IGNORED

Mario Kart 64 vs Diddy Kong Racing

Nintegageo

Which is the superior game?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the superior game?

• Diddy Kong Racing
    • Mario Kart 64

It think we've had this debate before on here, but 100% MK64.

I'm not saying DKR isn't a good game, I just couldn't get into it. I tried as a kid.  I tried on the DS.  I tried when I bought a copy for the N64.  I didn't want a platformer disguised as a kart racer (or vice versa.)  I can see the appeal for many, but to me the experience was 100% about beating times, racing bots and battling friends.  I just didn't care about that extra fluff that was required to unlock levels.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, phart010 said:

Mario Kart.

I think there’s a good reason that they aren’t really making DK Racing games on the regular. No offense if you like DKRacing, but it is what it is

Well, I'd say the real reason why is because it was a Rare game using Nintendo IP.  I'm not going to throw shade at this game.  If I had played it before Mario Kart, there's a chance that I could have gotten into it for what it is.  I just pop in a racing game, and I want to race.  Unlocking stuff just hasn't suited my tastes for this type of game.

BUT, I can see the merits of it.  I could have certainly seen this being a franchise today if Microsoft hadn't purchased Rare.

DKR had a lot more to it (world map, 3 vehicles, more tracks, boss fights). Normally I'm all about getting straight to the meat of a game but the open world and progression of DKR is so much more fun than choosing a difficulty level for a GP in a menu in MK64, racing it, then waiting for your friends to come over so you can actually play the game.

• Like 2

They're not even the same genre.

I chose Mario Kart 64 because to me it's the best in the series so it has that extra shine and I would rather play a top tier kart racing game over an adventure game where 98% of the levels are auto-scrollers and in which the characters happen to be sitting in vehicles.

But if the two titles were competing in the 3D Adventure game category DKR would win.

edit: I really like DKR, but I really didn't like the DS port.

Edited by WhyNotZoidberg
edit: the DRK DS port was lame

Administrator · Posted
22 minutes ago, Nintegageo said:

@RH I think we have in other threads though not an actual dedicated one. Am at work atm and I work 12s so thought it'd be a cool thing to check what people vote 🙂

@phart010 it's pretty good, am curious which you think

The funny part is that it's YOU who made the other thread: 

Do you plan to make this an annual tradition or something?

5 minutes ago, Gloves said:

The funny part is that it's YOU who made the other thread: 

Do you plan to make this an annual tradition or something?

hahahaha that is awesome. Were I to do so it'd be a Christmas tradition as that is generally when I think to play DKR ^_^ love those themed snow levels

You CAN'T make me CHOOSE! You CAN'T! 😭

Ngapa Why Would You Do This To Me GIF

In all seriousness though, I have always drawn the line like this:

Diddy Kong Racing is the superior single player experience, Mario Kart 64 is the superior multiplayer experience.

The adventure aspects, hubworld, mini-games, bosses, coin races and time trials of Diddy Kong Racing BLOW Mario Kart out of the water as a single player game, to be completely honest. I also enjoy all three vehicles you can race in, that REALLY enhances the game as well.

However, Mario Kart 64 is WAY more accessible as a multiplayer game, both in racing and battle mode. The game has a better balance of weapons, the handling is a lot simpler, and the tracks ARE by and large much more memorable and better designed than the DKR tracks.

Mario Kart 64 is also a lot better to just pick up and play even in single player too, so I'll maybe give it the edge... If there can only be one, I think I might have to go with that... But I shouldn't HAVE to damn it! You can pry BOTH games from my cold dead hands! 😤

• Sad 1

@OptOut I actually think you can argue DKR as the multiplayer game to choose. Let's say you want to play with people who are clearly less experienced, then give them the car and you choose the hovercraft. That helps balance things without cheap items ruining the winners' good time. They can only blame themselves not a blue shell or a lightning shot.

2 minutes ago, Nintegageo said:

@OptOut I actually think you can argue DKR as the multiplayer game to choose. Let's say you want to play with people who are clearly less experienced, then give them the car and you choose the hovercraft. That helps balance things without cheap items ruining the winners' good time. They can only blame themselves not a blue shell or a lightning shot.

I'm not really concerned with balance though, when I'm talking multiplayer it's like playing with just complete random family members ranging from cousins to Grandma's, and literal babies.

Mario Kart 64 tracks are way more straightforward in figuring out where to go, and the handling is way sturdier too. The items are also balanced to give that chaotic chance factor that leads to spontaneous hilarity, you don't have to try and explain what the fuggin MAGNET or whatever is supposed to do, lol, or like saving up your balloons for homing rockets...

It's way easier to just get in to a game in Mario Kart with whoever you know, way more accessible.