Mario Kart 64 vs Diddy Kong Racing

Nintegageo

Which is the superior game?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the superior game?

• Diddy Kong Racing
    • Mario Kart 64

27 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

WHAT KIND OF FRICKIN' WEIRDO THROWS A GAME IN THE GARBAGE?

Well now I just send all the garbage downstream to @OptOut 

For awhile I was getting huge sacks of stuff weekly, akin to early 2000s in the States for old games, after a point you either run out of space or (as was my case) thought that I should trim some fat, incase I had to change housing on short notice. DKR was desperately shopped around on NA for low price, CIB, no takers so it became a casualty. 😛

I still got to side with fcgamer on this, and noise, missed it but caught that quote earlier...on point.

2-3 years ago in a bundle and I totally forgot too, we got the DKR game on DS as a loose card.  I tried it again, and that description he slapped down, it's spot on.  It wasn't for me anyway gave it to my daughter, and I did poison the water on her either as I did it alone.  She got bugged with it for basically the same hoops as I quietly observed from a distance, went back to more straight forward stuff that wasn't having to juggle some really obtrusive and annoying to the level of maybe even being considered toxic hoops to proceed with the game.  No thanks.  It's RACING, not do this this this, some that, then a race, and more muddling junk because why not let someone race some more?

It's bright, cute, some good courses, very nice designs on the karts, it's almost enticing, but the rest just weighs it down like some appropriately poured cement shoes.  That's DKR in a nutshell.

• Like 1

I fell in love with Diddy Kong Racing when it was released. Played the battle arenas a lot with a cousin during hot summer afternoons. I didn't know the green boost rule back then, so I was stuck at the first battle with Wizpig. Years later I realised what needed to be done and discovered the final level on the moon, and finally beat the game.

After that, I went back to playing and finishing the game from start at least twice. Last time was three years ago and it was still lots of fun. Of course no surprises anymore, but still amazing. When you're done with the game, you can try beating TT's time in order to unlock his car.

Everytime I play Mario Kart 64, I stop after 10 minutes. I just don't like it. Tried hard to like it but to me, the handling in Diddy Kong Racing feels so much better in my hands.

THIS is my favourite music track in the game. The soundtrack by David Wise is among the finest on the N64. The character selection screen is ridiculously cute and fun, with each character holding a paper with "1" for player one, dancing to the music, with the instruments being different for each character, and them talking when you select them, and doing a funny sound if you confirm or cancel them.

Select Crunch: HI IT'S CRUNCH.
Cancel Crunch: BWEEEH.

• Love 1

• 4 weeks later...

DKR had more vehicles but they rarely gave you any substantial advantage over other vehicle types for the same race. MKart 64 had better level design and better music in my opinion. For years me and a small group of friends would get together and have MKart 64 tournaments because we overall found it superior to DKR. I'm not saying DKR is bad because it's easily the 2nd best racer on N64 in my opinion followed by the Cruis'N series, Beetle Adventure, and Mickey Speedway.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, fcgamer said:

I quite liked the Cruisin series. It would be second choice for me after MK64.

Same here DKR just annoyed me, didn't get the appeal with how the game was handled.  Had it been not DK related by name, had RARE not developed it but someone else (established or not) I think most wouldn't give it a second thought, or at least no more thought than a Sega Racing(with sonic etc) or Crash Nitro Kart style games.

• Like 1