IGNORED

Console War converts?

Nintegageo

Console War convert?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Console War convert?

• Yep
    • Nope

Yeah I'm sure they were, that 2yr exclusivity they pulled would piss off any competitor.  But still, that does vs doesn't was excellent, it worked, no way to rebut it either.  But is it really wise to get mad, then insult your actual base of customers?  Hey you're a mother f'n moron, buy our stuff so you look less stupid!  Excellent ad concept. 😛

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I really never felt like there was a console war back in the day.  To me, it was all about the best looking and sounding games on a console.  It seemed like each year I favored a new console

I went from NES, SMS, rented Genesis like 5 times and SNES  

If I had to choose, I guess I favored the SNES games back in the day. I loved arcade games and the SNES was amazing for games like Street Fighter II, TMNT, Super Off-Road and Smash TV.  

Collection wise I still like the SNES.   but I find the Sega Genesis more fun to collect for.   Mostly because I like old arcade ports. 

But honestly, all those systems are fun 

• Like 1

The Genesis has its moments mostly on unique or uniquely ported games the SNES just lacked, a few too where SNES had it because of poor porting/lazy choices how how Mickey Mania got hosed.  I'm going to be a Genesis owner again shortly, a Nomad(yay) and with that I'll be getting an everdrive...and I'll pick up a copy of Virtua Racing as it's awesome.

• Like 2

@NintegageoDo it.  The SNES one they didn't bother porting it correctly, cheapest port possible, and even with cuts on top.  Somehow has lesser quality visuals and color quality than the Genesis, which is already a slap in the face given.  But they removed stages, added in load screens with an animation like it's some CD of all things between stages.  The audio sounds like muffled reprocessed tinny genesis audio dumbed down.  It's an insult, point blank.  Boogerman suffers partly from this too, but only in the visuals side, game is intact otherwise and good.  But to snake Mickey like that is just wrong.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted

Straight up converted.  Sold my NES and games to my aunt for my younger cousin for fifty bucks in '92.  Used that and some chore money to buy a Genesis with the first 2 Sonics. 

We moved away that next summer.  Then in ~ '95 I was home visiting and got to talking to my aunt and she said my cousin never played the Nintendo so I asked if I could have it.  Got all my games back too.

Ended up selling the Genesis that year to buy my first guitar and started collecting Nintendo games on the cheap.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

Straight up converted.  Sold my NES and games to my aunt for my younger cousin for fifty bucks in '92.  Used that and some chore money to buy a Genesis with the first 2 Sonics. 

We moved away that next summer.  Then in ~ '95 I was home visiting and got to talking to my aunt and she said my cousin never played the Nintendo so I asked if I could have it.  Got all my games back too.

Ended up selling the Genesis that year to buy my first guitar and started collecting Nintendo games on the cheap.

Seems the universe decided you chose poorly, so it made things right. 😄  Got to try something out, dump it for something better, and got back the original sacrifice at no charge.  Win, win, and well win again.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 8/5/2021 at 2:52 AM, Homer said:

I really never felt like there was a console war back in the day.

That is interesting hearing different perspectives from that time and what others experienced during the console war (or lack of console war for you).  The war was definitely on at Pleasant View Elementary in Bettendorf, Iowa on the playground.  I vehemently defended the NES to a rich friend of mine who had the Genesis basically right when it came out (I think he got it for Xmas of 1989?).  That kid just went around to all the Nintendo fanboys doing the whole "Genesis does what Nintendon't."  Oh man...good, childish times on the playground during the Console War.

I got the SNES the Xmas it was out (1991, right?).  I felt like I then had the upper hand over the rich kid...who, by the way, had moved on from Genesis to a freakin' Neo Geo AES that Christmas.  I was losing yet again...but the Neo Geo was so above the war, it didn't matter after the first few months of 1992.  I made peace with the kid and wormed my way to be invited over multiple times to play the AES.

I DID, however, convert over to Genesis when my brother and I pooled our money to get a Genesis due to the blood in Mortal Kombat!  😄

• Like 3

On 8/5/2021 at 10:21 PM, JamesRobot said:

You started collecting NES in '95? Jeesh I was 10. 

Events Team · Posted
34 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

You started collecting NES in '95? Jeesh I was 10. 

Yeah, but I don't have a complete set. 😏  It's certainly healthy though.  ~200 in total; ~60 CIB; plus homebrews.  Once prices started creeping up I eased off.  It's difficult for me to spend more than $20 on a Nintendo game. 

