IGNORED

Biggest Value Increase

On 6/30/2021 at 8:51 PM, RH said:

But if we're talking about what is the largest increase in FMV, regardless of what was paid for it, that's a bit tough. It could be my sealed Solatorobo. I got it for $160 value in a trade and it might have been valued at about $175 on eBay at the time. I also paid $150 for Toxic Crusader on the GB. At the time I felt I over paid but it was one of the last 5 GB titles I needed and I hadn't seen a clean copy in the many months I had looked for one. I "over paid" and now it goes for well over double that.

I had one of these, but sold it last year. Still, the prices for sealed haven't really increased all that much since I sold mine for some reason, it was always pretty expensive.

20200615_165601.thumb.jpg.a481913ec543545c6583a3dbc4d8170a.jpg

• Like 3

Probably my copy of Sonic Adventure (for the Dreamcast), because I believe I got it for free. (30 - 40 dollar game now) Only counting items I paid for (in terms of percentage), my copy of Sonic Adventure 2 (again, for Dreamcast) cost ~15 dollars in 2012 and people are buying it for 150 on eBay. In terms of just dollar increase, my poor condition boxed Atari Jaguar was bought for ~100 and would probably sell for ~300 on ebay.

• Like 1

Bought a sealed super Mario advance on gba for $35 back in late 2019, sold recently for $250. So whatever that differential is.

EDIT: oh and a sealed wario land 4 I bought for $80 last year, sold it for $375 around the same time as that Mario advance. 

EDIT 2: oh and a mega man battle network 3: blue version that I bought for $90 mid-2020, has been selling for like $500 lately. So that’s dope. Not selling that one though

Edited by inasuma
  • Like 1

I bought a bundle of 100 Japanese Mega Drive CIBs for 600€+125€ shipping from Spain in 2012, so no customs on top. Can't complain about the price per game and I only had a few JP MD games prior to that. Only one game appeared twice in the entire lot; Daisenpuu aka Twin Hawk. Most games from that lot are at least 20-60€ now and some are easily above 100€ even. The biggest win was Musha Aleste though, which can be 300€+ game nowadays. So Musha Aleste JP MD CIB with 40-60x~ value increase is my biggest one.

Edited by sp1nz
  • Like 1

Y'all seen the prices of Devil's Third & Shantae and the Pirates Curse (Switch)? They are going for around $300 for some reason. Pretty crazy. I bought those for retail price. Also, I got Ribbit King (Gamecube) for $40 in 2019 right before prices went stupid and shot up to $300.

• Like 1

Dang! I wish I had some "got for $1, now worth $1,000" stories like a lot of people here!  But I'm not complaining tho - 

CIB Shantae off eBay for $650 (won the auction...NOT a buy it now lucky grab!) probably about 4 months into when I started collecting (early 2017) probably tops the list...mainly because there just aren't very many games out there that command multiple thousands...

Pocky & Rocky w/Becky CIB for $250 in 2017 off Amazon and Ninja 5-0 CIB a few months later for $250 off ebay are pretty solid $ pick-ups as well...

Oh, and I have 3 NIB Cubivores that I think I got for $300/each probably back in 2017 again...

Man, 2017 was a great year...

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Naked Warrior said:

CIB Shantae off eBay for $650 (won the auction...NOT a buy it now lucky grab!) probably about 4 months into when I started collecting (early 2017) probably tops the list...mainly because there just aren't very many games out there that command multiple thousands...

They must have printed only like 1000 total copies for that game to be so expensive and only CIB... in 2017 lol

I'm really surprised by the rise in Sega Nomad valuation. I used to have two and I sold one because I thought having two was just needless extravagance. What I sold my spare off for was a fraction of what they're worth now; In fact, at last checking, a stock Nomad is worth as much now as a fully modded unit (new screen, capacitors, glass lens, SMS/Region-free mod, etc) was just a few years ago.

On 7/1/2021 at 11:44 AM, Tanooki said:

You know, this got me thinking...original period buys/gifts.

