them much since they said they had more reprints coming. The best time for them to have capitalized on it was as the system and e-shop shuttered. Holding another year doesn't make much business sense.

A second run of Fragrant Story is interesting. There is new cover art on the site, and new coming soon DLC 'Papaya's Path' is listed as a 1.2 build of the game, but i'd be surprised that any additional games got produced, but then again, I'm surprised that a Shantae's reprint is LRG's theoretical final drop too (and Pirates Curse is listed on ESRB's site as an LRG release for the 3DS).

7 hours ago, greenthunder said:

Damn, should I sell my shahtae before the reprint hits?

4 hours ago, PapaStu said:

VGP reprints shouldn't hit ESRB notices, they're not 'new' games, just ones that have already been reviewed and approved, getting a fresh print.  VGP hasn't really talked about them much since they said they had more reprints coming. The best time for them to have capitalized on it was as the system and e-shop shuttered. Holding another year doesn't make much business sense.

A second run of Fragrant Story is interesting. There is new cover art on the site, and new coming soon DLC 'Papaya's Path' is listed as a 1.2 build of the game, but i'd be surprised that any additional games got produced, but then again, I'm surprised that a Shantae's reprint is LRG's theoretical final drop too (and Pirates Curse is listed on ESRB's site as an LRG release for the 3DS).

I mean I'm not expecting VGP reprints to hit ESRB notices ye; I was just stating what is likely in production, reprint or not. Based on what other people have said (someone noted the leaked Shantae carts were printed in Feb 2022), I suspect 3DS games just have a long production period or time between order and companies receiving the order for whatever reason.

Source on the second run of Fragrant Story is from the dev himself, though it's also possible the carts were from his first batch that got mangled and he just ordered new boxes/boxart. Hard to say though because he can't sell them until his patch is cleared.

2 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Damn, should I sell my shahtae before the reprint hits?

Maybe. You'd break even at least if they did a CE only release, which is pretty unlikely, assuming you wanted to pick it up again once it releases.

2 hours ago, greenthunder said:

I mean I'm not expecting VGP reprints to hit ESRB notices ye; I was just stating what is likely in production, reprint or not. Based on what other people have said (someone noted the leaked Shantae carts were printed in Feb 2022), I suspect 3DS games just have a long production period or time between order and companies receiving the order for whatever reason.

Source on the second run of Fragrant Story is from the dev himself, though it's also possible the carts were from his first batch that got mangled and he just ordered new boxes/boxart. Hard to say though because he can't sell them until his patch is cleared.

3DS cartridge production was ended nearly 2 years ago (all final orders were due 12-31-21). There isn't anything in any production pipelines at this point. Assembly maybe... but nothing is in production.  The ESRB doesn't trigger recertifications for reprints so VGP stuff won't ever show up there. Best I can tell, that only comes up with a new Publisher gets their hands on a game.  I haven't seen the print dates on Kokopolo but I'd guess that they would fall in the same time frame as the Shantae PC reprint.

Josh has told me that they weren't going to release it (their final game) until it was all fully assembled (and I'm assuming now that we can clearly see that's happened) and the shipping dept was in better shape.  I've got no clue how bad their backlog is anymore but with Kokopolo finally going out, it may be a smart drop to help close out the year, especially if their release schedule is light (which right now, only has titles dropping next week, and event exclusives that have been posted for months).

15 hours ago, PapaStu said:

3DS cartridge production was ended nearly 2 years ago (all final orders were due 12-31-21). There isn't anything in any production pipelines at this point. Assembly maybe... but nothing is in production.  The ESRB doesn't trigger recertifications for reprints so VGP stuff won't ever show up there. Best I can tell, that only comes up with a new Publisher gets their hands on a game.  I haven't seen the print dates on Kokopolo but I'd guess that they would fall in the same time frame as the Shantae PC reprint.

Josh has told me that they weren't going to release it (their final game) until it was all fully assembled (and I'm assuming now that we can clearly see that's happened) and the shipping dept was in better shape.  I've got no clue how bad their backlog is anymore but with Kokopolo finally going out, it may be a smart drop to help close out the year, especially if their release schedule is light (which right now, only has titles dropping next week, and event exclusives that have been posted for months).

