Which is the superior game?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the superior game?

• Diddy Kong Racing
    • Mario Kart 64

1 hour ago, drxandy said:

D K R !

4 player icicle pyramid hands down.

Mk64 is also a very important game but I think to me dkr edges it out because of the vehicles, multiplayer options, and the story element.

Man, I forgot about my Icicle Pyramid days. It's too bad OptOut's family can't figure out how to play DKR because it has some great multiplayer too. Although MK64 block fort is probably my favorite multiplayer map out of any of my options between the two games.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Strange said:

If I’m together with a group of friends, they don’t care about all the extra fuzz of DKR. They just want a quick pick up and play experience. That’s what Mario Kart (and other Mario sports games) has always been best at.

I think this hit on th head of my reasoning for choosing MK64 over DKR. Even if the AI screws me, it's just so easy to pick up and play. Its definitely more of a party game which is Nintendo's specialty.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Man, I forgot about my Icicle Pyramid days. It's too bad OptOut's family can't figure out how to play DKR because it has some great multiplayer too. Although MK64 block fort is probably my favorite multiplayer map out of any of my options between the two games.

BTW, just to update everyone on my pick, I actually VOTED for DKR btw.

Mainly because I guessed that it would be behind in the poll and I think this poll really DESERVES to be 50/50, I'm THAT split on the choice.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Tough choice but I ultimately went with DKR. The story element was fun and the boss battles added an extra challenge. I felt the tracks were generally a lot more interesting overall as well, not that MK64 didn’t have its standouts too. Multiplayer I think they both had their strengths and I loved them both equally. 

• Like 1

Mario Kart 64 is amazing. My brother and I loved everything about it from the start, and we hadn't even played the SNES version.

A few years after getting it, we got DKR, as we thought it would be fun. The only problem was, well, it wasn't.

We tried for days, months, even a few years to get into the game, but we just couldn't. We'd play for hours on end, but then we'd later go and play Mario Kart 64, as we just didn't feel satisfied with DKR. Terrible game, and one of the few that I literally threw in the garbage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/21/2021 at 9:28 AM, RH said:

It think we've had this debate before on here, but 100% MK64.

I'm not saying DKR isn't a good game, I just couldn't get into it. I tried as a kid.  I tried on the DS.  I tried when I bought a copy for the N64.  I didn't want a platformer disguised as a kart racer (or vice versa.)  I can see the appeal for many, but to me the experience was 100% about beating times, racing bots and battling friends.  I just didn't care about that extra fluff that was required to unlock levels.

this is where I'm at. I found a DS copy at a yard sale last year and was excited to finally give it a go. But all the stupid stuff you had to do to just..... play another race? Ugh. Not what I wanted out of a kart racer at all. Played an hour or so and sold it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, noiseredux said:

this is where I'm at. I found a DS copy at a yard sale last year and was excited to finally give it a go. But all the stupid stuff you had to do to just..... play another race? Ugh. Not what I wanted out of a kart racer at all. Played an hour or so and sold it.

Exactly, although both of my copies (N64 and DS) are still on my shelf because I can't bring myself to sell a classic, even if it wasn't for me.  Ha ha.

I do think I could enjoy this game, though.  I just have to restart it and tell myself "it's not a cart racer.  It's a platformer with vehicles".  That might help me get into it.  But, that's not really a high priority above many other games.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Gloves said:

@RH You know you can just input a code to unlock all the tracks and characters, right? Then you can do time trials etc. with full abandon, no adventure mode required.

Nah, I'm not one to look for cheat codes straight away, but in this case, I might make an exception.  Thanks!

2 hours ago, Gloves said:

@RH You know you can just input a code to unlock all the tracks and characters, right? Then you can do time trials etc. with full abandon, no adventure mode required.

If you gotta cheat to try to make it good, there's likely something fundamentally wrong with it.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
Just now, fcgamer said:

If you gotta cheat to try to make it good, there's likely something fundamentally wrong with it.

You're completely ignoring the context of the conversation.

Dude doesn't wanna have to play the Adventure Mode, and there's a way around having to do so. He personally doesn't like that aspect of the game (a key aspect, and a major selling point for most people who like the game). He's the niche, but he's still accounted for

You sound like the guy that doesn't wanna play Goldeneye multiplayer with Big Heads on cuz it's "Not the way it was intended to be played".

10 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Mario Kart 64 is amazing. My brother and I loved everything about it from the start, and we hadn't even played the SNES version.

A few years after getting it, we got DKR, as we thought it would be fun. The only problem was, well, it wasn't.

We tried for days, months, even a few years to get into the game, but we just couldn't. We'd play for hours on end, but then we'd later go and play Mario Kart 64, as we just didn't feel satisfied with DKR. Terrible game, and one of the few that I literally threw in the garbage.

I didn't waste my cash on it, my brother did, and I could hear him getting pissed off at it as much if not more than enjoying it, especially just on some of the course designs, the mechanics of the non-carts, and really that coin challenge more than ever.  I found the game not fun in the same way, I tried it, a few times, last time maybe a decade back at most when I found one second hand, and it still does nothing but borderline annoy and bore me.

MK64 all the way.  Sometimes LESS is MORE.  Added vehicles, added dopey modes, and extreme this and that took DKR down a bad road.  Hell it took MK into the start of being shit too with the Wii release...ugh.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Gloves said:

You're completely ignoring the context of the conversation.

Dude doesn't wanna have to play the Adventure Mode, and there's a way around having to do so. He personally doesn't like that aspect of the game (a key aspect, and a major selling point for most people who like the game). He's the niche, but he's still accounted for

You sound like the guy that doesn't wanna play Goldeneye multiplayer with Big Heads on cuz it's "Not the way it was intended to be played".

I am another person who hated the adventure mode / aspects.

On 6/24/2021 at 5:18 AM, fcgamer said:

lol You sir are the strongest upstream swimmer I ever came across on a forum.

On 6/24/2021 at 9:12 AM, noiseredux said:

I like DKR on N64, and I was super excited to get it on DS, but it turns out I couldn't play it for more than 10 minutes before turning it off and selling it back. Something lost in translation there. It lacks charm. From the get go, I missed being greeted by Taj yelling DIDDYYYYYYYY

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, WhyNotZoidberg said:

Thanks, I'll take that as a compliment 🙂

Was Taj the genie or whatever? My brother and I hated that aspect of the game, it felt a little dumb to us.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, WhyNotZoidberg said:

I love it 😂

WHAT KIND OF FRICKIN' WEIRDO THROWS A GAME IN THE GARBAGE?

...I mean, I once threw Scurge for DS out into a field.  But to my defense I was pretty loaded, so I have an excuse.  A juvenile one, but an excuse nonetheless