I would imagine, some stuff, despite being the old MSRP still likely could be someones largest increase in value.  Whether it was 90s retail, retail clearance, or even second hand offline shops of the 90s too as they had to direct compete with retail and their drops/supplies.

A random one since it came up, Dracula X SNES.  I don't have the box anymore or what some sick people charge enough for, the registration card, but I do have the game and manual in fantastic shape.  That was like a $40-50 game in the day, definitely neither the book or the game go for even close to that now.

Yet the reverse could be said too.  (On theme) Castlevania III in the day was a $50 game too, the cart and manual alone aren't worth even that now all these decades later despite the huge popularity of it and the franchise.  Things are just strange, because you can jump into Gameboy Castlevania II on there, the game and the manual, and yeah oof the box, ridiculous.  There's like no rhyme or reason for any of it other than when people call foul about manipulation.

I think about this a lot. Sometimes I'm like "That's WAY too much for that game!" and then I think of what it cost at launch. The greatest example is certainly Shaq-Fu, which outlets in America apparently had the audacity to list at 70 USD in 1994. I've seen even higher original MSRPs given for Maximum Carnage, to the point that the game at current inflation would have cost 120USD today. I can't even imagine paying a tenth of that for these games, even CIB (though if you include Shaq's brand-new rap single with the copy of Shaq-Fu, THEN we may have something to talk about 😛 )

• Like 1

Good point there, I remember seeing some of those bogus ads too, I think it was regional ripoff pricing stores testing what they could get away with.  In my area back in those days normally your NES stuff was $40-50 unless it was quite older/basic or clearing to make room for something else.  SNES similarly, but it was more where most of it was $50, with a few exceptions with licensing pushing things up like $10-15 higher, like SF2 was $65 which was awful.  A rare time then I paid more than the going average as it would save me heaps in quarters (and it did.)  In the case of NBA, arcade licensing, comics and other junk, I could see them going more because the third party will gladly pass ripping off the consumer so they don't make less on the game due to increased licensing costs.  I rarely bought licensed games or arcade either, the few I did usually weren't higher, unlike SF2.  MK1 when it dropped was normal, so was NBA Jam.

• Like 1

Most of what I still have of my collection was purchased from about 2002-2015 timeframe, so like others said, basically all of it had appreciated significantly. 

However, one purchase that sticks out for me because at the time I thought I was overpaying (but just had-to-have-it) was a nearly mint CIB big-box Earthbound for $200 in 2011.  My wife got mad at me for wasting money, and I felt guilty about it for a while. How the turntables..

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted

As far as my game collection goes, I don't really know what has or hasn't appreciated in value. I basically stop paying attention to what a game is worth once I finally get my hands on it. 

I have no reason to keep tabs on my collection's value anyway. It's nowhere near substantial enough to insure, and if I thought I was going to sell something I wouldn't have bought it in the first place haha.

-CasualCart

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Events Helper · Posted
8 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

As far as my game collection goes, I don't really know what has or hasn't appreciated in value. I basically stop paying attention to what a game is worth once I finally get my hands on it. 

I have no reason to keep tabs on my collection's value anyway. It's nowhere near substantial enough to insure, and if I thought I was going to sell something I wouldn't have bought it in the first place haha.

-CasualCart

Very much agreed!  I have several games I bought for what i thought was outrageous then, glad I don't have to buy them now.  Who cares 😉  I only care if I don't have it!

Anyway, couldn't agree more with your outlook!  

• Like 3

On 7/3/2021 at 5:12 PM, Andy_Bogomil said:

Without a doubt my VGA Mario 64 in terms of $ amount. In terms of percentage, probably one of the random games I picked up for a a few dollars that are now worth a few hundred like Sqoon or Ninja Gaiden Trilogy CIB.

Is it the one I sold you? I regret selling it haha

8 hours ago, CasualCart said:

-CasualCart

This is pretty much why all my gaming stuff has appreciated so much: I've owned it forever because I ain't no greasy flipper!  And I, as well, never plan on selling any of it (can't even stand having dupes) so I don't really care how much my stuff is worth at all, once it's in my collection...

• Like 2