Console War converts?

Nintegageo

Console War convert?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Console War convert?

• Yep
    • Nope

6 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

I grew up with Game Gear and Genesis but always knew NES/SNES/GB was way better so I'm not really a convert. I didn't convert but moreso was able to live the childhood I always wanted once I started earning money for myself.

In a weird way, that either stung, or allowed you to enjoy the good stuff with your friend you found nicer, but were able to experience what you would likely never bothered with.

My loyalty goes only as far as my interests extend. I went NES-> Genesis -> SNES -> PS -> GameCube -> 360.

Now I have the luxury of owning whatever systems I want so I usually just buy all three and bounce around depending on what I want to play. Multi-platform stuff is on Xbox since they have the best ecosystem and I have a lot of friends there. Otherwise, I keep my loyalty to a minimum.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 2

I didn't, Sony ticked me off in the mid 90s when their shenanigans but I also didn't cold shoulder it enough to be misinformed.  Of all their systems the only ones really to make a lasting impact is PSX and PS3, and as of that, I just have a PSone+LCD combo I keep now.  Been hitting an old school playstation for hours today trying to track an issue, not having any luck as it won't misbehave today like yesterday so lots of hours rolling around SOTN looking.

• Like 1

OH YEAH MAN. WHEN NINTENDIDN'T DO BLOOD IN MORTAL KOMBAT I DISHED OUT FOR A GENESIS.

Actually, nope. I preferred my SNES to my friend's Genesis. It's where the RPGs were. But I never understood why we had to have a winner in this race. I didn't go over to their house and put it on them that they had the loser's system, I just played Sonic with them. All good. I don't own a Genesis rightnow, but I did have a sizeable collection at some point and it was just gathering dust so I ended up selling. The Sega Genesis Classic Mini hits the spot, and the controller I use is a million times better than the og Genesis controllers, which were crap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhyNotZoidberg said:

But I never understood why we had to have a winner in this race. I didn't go over to their house and put it on them that they had the loser's system, I just played Sonic with them. All good. 

I said this before, but my best friend at the time had a Genesis and I had an SNES, but neither of us fought about it.  Each of us having a different system was the next best thing to having both at home.  It was my best chance to play Genesis games, especially Sonic and the superior MK, and at my house it was my friend's best chance to play SNES games like Super Mario World and the superior MK II.  

It's funny because, since we owned an SNES, I never even tried to ask my parents for a Genesis.  That would have been like asking for a million dollars.  

• Like 1

Back in 1995, I was super looking forward to the Sega Saturn. I knew Sega well and their franchises. I loved the Genesis and actually have fond memories of the Sega CD as well. PlayStation didn't really look appealing to me, and I remember reading the Sony America was discouraging 2D games and RPGs, which was a major turn-off for me.

Buuuuuuut.... once I actually got to try the PS1 out, I fell in love. Tekken, Twisted Metal, Doom, Warhawk, Wipeout, Air Combat, etc all blew me away and I was hooked. By the time I could actually afford a new console in '97, Final Fantasy VII was coming out and by then it was a no-brainer.

Once again, I got excited about Sega when the Dreamcast came out. For awhile it was legit fun, but I quickly realized it was going to mostly be arcade ports and not a whole lot of the games I wanted to play. Once PS2 came out I got that and never looked back. To this day, I've barely touched my poor Dreamcast compared to the PS2.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WhyNotZoidberg said:

OH YEAH MAN. WHEN NINTENDIDN'T DO BLOOD IN MORTAL KOMBAT I DISHED OUT FOR A GENESIS.

Actually, nope. I preferred my SNES to my friend's Genesis. It's where the RPGs were. But I never understood why we had to have a winner in this race. I didn't go over to their house and put it on them that they had the loser's system, I just played Sonic with them. All good. I don't own a Genesis rightnow, but I did have a sizeable collection at some point and it was just gathering dust so I ended up selling. The Sega Genesis Classic Mini hits the spot, and the controller I use is a million times better than the og Genesis controllers, which were crap.

Same here entirely, well the part of not having a system currently but the mini (mom got me it the year it came out as a surprise for christmas and it's robust for certain.  The thing is I put up with the Immortal Kombat SNES game, why?  Control/Gameplay, Audio, Visuals(minus blood and original fatality animations) were very intact and I had been using it on hard to learn how to school chumps at a local arcade and it worked like a charm (same with SF2 too.)  I'll take a working learning tool that's accurate(accurate enough) over some red gooey chunks and spray as annoying as it was.)

