• Nintendos
    • Nintendo's
    • Nintendoes
    • Nintendi
    • Nintendae
    • Nintendeux
    • Other

11 hours ago, fcgamer said:

天堂 (tendo) means heaven/paradise, if you were talking about two different heavens or something in Japanese, how would you make it plural? Maybe we need to do the same format to make it a plural here.

As @phart010 referenced above, there is no plural in Japanese, so you would need the rest of the sentence to explicitly state the number of Nintendies or at least imply the existence of multiple Nintendies.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Link said:

If we’re talking about a company, this is only sensible. If the context is locations, adding an s makes sense, but that is vernacular, not corporate speech. Joe Blow would say “there are 3 Krogers in County X,” but KROGER Inc. would say “KROGER™ has 3 stores/there are 3 KROGER™ locations in County X.” There is no reason for Joe Blow to adhere to the corporate branding accepted language in mundane conversation.

But it’s irrelevant to the OP, which is about a consumer item, rather than a store or brand. If KROGER sold a Kroger Item Widget that was as synonymous with their brand as the NES was for Nintendo, and most people called the KIW “a Kroger”, then certainly two of them would be called “two Krogers”. 

Aware, and agree.  I should have been clear.  I meant like two people talking, and saying, sorry I got stuff to do, I'm going to Krogers (not that there are 2 Krogers across town.)

• Like 1

The -s plural is what everyone Ive ever met has intuitively used - Nintendos. Even the examples above of words where apparently this isnt used, it seems entirely regular. "Samurais are cooler than otakus." The only reason I can think to avoid this is for purely print purposes as maybe one wouldnt recognize to pronounce the s as a plural with the z sound. In that case you could use the cool street spelling "Nintendoz", bro. The Latin endings only occur in English when academic people insist on using the original Latin grammar despite speaking English. The plural = same as singular doesnt really make sense because Im pretty sure people just do that on words that are funny to pronounce like fish instead of fishes. Another alternative could be to use the irregular plural suffix -en as in oxen, children, brethren. So "Nintenden" or "Nintendoen." 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...