IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Silk Worm!

BeaIank

1 minute ago, mbd39 said:

I don't know if shooting the boss projectiles adds to score. I only reached the third boss so I don't know  if any later bosses have point pressing opportunities. Bea was under the impression that point pressing is possible on bosses even if it's not.

Play the game again and you'll see that your score heading into the boss fight is identical to your score after beating the boss, but before it adds your points for beating the boss.  If there is another way to point-press outside of the bonuses, it would literally be a blind point-press because you'd never know how many points you had scored during your press until after you finally decided to kill the boss.  Just saying...

Just now, mbd39 said:

The "no point pressing on bosses" rule may have been a precaution then in case you could. Because you can point press on bosses in many 8 bit and 16 bit shooters.

Fair enough; I'll settle for fourth (I think) and have to start putting more effort into these games much earlier in the week...

11 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Play the game again and you'll see that your score heading into the boss fight is identical to your score after beating the boss, but before it adds your points for beating the boss.  If there is another way to point-press outside of the bonuses, it would literally be a blind point-press because you'd never know how many points you had scored during your press until after you finally decided to kill the boss.  Just saying...

Do you have any idea whay spawns the bonus at the boss? I genuinely do not. I assumed it happened every time you got to the level 4 boss and survived the first 10 seconds or so because thats what happened the handful of times I played through that. I was killing myself to 1 life thru there to get 100k plus the boss bonus. Thought that good for a place or two. 

Guess Il repost this just in case. 

20210613_214059.jpg

Edited by NESfiend

Just now, NESfiend said:

Do you have any idea whay spawns the bonus at the boss?

No idea over here; but I'll tell you this: I would have damn-well figured it out if I had given this game more time, which I wish I could have because it's an awesome shooter.  But I'm done moving now, so I should be able to get back on top in no time.  Enjoy the summit while you're up there 😉

8 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Bea will have to clarify, but one time bonuses have never counted as point pressing before. It's always referring to an endless points opportunity from something that you can endlessly kill/destroy.

Yeah, the sticking point for me is that the 500k bonus (and to a lesser extent the 100k ones) are egregiously more points than you can earn over multiple waves of normal play; if these were like 10k bonuses, then no big deal, but one 500k bonus is literally the difference between third or fourth and last place in our competition.  Like the entire compo this week just boiled down to who could get the 500k to appear...

Edited by Dr. Morbis

Events Team · Posted

We allowed the Cleopatra, worth 1,000,000 points, in Star Force and for loopers to hit her as many times as they could loop, so what is a meagre one time 500K bonus compared to that?
One time bonuses don't count as point pressing. I didn't have time to run through all the bosses in this game to see if there were ways to point press on them so I decided to err in the side of caution by adding that no point pressing rules.
I am tailing the scores now.

• The topic was unpinned