5 minutes ago, cj_robot said:

Buuuuuuut.... once I actually got to try the PS1 out, I fell in love. Tekken, Twisted Metal, Doom, Warhawk, Wipeout, Air Combat, etc all blew me away and I was hooked. By the time I could actually afford a new console in '97, Final Fantasy VII was coming out and by then it was a no-brainer.

Once again, I got excited about Sega when the Dreamcast came out. For awhile it was legit fun, but I quickly realized it was going to mostly be arcade ports and not a whole lot of the games I wanted to play. Once PS2 came out I got that and never looked back. To this day, I've barely touched my poor Dreamcast compared to the PS2.

I got there, in 2001 with the LCD+One combo, the funny thing as sketchy as PS1 stuff looks now, it had some of the most refined and fun games from notable franchise, new ones, or one off games that still stand out now vs what later hardware more or less got. PS3 has that same honor too, and PS2 wow'd me less having a capable PC.  Sony is very hit and miss in my book, but so was Sega far more so (DC was great, SMS/GG too, Gen hit and miss...saturn more so and I imported.)

17 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

i started a thread attempting to find out how many of us who loved nes,super nintendo jumped to ps at that point.

i know i did.

Absolutely. Why would you stick around playing that trash?

The nes and snes are 2 of the best ever made but that doesn't magically make their later systems not suck.

• Like 1
  • Eyeroll 1

21 hours ago, peg said:

Nintendo converted a lot of people away when they released that shitshow n64.

In fairness to Nintendo, at least among my friend group it was a matter of Sony winning converts with the stronger RPG offerings of the PS1 (after SNES had made such a strong showing on that front in the previous generation only for N64 to completely drop the ball) along with other new titles of that era like MGS and Resident Evil.

My older brother is the one who got to decide which consoles we had growing up. I was too young back in the day to ever ask him anything like this but yesterday we did talk about the 90s console wars. He said he just liked Nintendo and that’s why he asked our parents for Nintendo stuff exclusively. Said he never hated Sega or anything, just liked Nintendo. After the N64 and Dreamcast he got a PC and called it a day 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

He said he does think it’s weird how dudes still argue about Nintendo vs. Sega 30 years later though. Sega of America and Nintendo of America knew what they were doing for sure, it’s such an American thing to arbitrarily argue over brands.

• Like 1

It's strange, but in a way, it's also not in the big picture.

Back in the day if you grew up in the 80s and that was your first or second console, Nintendo made an entire generation of gamers that weren't tied to having a truly overactive imagination over some sketchy blocks, or just playing in the arcade.  The merchandising around it, the TV stuff(toons), movies, books, comics, magazines, advertising...you basically had to be on board or be the weird one in many places largely.  That loyalty due to their strong design capabilities of their own in house teams has kept millions on board from each successive generation of hardware since.  Sega though came in after the near monopoly 8bit era and instead of being encouraging, positive...they went hard core negative, insulting even saying you were stupid, color blind, Gump level functional if you used Nintendo.  They were the epic trolls of gaming before either words (epic or troll) were used to describe what their tactics were.  Stuff like that isn't forgotten or in many cases fully forgiven either.  So the adults will remember this crap from when they were kids or teens, and they'll still make the case.  Most of us do, even if you don't want to admit it, but it happens.  Couple together with(as strange said) american brand loyalty to the point of arguing just magnified it further.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2021 at 8:41 AM, Californication said:

I wasn't a convert, but I went from thinking the Genesis was trash to understanding and respecting library.

Edit: Actually I converted from the N64 to the PS1 as an adult.

On 7/18/2021 at 5:18 PM, docile tapeworm said:

i jumped from snes to ps1.

cause that n64 is traaaaaaaaaaash!

Genesis and N64 are not trash.  Zack Morris is trash.  NO FEAR. 😄 

Edited by Estil
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Tanooki said:

It's strange, but in a way, it's also not in the big picture.

