IGNORED

What are you currently watching?

Moderator · Posted
4 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Driving Miss Daisy is pretty forgetful.  Standard Hollywood feel-good period prestige flick.  I know the common comparison nowadays is Do the Right Thing, which came out the same year, which is generally agreed upon to be the better film.  I'm also a bit mid on that one too. If Driving Miss Daisy is a 5/10, I'd probably call DtRT a 6/10 or 6.5/10.

Chariots of Fire also feels pretty forgettable to me.  Another feel-good period prestige flick.  I want to immediately compare it to Gallipoli, which is *also* about a sprinter, set a few years earlier.  I thought that film was much more engaging.

And it's kind of bugging me that the iconic score features such a synthy, synth drums, 80s feel to it.

Either way, when looking at the best picture winners in the 1980s (which I think is an exceedingly weak crop), I'd say the bottom 3 are:

10. Out of Africa
9. Driving Miss Daisy
8. Chariots of Fire

If I put together a list of my top 100 films from the 1980s, none of those would make it.  Granted, I'd have a ton of genre and horror films on there, like Aliens and The Thing and Evil Dead 2 and so forth, but I think that's pretty normal for our demographic.

A very weak decade for best picture winners, especially following a very strong decade in the 70’s. Amadeus is far better than the rest IMO:

1. Amadeus
  2. Platoon
  3. Rain Man
  4. Gandhi
  5. The Last Emperor
  6. Terms of Endearment
  7. Ordinary People
  8. Out of Africa
  9. Driving Miss Daisy
  10. Chariots of Fire
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, doner24 said:

A very weak decade for best picture winners, especially following a very strong decade in the 70’s. Amadeus is far better than the rest IMO:

1. Amadeus
  2. Platoon
  3. Rain Man
  4. Gandhi
  5. The Last Emperor
  6. Terms of Endearment
  7. Ordinary People
  8. Out of Africa
  9. Driving Miss Daisy
  10. Chariots of Fire

Hard agree.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Editorials Team · Posted

JFK

This actually made me angry.  It's irresponsible that some loon can make a a propaganda film with every conspiracy theory under the sun, and try to pass it off as a historical film, and affect the American public like it did.  It's any wonder he hasn't been relevant in nearly 30 years at this point.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

JFK

This actually made me angry.  It's irresponsible that some loon can make a a propaganda film with every conspiracy theory under the sun, and try to pass it off as a historical film, and affect the American public like it did.  It's any wonder he hasn't been relevant in nearly 30 years at this point.

Choosy moms, and Waldos, choose Jfk! 😄 

46 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

JFK

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/hollywood-history-the-debate-over-jfk/

Also reminds me of the film "Selma" where they used made up speeches, made Lyndon Johnson look like a villain although in reality he was MLK's biggest supporter AND friend... basically it's typically Hollywood bullshite.

Edited by avatar!

17 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Rick & Morty and Brooklyn 99

Never been a fan of Rick & Morty. I think it's meant to shock and awe, but I find it just bland. I would much rather watch Futurama which I think is actually funny, especially compared to the former.

I watched a few season of B99 and overall the show has so much promise, but it's totally ruined by Andy Samberg. He's just not a good actor. The other actors are all excellent, and he just seems to ruin the show with his high school level charisma.

Meh Chelsea Peretti GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Of course those are just my opinions 🙂

45 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

Witcher Season 3. Sad to see my boy Henry go and my interest in the show will probably go along with it. Truth be told I’m not really even sure what’s happening right now, I just watch cause it’s entertaining and it’s Henry’s last season. 

Yeah, we stopped watching the Witcher because the writing and production seems all over the place with no cohesive narrative. But Cavill, wow he's fabulous...

On 6/21/2023 at 3:31 PM, avatar! said:

Been a while since I was excited about a a major Hollywood production -

If anyone has seen it, let me know your thoughts!