I'm confused, I said I agreed any potential future VGP reprints wouldn't show up on ESRB. I guess I should've clarified by what I meant by the last few slates of manufacturing was not that they are currently being printed/assembled, but what games are the last few to be printed/assembled. I'd guess the Kokopolo CE carts, Shantae, the possible VVVVVV, Shakedown Hawaii and anything else was in said last batch. I do agree Shantae will likely happen soon if we're seeing leaks, but of course as you said it hinges on how their shipping department looks now.

• 1 month later...

Seems like the new batch of Fragrant Story is just the carts from the bad batches in new boxes, unsurprisingly. The new releases also have an extra soundtrack CD and some other stuff for the CE, which I'm mildly tempted by but trying to move the copy I already have would be a pain.

I'm mad I keep missing VGP's Shin Megami Tensei 4: Apocalypse restocks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2023 at 3:45 PM, greenthunder said:

Seems like the new batch of Fragrant Story is just the carts from the bad batches in new boxes, unsurprisingly. The new releases also have an extra soundtrack CD and some other stuff for the CE, which I'm mildly tempted by but trying to move the copy I already have would be a pain.

I'm mad I keep missing VGP's Shin Megami Tensei 4: Apocalypse restocks.

Yeah, When I went digging for info after the new version went on sale after the 1.2 patch dropped, there was a note in a Patreon post that the dev said they were just carts that there had been issues with that didn't go out before and were being repackaged and that the batches of them were much smaller than the original release batches were.  They're supposed to ship sometime this month (January).

In other 3DS news, a saved search I've had running for a few years now finally paid off for what I hoped would be a Canadian variant that I'd not been able to verify actually got done that was indeed actually done.  The things you do for a sticker.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, PapaStu said:

Yeah, When I went digging for info after the new version went on sale after the 1.2 patch dropped, there was a note in a Patreon post that the dev said they were just carts that there had been issues with that didn't go out before and were being repackaged and that the batches of them were much smaller than the original release batches were.  They're supposed to ship sometime this month (January).

In other 3DS news, a saved search I've had running for a few years now finally paid off for what I hoped would be a Canadian variant that I'd not been able to verify actually got done that was indeed actually done.  The things you do for a sticker.

How far are you on 3DS variants? Do you collect just external variants like this sticker or the misprint Art Academy or do you collect cart variants as well?

6 hours ago, greenthunder said:

How far are you on 3DS variants? Do you collect just external variants like this sticker or the misprint Art Academy or do you collect cart variants as well?

Currently sitting on just over 500 "variants" in addition to the full NA library.  (Variants include Store exclusives, errors, US/CAN versions, US/CAN Nintendo Selects+ revisions, 'World' editions, US/CAN revisions, a few Mexican cover releases, NOA official refurbs, etc..) I'm down to what may be a few got a Canadian insert (or maybe not) I'm waiting for a hit on, stumbling into other refurb versions I don't have/not yet seen and the need to find a good contact who can grab stuff for me in South America because there's a pathway I'll likely end up needing to go down there too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2024 at 11:46 AM, PapaStu said:

Currently sitting on just over 500 "variants" in addition to the full NA library.  (Variants include Store exclusives, errors, US/CAN versions, US/CAN Nintendo Selects+ revisions, 'World' editions, US/CAN revisions, a few Mexican cover releases, NOA official refurbs, etc..) I'm down to what may be a few got a Canadian insert (or maybe not) I'm waiting for a hit on, stumbling into other refurb versions I don't have/not yet seen and the need to find a good contact who can grab stuff for me in South America because there's a pathway I'll likely end up needing to go down there too.

Any chance you have some of these documented anywhere? 😉 I've seen a good handful of full set collectors floating around, but few if any variant collectors so it'd be interesting to see what the 3DS has.

Also, Shantae reprint finally officially announced. Still mildly disappointed it wasn't an eShop exclusive game, but LRG and Wayforward are always gonna do their thing I guess. I suppose it could be worse since Shantae got fairly expensive as well. I wonder if it means we'll see the theoretical VVVVVV release from Nicalis soon too.