Back in the day if you grew up in the 80s and that was your first or second console, Nintendo made an entire generation of gamers that weren't tied to having a truly overactive imagination over some sketchy blocks, or just playing in the arcade.  The merchandising around it, the TV stuff(toons), movies, books, comics, magazines, advertising...you basically had to be on board or be the weird one in many places largely.  That loyalty due to their strong design capabilities of their own in house teams has kept millions on board from each successive generation of hardware since.  Sega though came in after the near monopoly 8bit era and instead of being encouraging, positive...they went hard core negative, insulting even saying you were stupid, color blind, Gump level functional if you used Nintendo.  They were the epic trolls of gaming before either words (epic or troll) were used to describe what their tactics were.  Stuff like that isn't forgotten or in many cases fully forgiven either.  So the adults will remember this crap from when they were kids or teens, and they'll still make the case.  Most of us do, even if you don't want to admit it, but it happens.  Couple together with(as strange said) american brand loyalty to the point of arguing just magnified it further.

I hear you. My counterpoint is that I do think their “Genesis Does” commercial is still one of the best ad campaigns of all time, as proven by the fact that people are still mad at it today, both people that were there for it and kids who weren’t.

After being crushed by the 8-bit monopoly, they came out of the gates swinging. IIRC they had businessmen recommending this sort of branding. Did Sega of Japan advertise the same way or was it just the American businessmen at SoA?

• Like 2

I've never really "converted" or became biased towards a console/handheld/company/whatever. The NES was. still is, and always will be my favorite game system, but I was always willing to play consoles/handhelds/Arcades/PC's from different companies. I liked both Mario and Sonic in the '90's, as well as Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon in the late 90's. I watched and enjoyed both Super Mario Bros. Super Show and Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. Sonic Adventure was probably my favorite game of 1999 and made me want a Dreamcast, which I played several times at a Kiosk in Blockbuster Video but didn't buy until 2019 (I have a black Sega Sports Dreamcast). The fact that Mega Man 8 is on PlayStation/Saturn instead of N64 never bothered me. However, I never "converted." In the 90's, I got a PS1 IN ADDITION to an N64 and enjoyed both. I visited Arcades often and played the Arcade versions of Cruis'n USA and San Francisco Rush IN ADDITION to the N64 versions. Heck, I was even willing to at least TRY the PS1 version of San Francisco Rush even through it is obviously inferior to the Arcade and N64 versions. I played and enjoyed the Xbox versions of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4, The Simpsons Hit & Run, and Backyard Wrestling with friends IN ADDITION to numerous games for PS2 and GameCube. I played several PC and Flash Games (Sonic 3D Blast, the flash games on Nintendo's Mario Party and Donkey Kong 64 websites, Ultimate Flash Sonic, the Sonic Mega Collection Plus Flash Game that was playable on Sonic Central, and several Mega Man Flash games playable on Iragination and Newgrounds) IN ADDITION to console, handheld, and Arcade games.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Strange said:

I hear you. My counterpoint is that I do think their “Genesis Does” commercial is still one of the best ad campaigns of all time, as proven by the fact that people are still mad at it today, both people that were there for it and kids who weren’t.

When they still kind of flew above board with the ads, that old one of Genesis does was fair, it never once was lying outright, mocking, or insulting either.  It was a fair comparison of like their football vs the NES one, or some other key title.  Totally fair game and wasn't spiteful, it worked, and memorable.  It was the next wave under Stolar for years after with the demeaning stuff, blatant lies, smearing, insults, the works against anyone who dared owned/thought to choose a SNES or a Gameboy in those years in the earlier 90s.  That's when it went too far to being a welcome spiteful turnoff.

Comparing Mario karts racing/slowness towards a side scrolling fast Sonic, not really fair.  Nor was painting Gameboy owners as a greasy walking cases of diabetes with low IQ and colorblindness because you didn't own or want to have a Game Gear.  Yeah... F U on that one Sega.  All these yaers, anything I ever owned Game Gear wise, SECOND HAND. 😄

• Like 1

@Tanooki I think Sega was angry due to Nintendo's not allowing 3rd party devs to work with other consoles. Nintendo has a nice image with their games though they can be pretty ruthless business-wise. Sega was pissed and could actually argue their point as a gaming (arcade) juggernaut in their own right. I think that is a reason this particular rivalry is remembered. Sony and Microsoft are not gaming companies.

Oh and I am with the people who didn't really argue which console was superior. I had an SNES and prior to owning a Genesis, really enjoyed playing it when I had access to play the console.

• Like 1