• Like 1

By 1995 I was leaving high school and getting my first dip into the world of second hand games, cheap games, so much variety, so much exploration of the unknown -- what a period of time it was.  No internet exposes, arm chair bigmouths, false experts, no loads of faqs, videos, or the rest ruining junk.  Sure there was a smattering of emulators, mostly Japanese (PasoFami) which had a weird format, then iNES which unless you paid, was an issue unless you found a warezed copy of it using the still current format.  Despite that, ROMs got dumped for a few years from that rate into the deep 90s before the set was there.  Those stores were everything to really learn, enjoy, or hate...and move along to the next or play some more.  Back then $100 could get you upwards of 100 games since people dumped them for almost nothing and retail would want maybe $5, flea/garage sales far less.  Shame investors fouled it up.  Imagine being in that era if you were old enough, you could get above the war too, simply because you could grab whatever super cheap and learn and explore.  Nintendon't nothing...hah, it did, plenty, and mostly better as history would play out.  Right Seg...Sammy? 😄

• Like 1

While I was stuck on my NES until '97 due to being poor, I would play anything I had access to.  I would play SNES and Genesis roughly evenly, and I LOVED the 3DO when I'd pool money with my buddies to rent one.  Only played the Turbo once at a birthday party, but it was awesome too.  That carries with me to this day, as I have found pros and cons with every system I have ever played, and would never say I'll never own something because of some foolish notion of brand loyalty.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

and would never say I'll never own something because of some foolish notion of brand loyalty.

I'd agree with that, mostly, but there are valid reasons for blacklisting an entire hardware platform/manufacturer still.  Not out of some foolish I'm taking sides over the competitor bit because of something petty.  I'm thinking bigger, as if the company, their principles and values of what they want to drive (in this case) gamers to do in the industry you consider anywhere from a negative to downright sets you off.

While I've through my very old work, and some friends since, have used the xbox and 360 and the next on a limited basis compared, I would never give microsoft money at all for their hardware or games on it... yet, only on their console line.  They do move their games to PC, and if I like it, that's fine, but that's an entire other thing onto itself.  I never felt their hardware quality was up to snuff, original so so, but the 360 burned that bridge pretty much literally with its issues.  But even beyond that, the whole philosophy they held onto for years.  Charging people fees to play their whole game through a gated paid online service?  Driving developers to be more multi-player centric to the damning level of making campaign (single) in various pools, an after thought, both I find very disgusting.  That stuff put me off ever giving them any 2 coins to rub together on their cut of the console pie.  Nothing to do with Pro Nintendo, Sega, NEC, SNK, Sony, whatever... I just find the damage they did epic level douchiness.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

I'd agree with that, mostly, but there are valid reasons for blacklisting an entire hardware platform/manufacturer still.  Not out of some foolish I'm taking sides over the competitor bit because of something petty.  I'm thinking bigger, as if the company, their principles and values of what they want to drive (in this case) gamers to do in the industry you consider anywhere from a negative to downright sets you off.

While I've through my very old work, and some friends since, have used the xbox and 360 and the next on a limited basis compared, I would never give microsoft money at all for their hardware or games on it... yet, only on their console line.  They do move their games to PC, and if I like it, that's fine, but that's an entire other thing onto itself.  I never felt their hardware quality was up to snuff, original so so, but the 360 burned that bridge pretty much literally with its issues.  But even beyond that, the whole philosophy they held onto for years.  Charging people fees to play their whole game through a gated paid online service?  Driving developers to be more multi-player centric to the damning level of making campaign (single) in various pools, an after thought, both I find very disgusting.  That stuff put me off ever giving them any 2 coins to rub together on their cut of the console pie.  Nothing to do with Pro Nintendo, Sega, NEC, SNK, Sony, whatever... I just find the damage they did epic level douchiness.

See, and I actually prefer Microsoft's hardware over Sony's...the controllers are just more comfortable.  95% of my current/last gen gaming is on the Xbox.  I'm not gonna say I'll never grab a PS4 or PS5, but I'm sure not buying them at full retail when there are no exclusives I wanna play, especially when I hate the controller.  Has nothing to do with the companies though - they both suck really.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2021 at 10:06 PM, Tanooki said:

By 1995 I was leaving high school and getting my first dip into the world of second hand games, cheap games, so much variety, so much exploration of the unknown -- what a period of time it was.  No internet exposes, arm chair bigmouths, false experts, no loads of faqs, videos, or the rest ruining junk.  Sure there was a smattering of emulators, mostly Japanese (PasoFami) which had a weird format, then iNES which unless you paid, was an issue unless you found a warezed copy of it using the still current format.  Despite that, ROMs got dumped for a few years from that rate into the deep 90s before the set was there.  Those stores were everything to really learn, enjoy, or hate...and move along to the next or play some more.  Back then $100 could get you upwards of 100 games since people dumped them for almost nothing and retail would want maybe $5, flea/garage sales far less.  Shame investors fouled it up.  Imagine being in that era if you were old enough, you could get above the war too, simply because you could grab whatever super cheap and learn and explore.  Nintendon't nothing...hah, it did, plenty, and mostly better as history would play out.  Right Seg...Sammy? 😄

I might have amassed a big collection in those days but I discovered emulators first. MAME especially blew my mind.