Edited by greenthunder

On 1/17/2024 at 12:26 PM, greenthunder said:

Any chance you have some of these documented anywhere? 😉 I've seen a good handful of full set collectors floating around, but few if any variant collectors so it'd be interesting to see what the 3DS has.

Also, Shantae reprint finally officially announced. Still mildly disappointed it wasn't an eShop exclusive game, but LRG and Wayforward are always gonna do their thing I guess. I suppose it could be worse since Shantae got fairly expensive as well. I wonder if it means we'll see the theoretical VVVVVV release from Nicalis soon too.

I have it all documented in my collection list, It's just not a list that's publicly facing, but it's all verified because these are things I actually own.  I've got a small list that I've got save searches for because I'm speculating that there could be variants to them, based on publisher prior history, and low sample sizes preventing me from discounting one outright. Hell, one I took a long shot hope on because there was a US version finally paid off and was delivered last week. That's a save search I've had going for ~3 years on that whim over a licensing sticker.

I'd say like 90% of them are just Canadian insert variants or Nintendo revision 00000/00001/00002 type stuff, nothing wild, though a few of those revisions/Canadian editions are quite uncommon/rare.  Why'd it take SO long to find a Canadian Green Lantern or Reel Fishing 3D among a few others? Beats me, but it did.

The other 10% are the real variants, like adding in the missing 3D warning on the front of the insert, correcting missing info on the back near the UPC, the addition or removal of an attention burst to the insert art and stuff like that.  I've made a solid stab at the stuff that had sticker call-outs as well, and while I've gotten all the ones I've ever stumbled across (save some of the Target discount to buy snacks at their old store quick serves, those I've got a representative sample of) I know there is more that will eventually come and no list will ever be complete, because that's just how it works.  Hell, we still have NO clue how many 3DS titles even got official refurbs, and I'm still missing one of the known ones to boot.

And lastly, I've got the deeper South American dive still to go further into. That stuff is going to be a true pain.  I'm sure at some point I'll get around to sharing info, but it's not going to be soon because I've yet to even get all of the data into my list (like UPCs, which is a great way to see obvious variants that are often missed) as I've added new fields over time, and then do new searches and sort through everything listed on places like eBay and Mercari all over again (I've done this a few times) for all 420 whatever releases. I just don't always have the time or desire after I get home from work, take care of dinner, family time, chores and the stuff that does matter.

We've still got some more new stuff that's yet to even hit the digital storefront shelves (Shantae reprint) and some other stuff that's still to ship (Fragrant Story 1.2 themed packaging).  Could VVVVVV be hiding in the wings? Sure, but Nicalis sitting on it so long makes little sense at this point.  There are 2 ESRB ratings for it on 3DS so conceivably one could be for digital and the other for a retail release, but they're both basically lacking ANY info to glean anything about why the game was rated twice.

Edited by PapaStu

On 1/22/2024 at 1:29 AM, PapaStu said:

We've still got some more new stuff that's yet to even hit the digital storefront shelves (Shantae reprint) and some other stuff that's still to ship (Fragrant Story 1.2 themed packaging).  Could VVVVVV be hiding in the wings? Sure, but Nicalis sitting on it so long makes little sense at this point.  There are 2 ESRB ratings for it on 3DS so conceivably one could be for digital and the other for a retail release, but they're both basically lacking ANY info to glean anything about why the game was rated twice.

It'd be funny/unfortunate if VVVVVV didn't happen at all, because while I don't collect Vita, something very similar happened to it regarding its Vita release. Nicalis apparently ordered test prints of it at the end of the Vita's lifespan, but then for whatever reason a full run never happened so there's just these random copies of VVVVVV floating about with no actual release. For something similar to happen again to the same game would be lightning striking twice.

Tangentially, you mentioning Fragrant Story 1.2 made me check the dev's store and apparently he's planning on sending out a coupon for the new CE stuff for only the price of shipping to people who already bought the game. That's neat of him.

And I hear you regarding keeping track of/hunting down US/Canadian/South American variants. I'm surprised to hear there's Canadian variants of non Nintendo published games, but as you said some of them are uncommon/rare and it's such a niche thing to collect. It definitely sounds rough trying to go for all these variants with barely a hint of their existence.