IGNORED

Adventure Island - Best Dino?

Gloves

Adventure Island Dinos, who's the coolest of 'em all?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your personal fave

• Magma (Red)
    • Taylor (Blue)
    • Classie (Water)
    • Don-Don (Flying)
    • Poley (Green)

Administrator · Posted

So I've been playing the Adventure Island series, and it got me wondering if anyone else had a dino they liked more than the rest. Unfortunately relatively short-lived in terms of the whole series, only appearing in three games to my knowledge (AI2, AI3, and AI2 for GB), my childhood games were simply AI2 and 3 so they were an essential part of the formula for me, personally. 

image.png

"Magma", the red Camptosaurus.

He spits fireballs and can walk on lava. This was more valuable in AI3 where a few of the hidden secrets in levels were in paths only accessible while walking on the lava, making him invaluable if you want to get the bonuses. Also his fireball is probably the best attack as it shoots out in the middle of the sprite, making it hit most enemies both low and high.

image.png

"Taylor", the blue Camptosaurus.

An interesting name for a dinosaur, clearly some developer's wife came up with it (my wife would name a cat "Larry", what's up with that?). This guy can walk on ice without sliding around, which if you've played an Adventure Island game, you know that slippery ice can be a sure way to get yourself killed; speed + ice = death. His attack shoots low, which is fine, but not as all-reaching as Magma's. If I recall, his projectile also shoots faster than Magma's, though I'd have to boot up the game and actually use the dinosaurs to check. Call me lazy.

image.png

"Classie", the Elasmosaurus.

Like Lassie, perhaps? Turns out this one is canonically female - today I learned! It's been a while since I last read the games' manuals. As a kid I thought this dino was wearing an eyepatch for some reason, despite that all of the dinos have black eyes. That said, now reading the manual, it turns out she's wearing sunglasses?? Maybe little me wasn't so crazy after all, though looking at the sprite... what sunglasses? Anyway, she has no attack so you need to bring an axe along, or a boomerang in 3. She does however swim much faster than Master Higgins, and can pop bubbles (which otherwise can easily lead to death from time, or a conveniently placed fish attack).

image.png

"Don-Don", the Pterandon. 

That's not a typo on my part, that's what they put in the manual. Not my fault! He flies, and drops rocks. And he's kinda terrifying to be honest. That's all I really have to say about this guy to be honest. He comes in clutch on the sky levels, at least.

image.png

"Poley", the Tripetaurus.

They can't have just said "Triceratops"? As far as I'm aware this is a made up name for a dino, but it's kinda whatever. "This guy can rock, but he really knows how to roll!", according to the manual. He only shows up in AI3 and the Game Boy game Aliens in Paradise, and he's very unique in his design. As opposed to the other three dinos with built-in attacks, this guy uses his body to spin attack a'la Sonic the Hedgehog (AI3 released July '92, Sonic in June '91 - coincidence?). I always found this one a bit difficult to use, but I can see how being able to very quickly turn your physical form into a spinning ball of death might have merit; the problem comes when enemies use projectiles which you can't defend against and suddenly the physical attack feels like a detriment.

• Like 1

Funny thing is I never had a favorite, nor ever truly played the game heavily enough to get really into it either.  To be fair, some of it was their form of timer, the diabetes meter I'd joke since he's always stuffing his face.  Coupled with it being semi-long, and no warps or saves I have been casual with it vs other Wonderboy titles.  Oddly I enjoy the two 'vania'style games #4 and AI2(SNES) on these and the Dino's I don't believe are in either.

I did end up with AI2 (AI3) on the Gameboy though, that does have a password, but no color there, so I'm not sure which I like but given more of my play time has been the 3rd(2nd on GB) I'd go with magma in that case with the balls and fire walking being very useful.

Administrator · Posted
14 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Funny thing is I never had a favorite, nor ever truly played the game heavily enough to get really into it either.  To be fair, some of it was their form of timer, the diabetes meter I'd joke since he's always stuffing his face.  Coupled with it being semi-long, and no warps or saves I have been casual with it vs other Wonderboy titles.  Oddly I enjoy the two 'vania'style games #4 and AI2(SNES) on these and the Dino's I don't believe are in either.

I did end up with AI2 (AI3) on the Gameboy though, that does have a password, but no color there, so I'm not sure which I like but given more of my play time has been the 3rd(2nd on GB) I'd go with magma in that case with the balls and fire walking being very useful.

AI2 and 3 do actually have warps; in the like 2nd or 3rd level of each island there's a pterodactyl that'll offer to carry you to the next island.

On 11/8/2023 at 2:10 PM, Gloves said:

AI2 and 3 do actually have warps; in the like 2nd or 3rd level of each island there's a pterodactyl that'll offer to carry you to the next island.

Interesting, I haven't touched it in awhile, had actually put the GB game up for sale and had been having second thoughts about it as I skim off more stuff locally.