IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Silk Worm!

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome for another week of our NES weekly contest!
This week there will be MUCH shooting happening as our players tackle Silk Worm!
A shooter game which is most complex to come up with working rules for...

But nonetheless, here there are:

• 1 life only
  • Play Heli or Jeep, your choice.
  • If you die, pause the game at the start of your new life and take your picture.
  • Since the game doesn't show your score and lives during the boss phase, pause and take your picture before the boss of the wave to post in case you die to the boss.
  • Play till you get to wave 8 boss.
  • Pause the game right before you get to the wave 8 boss to get your final score.
  • I strongly suggest that you all watch playthrough of this game to know when the boss of the wave is about to come up.
  • Point pressing at the bosses is not allowed.
  • Highest score win
  • Genre: Shooter

The game doesn't seem to have a highscore screen, so unfortunately, those are the rules we have to run with. They are messy, I know, but the game doesn't help it.

13_Silk_Worm_Sage.png.59d473e9c09a7d589a

The contest ends Sunday, 06/13/21 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

• Like 2

Events Team · Posted
1st bertsampson 1,183,500
2nd NESfiend 828,100
3rd Jeevan 635,200
4th Dr. Morbis 246,100
5th mbd39 207,100
6th dvertov 74,000
7th Ausden 70,300
8th RH 65,400
9th PII 47,700
10th JamesRobot 37,500
11th FireHazard51 26,900
12th 0xDEAFC0DE 11,900
13th Krunch 1,000
  • Like 1

Battletoads will definitely be a tough act to follow, but this game seems pretty damn good. I played as the chopper some when I first put the game on my flash cart before the season. Seemed like a fun, and maybe more importantly, fair, shooter. @docile tapewormshould be all over it. 

If anyone does beat it, be sure to pop into the NES completions thread and mark it done. Pretty sure its one of the last 40 or so out there to be beat this year 

• Like 1

Used to pop this one in once in a while with a buddy for a little 2player action.  One-player/one life is a tough call to answer...

UPDATE:  ..Think I get now why it's one life..

Paused as soon as I died presuming that's acceptable..

Edited by PII

6 hours ago, bertsampson said:

1237595186_VGS12-Silkworm.jpg.153762c3f811d1cf62df22f63339e3bc.jpg

I beat the game too.  I died several times to do so, but great game!

758848693_VGS12-Silkworm3.jpg.97b7c5d4a33be34b63f1a46147698590.jpg

Congrats on beating the game. You should take credit over on the "complete every NES game" thread since it's one of the few remaining unbeaten.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bertsampson said:

1237595186_VGS12-Silkworm.jpg.153762c3f811d1cf62df22f63339e3bc.jpg

I beat the game too.  I died several times to do so, but great game!

758848693_VGS12-Silkworm3.jpg.97b7c5d4a33be34b63f1a46147698590.jpg

A week where Bert beats it early with an insane score and the rest of us play for 2nd. Is it 2020 again? Wheres the backhanded kudos followed by trash talk from Doug?

You are a beast bert. Still searching for those thumb steroids you are juicin on

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NESfiend said:

A week where Bert beats it early with an insane score and the rest of us play for 2nd. Is it 2020 again? Wheres the backhanded kudos followed by trash talk from Doug?

You are a beast bert. Still searching for those thumb steroids you are juicin on

Wave 8 is hard to do without dying, but the rest of the game is a breeze.  No steroids necessary when you just hold down the shoot button.

10 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Congrats on beating the game. You should take credit over on the "complete every NES game" thread since it's one of the few remaining unbeaten.

Hey thanks.  I went for high score back on the old site with the scoreboard.  I didn't beat it then, but with the exception of wave 8, I'd say it's about the same difficulty as Legendary Wings.  I posted up my completion on the other thread as well.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, bertsampson said:

Hey thanks.  I went for high score back on the old site with the scoreboard.  I didn't beat it then, but with the exception of wave 8, I'd say it's about the same difficulty as Legendary Wings.  I posted up my completion on the other thread as well.

What do you think is the hardest NES shooter? Are there any that give you trouble?

3 hours ago, mbd39 said:

What do you think is the hardest NES shooter? Are there any that give you trouble?

There are plenty of harder ones, but once you learn the sections that you can't avoid unless you know they're coming, they get pretty easy.  Life Force comes to mind.  If you don't know what's coming, you'll die often.  Silver Surfer is a harder Legendary Wings.  1943 requires some planning, and honestly, if I played it right now, I probably wouldn't beat it my first few attempts.  It may come as a surprise, but I'm not so good at Galaga.  I know people can play it forever, but I'm only good for 25 levels or so.

Hardest shooter?  Duck Hunt from ten feet away.

14 hours ago, NESfiend said:

The banter seems to be lacking overall this week when there are only 15 replies and three scores posted on a Thursday. It feels like 2011. Also, congratulations to @bertsampson for beating the game for the complete every NES game thread. It's about time he did something useful.

3 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

The banter seems to be lacking overall this week when there are only 15 replies and three scores posted on a Thursday. It feels like 2011. Also, congratulations to @bertsampson for beating the game for the complete every NES game thread. It's about time he did something useful.

I don't know how useful it is that I beat a game, but I was surprised that Silkworm hadn't been beaten yet.  It's not an especially difficult game.  With a no death requirement, I had plenty of lives left for the final boss.

1 hour ago, bertsampson said:

I don't know how useful it is that I beat a game, but I was surprised that Silkworm hadn't been beaten yet.  It's not an especially difficult game.  With a no death requirement, I had plenty of lives left for the final boss.

I've never played it. Most of the games left aren't the best, but every once in a while there's still a few good ones left on the board.

28 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I've never played it. Most of the games left aren't the best, but every once in a while there's still a few good ones left on the board.

Oh, don't get me wrong.  Silkworm is a fun game.  It's just not all that hard.  It doesn't take all that long to go through it either.  Now, Elevator Action?  That's a tough game.  I can't beat level 4!

39 minutes ago, bertsampson said:

Oh, don't get me wrong.  Silkworm is a fun game.  It's just not all that hard.  It doesn't take all that long to go through it either.  Now, Elevator Action?  That's a tough game.  I can't beat level 4!

When I was a kid my neighbor got a NES before me and the only games he had were SMB/Duck Hunt and Elevator Action so I played it a ton. I completed Elevator Action for the NES thread and it definitely gets tough really quick.

On 6/9/2021 at 6:43 PM, bertsampson said:

No steroids necessary when you just hold down the shoot button.

Ive been ridiculed for suggesting such a thing with shooters @Richardheadand probably that damn tapeworm. feel like I have permission this week. 

@the_wizard_666, this plays right into your tired hands. Take some cash from the overall leader

• Haha 2