1 minute ago, Gentlegamer said:

I might have amassed a big collection in those days but I discovered emulators first. MAME especially blew my mind.

Sadly, in my youth that was an experience I'd only have outside of the house.  I didn't get an internet-capable computer until around 2002, when I bought my friend's old one for $50 when he upgraded.  Before that, my PCjr was the only computer I ever owned.

@the_wizard_666 Well I consider the controller more an accessory, those worked fine, I use the PC USB version of the 360 controller since it became PC standard given all those console third party games end up on Steam & GoG anyway for years now.  The original XB at midway failed noticeably more than the PS2 and definitely Gamecube(it was a tank.)  They'd resurface circular scratches into discs, overheat, blow power(internal) supplies in a pop and puff of smoke or more, glitch out...just sucked.  The 360 with its lifetime warranty of sorts due to all the bad design... doesn't instill trust.  Couple that with their F single player, Pay to play online mentality they were enemy #1 in my book.

@Gentlegamer Well I still did, and I had the emulators and ROMs too, thousands, ten  thousand + I dunno, a lot.  Anything Nintendo branded dumped (or helped hack to work once dumped as I was in those groups), Sega from SMS+GG+Gen/MD, 32X, Colecovision, TG16/PCE card set and some ISOs, SNK stuff, plenty of arcade for various emulators and mame too until they got bloated and arrogantly out of control with updates.  I still had the collection, I never let a thing slip away until forced in 2005~ so I had 20 years of stuff from Nintendo, Sega, Sony, SNK, NEC, other odds and ends.  I was into the thousands on games and consoles when the dying hit. 😕  I've always had a mentality that ROMs are just digital fluff with no value behind them, so I rarely use them because I'm not invested in it, still feel that way which is why despite kits, I've got hundreds of games spanning 35-40 years.

I was running my original Xbox since 03 or so, and only blew a cap on it two years ago.  The 360 was a mess because the problem would've been avoided had they not used crap solder on their boards.  The system would literally overheat to the point of melting the solder.  They at least seem to have that aspect figured out since the Xbox One came out, and I've not even heard anything about consistent hardware problems.  It seems those initial fuckups were more due to learning curves than intentionally putting out shoddy products.  Microsoft may have been around since the '80s, but they were always software-oriented until the Xbox came out, so there was definitely a lack of experience at the top.  As for the rest of that, you can't blame a company for catering their product to their actual market.  Their own research shows that the bulk of their players don't even care about single player, they want their multiplayer games, and microtransactions are simply not going anywhere.  Fortnite and Roblox are just too damn profitable for that model to die out.

• Like 1

I'm thinking years ago, first/second gen of their work, that wasn't catering, it was grooming.  There was no roblox then or fortnite. ten plus years too late. 🙂  Saddened me when Sony, then lastly Nintendo started to charge for online use...don't do that on computers (in general, you can get stuff like WoW, Final Fantasy online.)

• Like 1

Thing is, Xbox Live was vastly superior to PSN in terms of quality BECAUSE it was paid for.  Server maintenance is NOT cheap, and the nominal fee made for a noticeable difference in quality.  Once the competition figured out that free wasn't always better, Microsoft started adding "Games With Gold" to be a difference maker - you get a free game every month with the service for the same price as simple online play on the competition?  Sign me up!  Again, the competition followed suit, but then Game Pass came along and improved the formula even more.  So no, I don't see how that argument can really hold weight. 

• Like 1

I was a calm rationale kid consumer. Enjoyed my Nintendo Entertainment System. Then one night when my family was visiting us, this came on. 

It felt like a personal attack. I watched my loved ones eyes turn to shock as perhaps my cool Nintendo was not as cool as I thought.  I laced up my boots, grabbed my sword and shield, and set off to enlist in the greatest war of my generation- The Console Wars. 

• Like 2

Shots fired, recently got a Nomad in a trade and it came with the 6pak, also had NHL 94 lying around from a box of goodies from a month before that. 😄  Not sure why but I still find the original Sonic more endearing than much of the others, despite no spin dash.  Columns well that one is timeless too, and the other games on that bundle are solid choices.

Now I need Virtua Racing...and and everdrive.

Been considering cart only snapping excessively few actual things I liked most (Star Control, Dune, Castlevania, Turtles) for a little variety.

• Like 1