I don't think Nolan has made a particularly good movie since Inception (Tenet was awful), but I'm looking forward to this. Still, a good biopic requires interesting dialogue and that's where Nolan usually fails the hardest. We'll see.

On 6/21/2023 at 5:58 PM, Mega Tank said:

One of the better Shyamalan movies I have seen

I'm definitely interested in seeing this, but the last two Shyamalan movies were just so, so bad (Old and Glass). When he misses, he misses big.

4 hours ago, avatar! said:

Never been a fan of Rick & Morty. I think it's meant to shock and awe, but I find it just bland. I would much rather watch Futurama which I think is actually funny, especially compared to the former.

I watched a few season of B99 and overall the show has so much promise, but it's totally ruined by Andy Samberg. He's just not a good actor. The other actors are all excellent, and he just seems to ruin the show with his high school level charisma.

Meh Chelsea Peretti GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Of course those are just my opinions 🙂

I think some of Rick & Morty is genuinely good, but Futurama is just on another level. Can't wait for the new season.

• 3 weeks later...

Taking the kids to see Elemental later this week. We thought the trailer looked great, so I was taken aback by all the negative comments on release. It received a respectable Cinemascore and has had fantastic legs, so I suspect it's actually pretty solid.

Watched the Adam Driver dinosaur movie, 65, yesterday. I wouldn't say it's horrible, but it just kind of exists. Some things happen, some dinosaurs show up, and then it ends. Stakes are super low and there's essentially no dialogue or story. I will say that the CG and special effects were surprisingly good considering the presumably low budget.

• Like 1

Watched Air on Amazon prime. This movie was ok. I thought it overdid it with the needle drops and the set dressings. We GET it, it’s the 80s! Don’t need all the gratuitous shots of Rubik’s cubes and Mr.T cereal while blasting REO speedwagon.

I understand their reasoning for not showing Michael Jordan’s face, but it just didn’t work for me. Just cast an actor that kind of looks like him and shoot it normally. It was distracting how much were going out of their way to keep his face away from the camera.

My biggest issue was that I just couldn’t sympathize with Nike as an underdog story. They’re trying to portray it like they were Hoosiers to Addidas’ South Bend Central.

Matt Damon was pretty good and it was nice to finally see Chris Tucker in a movie again. It’d been too long.

Edited by G-type
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Saw Oppenheimer today, fantastic movie. I wasn’t a huge fan of Tenet but Nolan has done a great job with this movie. I don’t think anything will ever top Inception for me but I think this movie ranks in the top for my favourite Nolan movie.

It’s not easy to turn non fiction into an interesting movie, especially because this movie is mostly based off a book. However, Nolan has done a magnificent job in making it engaging and interesting while also putting some of his touches into it.

The score was also on another level and added a lot of tension to scenes. 

Do yourself a favour, experience this at the theatre. It’s worth it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrekMD said:

I watched Sound of Freedom last night.  Wow, just wow.  This movie is based on true events and deals with child trafficking and slavery.  I recommend it and stay until the very end as there is a special message by Jim Caviezel. 

I've heard quite a bit about the movie -- like many things it's a bit polarizing. Some claim it's basically a MAGA propaganda movie etc.

‘Sound Of Freedom’ Is a Superhero Movie for Dads With Brainworms

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-reviews/sound-of-freedom-jim-caviezel-child-trafficking-qanon-movie-1234783837/

“QAnon-tinged thriller,” one that is designed to “appeal to the conscience of a conspiracy-addled boomer.”

But, Tim Ballard, the real-life person who is portrayed in the film said there is no connection between QAnon and the film, saying "They make zero connection to the actual story. It's very difficult to make that connection when it's actually based on a true story."

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/sound-of-freedom-movie-jim-caviezel-uk-b2373694.html

Based on what I read, it sounds like the film is decently faithful to real life --

https://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/sound-of-freedom/

It's definitely a faith based film based upon a person who is very religious, and I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that. In fact, considering how well it has done I hope it sends Hollywood a message that people don't want the same asinine movies shoved down their throats...

• Like 1