• Nintendo
    • Nintendos
    • Nintendo's
    • Nintendoes
    • Nintendi
    • Nintendae
    • Nintendeux
    • Other

For a moment I thought ending in I before reading the poll would be funny.

Thinking back over the years, it has been Nintendos, though I could see a case for just calling it Nintendo alone too so I'm split.  Some names don't rightly get plurality.  A grocery chain(big) in this area is called KROGER.  They always call themselves that, even in the plural, the only time I've ever seen it called Krogers is by random people in print or speech.

Thinking about it more, I'm kind of leaning that way, but habit put the S on it. 😄

• Like 2

Events Team · Posted

Argument III: Nintendo's

*You fool! Apostrophe S can only indicate posession. 

Wrong! There are a few rare instances where apostrophe is indeed acceptable or even the standard.

In the matter of plural capital letters, AP style recommends the apostrophe S to indicate the plural (Chicago states to just add an S).

You know your three R's, right? Readin', ritin' and 'rithmetic.  

And in the case of single numerals, both AP and Chicago style recommend the the apostrophe. 

I hit the jackpot on the slots!  Straight 7's.  I'm gonna buy a dozen Nintendo's with all my winnings!

https://www.dailywritingtips.com/forming-plurals-with-s/

Edited by JamesRobot
  • Like 2
  • Wow! 1

4 hours ago, Tanooki said:

A grocery chain(big) in this area is called KROGER.  They always call themselves that, even in the plural, the only time I've ever seen it called Krogers is by random people in print or speech.

If we’re talking about a company, this is only sensible. If the context is locations, adding an s makes sense, but that is vernacular, not corporate speech. Joe Blow would say “there are 3 Krogers in County X,” but KROGER Inc. would say “KROGER™ has 3 stores/there are 3 KROGER™ locations in County X.” There is no reason for Joe Blow to adhere to the corporate branding accepted language in mundane conversation.

But it’s irrelevant to the OP, which is about a consumer item, rather than a store or brand. If KROGER sold a Kroger Item Widget that was as synonymous with their brand as the NES was for Nintendo, and most people called the KIW “a Kroger”, then certainly two of them would be called “two Krogers”. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

Argument B: Nintendoes

Potato  Potatoes 

Tomato  Tomatoes 

Torpedo  Torpedoes 

Nintendo  Nintendoes

Or

Nintendoes what Sega don't

I mean this argument to me says that it can't be Nintendoes because it's already a word that means something else, it's what Nintendoes.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

Argument B: Nintendoes

Potato  Potatoes 

Tomato  Tomatoes 

Torpedo  Torpedoes 

Nintendo  Nintendoes

Or

Nintendoes what Sega don't

I had this exact thought in the early morning today when I awoke.  I'm not a word nerd (I say that as a loving expression) by any stretch but from my recollection and consideration, it seems that when a word ends with a long "o", you add an "es" at the end to tip off the reader that you say "-ohs" rather than "-ahs" like the examples given by JamesRobot.

However, rules are sometimes different for transliterated text from other languages.  Whenever the rules were defined for converting Japanese text to English sounding counter-text, I'm not sure if it was implied that if an "-o" is at the end of a word, you should always assume it's an "-oh" sound, rather than "ah" and the "e" of "-es" is redundant.

My initial vote was "Nintendos", but I actually tend to agree with @twiztor since it's a proper noun and is likely not to be pluralized. Helping words like "systems" should likely be used for clarification and possession.  However, if that's not the case and Nintendo can be pluralized, it might actually be "Nintendoes".

• Like 2

Events Team · Posted
2 hours ago, twiztor said:

i believe Nintendo, like Lego, does not get pluralized. You may have two Nintendo systems, but there is only one Nintendo.

When you were a kid, did you "play Legos" or "play with your Lego Bricks System™ "?

Before the Super Nintendo released, everyone just played their Nintendo(s). 

• Like 1