IGNORED

What is your most adrenaline pumping moment in gaming?

G-type

For me, it was scoring a million in Laser Blast. The score changes from "999,999" to "! ! ! ! ! !". They even created a special award patch for people who accomplished this. It takes about 5 or 6 hours to reach that... just mindlessly shooting the tanks in groups of three - "Bam-Bam-Bam". It becomes an almost zen-like meditation, possibly akin to what people marathoning Desert Bus feel. Occasionally you lose a life, but you get new lives so often that it is of no concern. Sometimes, I'd die on purpose... just to break up the monotony.  According to Activision, "David Crane designed that game so that it could be beaten by the random flailings of a spastic monkey." I had been playing for hours. My rhythm was good. I was keeping a comfortable buffer of bonus lives... occasionally it would dip a little too low for comfort and I would have to snap out of my trance and actually start concentrating until I could build the lives back up again. As I crossed the 950k mark, I could see the light at the end of tunnel! Finally, I was going to max it out! As I got into the 980s, I had a string of screwups and dipped down to 1 single life. I began to focus like I never had before. My heart started beating so hard, it felt like a jackhammer in my chest. I was gripping the controls as if my life depended on it. I got things back on track, and finally brought it across the finish line.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Beating Slay the Spire or Darkest Dungeon.  Both had me doubting it would ever happen.  They're cruel games in that regard.  And since permadeath is always on the line, the boss fights get intense, always on the precipice of disaster.

I felt so triumphant when I finally cleared Slay The Spire. It was a hard fought victory, but I loved every moment.

I haven't played Darkest Dungeon - how does it compare?

• Like 2

Back when my wife and I were childless we played a LOT of Guitar Hero.  She would do rhythm and I was the soloist/lead.  It was interesting how on later games for two player, they made the second player play bass or rhythm that way.

Anyway, I would play more than she would and for me it was about trying to get through all songs at their highest difficulty.  On GH3, I could do Sweet Child of Mine on the top difficulty.  Usually, it was tough to beat but some times I'd get into the zone.  I don't believe I ever got 100%, but I do recall that my old friends got together for a mega gaming/LAN party and someone had GH3 for the PS3.  I picked it up, started playing and by luck, it was my best run.  I think I got in the 99% range.

As the guy who is usually the worst at any given game it was kind of nice, for once, to be the top dog by a mile. 

• Like 5

Editorials Team · Posted
31 minutes ago, noiseredux said:

I felt so triumphant when I finally cleared Slay The Spire. It was a hard fought victory, but I loved every moment.

I haven't played Darkest Dungeon - how does it compare?

Probably even more stressful.  But it does have a clear path to victory you can work towards.  STS is more dependent on runs where everything comes together.

I couldn't knock anyone out until much later and as soon as only 10 players were left, well...I knew they were going to gang up on me, and I was getting desperate when only 2 or 3 players were left. Also, I got lucky here (3 minutes into the video):

pacman99screen.jpg.6bd92037d49839d99527c447516c908e.jpg

Yeah...I could've lost there, but didn't.

I've had several intense moments playing Mario Kart 8 Deluxe as well, but not quite as intense as this.

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 3

I'd say any pretty much all the bosses in any given "Streets of Rage" game.  It's the fight anticipation along with the music.

Except maybe Yamato and the final Boss in SOR3, those guys are a breeze.

Burnout 3, Road Rage event. I was totally in the zone one night, and happy I managed to finally break 100 takedowns in a single race, but kept going.  As the number climbed closer and closer to 200, I was getting anxious and pumped to see where I was going to end up. Slamming cars, dodging traffic, all while running in a car that hit "Damage Critical" at like 110. Somehow, some mix of skill and luck got me to 235 Takedowns. Knowing that one-hit death at 200mph was coming was intense.

• Like 3

I have to give my most adrenaline inducing stamp to competitive FPS in the form of:

ClanBase Summer Cup 2004 - Medal of Honor: Allied Assault: Spearhead - Objective Realism 5v5 Bronze Match.

My clan won the bronze. We had to play our worst map against a clan that is basically the best on that map (well there were only 3 competitive official maps out of which 2 were played per match but we were really not great at that map). Lots of unconventional strategies were used and that was a very nerve wracking and exhilarating match. I tied in MVP votes but my clanmate got the MVP due to having a nickname starting with earlier alphabet. I wish ClanBase still existed, so I could still see the stats and things.

• Like 3

Million Arthur: Arcana Blood.

It was around February, 2018, post-Valentine's Day. I visited an actual arcade in Akihabara while I waited for Mandarake to decide how much they were willing to pay for the item I was prepared to sell to them. This was also my first time playing the fighter and I ended up choosing Twinblade Arthur. Mostly because that was my "dual-wielding" phase. All I know, and still remember, is that my mind was prepared to lose at some point in the game. But my body? It pimp slapped that feeling while only losing a single round in two different fights. With me only using a single 100 yen coin to beat it.

I never played it again. And I can only say that is the second time I had any luck in Akiba.

• Like 3

I cannot recall many from my childhood. One I for sure can recall is playing Alien vs. Predator on the Jaguar, but that also has to do with the game being fairly suspenseful.

As adult I remember being pumped when I finally finished Pitfall! on the 2600 for the first time. Not a perfect run, but just getting all 32 treasures.

I also remember in Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn when I won the battle with the Twisted Rune. I had won the battle a few times, but at great cost. Either party member deaths or maybe some level drains that were not reversible. It has been a while. I finally did it without losing one single hit point. I had to use two very rare Protection from Magic scrolls, but I didi it.

• Like 3

I'd say it was beating Mike Tyson in Mike Tyson's Punch Out for the first time since I couldn't ever do it as a kid. I was so nervous that I was literally shaking and could barely breathe. I don't think that I've ever had that reaction from playing a video game before or since then.

• Like 5

Here are some notable moments for me:

Beating Life Force 1cc. (and for the record I did die twice, but in places where I was able to re-equip my ship so didn't need to reset the game)

Fighting the Colossus in God of War was pretty cool. I mean, it was the first boss of the game so it's not so much the difficulty but the feeling of epicness was real. 

More recently finishing first in SMB35 was always pretty satisfying.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WhyNotZoidberg said:

Beating Life Force 1cc. (and for the record I did die twice, but in places where I was able to re-equip my ship so didn't need to reset the game)

ooh, shmups are a good call. 1CC'ing Deathsmiles was a pretty huge deal for me, cuz I love that game.

Also, reminded me, beating Spelunky for the first time was nail-biting.

• Like 3

When I’m nearing a high score moment in Geometry Wars, the screen is literally stacked with enemies, and I still haven’t been hit once. I then turn into a gaming geek and shout out with a grin “I’m in da zone!” 

The wife usually tells me to calm down (or to shut up) when that happens..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1