IGNORED

What are you currently watching?

45 minutes ago, TrekMD said:

There's nothing MAGA about it.  The movie is about a very real issue.  Watch it and judge for yourself.

you can get free tickets from the production company's website. A big part of how they were able to have such good box office numbers is that they are encouraging folks to buy extra tickets.

• Like 1

I've been watching The Witcher lately. I am really enjoying it. Each episode is like it's own little adventure and engaging in its own right while it slowly moves the main plot along. I'm about halfway through season 2. The presentation reminds me of Star Trek and shows of that nature. I enjoy it enough I may well get the books and give the games a try.

I started watching the new season of Futurama last night.  The references were great, but the storyline for the actual episode was just ok.  I'm looking forward to the rest of the reason.  When I started it up, I was relieved to see that the episodes are going to be released over time instead of all at once.  I don't really have the time to binge anything, so I will look forward to watching each episode one at a time.  As it turns out, this feeling became a bit ironic as I was watching the episode.  

Also, I saw the new Mission Impossible movie about two weeks ago.  I've been a huge fan of this franchise since seeing the original in theaters when it first came out.  This one is also fantastic and I'm really looking forward to part 2.  

I've seen every MI movie before this one, so I was familiar with the characters and references to other movies.  But it's still a stand alone story, so if you haven't seen the previous movies, you can still enjoy this one.  My wife hadn't see any of the previous movies and she still really enjoyed it.  We even took our kids to see it and they loved it too.  I'm hoping to get the rest of my family to rewatch all of the previous movies with me.  It's easily one of my favorite movie franchises of all time.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, TrekMD said:

There's nothing MAGA about it.  The movie is about a very real issue.  Watch it and judge for yourself.

I can't comment on the actual content of the film, but they absolutely manipulated their messaging to appeal to MAGA folks and conspiracy theorists. Take that how you want, but it's a big turnoff for me. I'm not interested in padding the pockets of the production company or QAnon Caviezel.

My wife and I have been watching The Afterparty on Apple TV+. It's a pretty slick murder mystery that puts a nice spin on the multiple viewpoints trope. Every episode is presented in a different style that reflects the storyteller's personality and some of them are great. Yasper's (Ben Schwartz) episode is particularly fun with some great song and dance numbers. We've got a few more episodes left to go, so I'm still waiting for the big reveal, but I'm betting that Xavier accidentally killed himself and there is no killer.

Edited by DoctorEncore

Moderator · Posted

Trying to watch some lesser known A24 films, started with The Green Knight, a fantasy film based on Sir Gaiwan of Arthur’s Court, really liked it. Then watched Zola, a crazy apparently real life story based on a tweet, it was decent. 

Also watched the recent Dungeons and Dragons movie, not a big action movie guy, but really liked it because it didn’t take itself too seriously. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2023 at 10:25 PM, doner24 said:

Trying to watch some lesser known A24 films, started with The Green Knight, a fantasy film based on Sir Gaiwan of Arthur’s Court, really liked it. Then watched Zola, a crazy apparently real life story based on a tweet, it was decent. 

Also watched the recent Dungeons and Dragons movie, not a big action movie guy, but really liked it because it didn’t take itself too seriously. 

I haven't watched The Green Knight yet but I have the 4k blu-ray on my shelf just waiting for a good movie night. I loved D&D. I felt like it was perfectly cast with just the right mix of action and comedy. I hope it gets some kind of sequel or even a limited series with the same cast.

• Like 1

Just saw Tekken (2009) on broadcast. It's not an awful movie. Not bad enough to deserve the 0 & 36% Rotten Tomatoes score. (Apparently fell to 31% while I was watching - I guess someone else was too? Strange, who is both watching 7.3 WLS-DT3 and a RT poster?) 

Not that shitty. You could definitely call it formulaic. 

It's secretly a cyberpunk movie, and a lot of entries to that genre are unfairly maligned. Some audiences don't know what to do with it imo

One critic review said the fight scenes are soundtracked by ICP wannabes, and that's just straight up false. There was no rap at all. A song in an early scene sounds like a Linkin Park wannabe, though. Or maybe it's actually Linkin Park idklol

On 7/30/2023 at 10:20 PM, TrekMD said:

There's nothing MAGA about it. 

Adrenochrome, PizzaGate, culty behavior on social media (commenting "SOUND OF FREEDOM!" with no other text on reviews of other movies)...

On 7/30/2023 at 10:20 PM, TrekMD said:

The movie is about a very real issue.  Watch it and judge for yourself.

What do you think in light of news about Fabian Marta and Andrew McCubbins?

10 hours ago, Link said:

What do you think in light of news about Fabian Marta and Andrew McCubbins?

I saw that.  Very disappointing that they were involved in financing the movie.  On the other hand, it's good to see people like these getting caught and exposed. 

• Like 1

On 7/31/2023 at 10:25 PM, doner24 said:

Trying to watch some lesser known A24 films

The directors of the current A24 indie horror Talk to Me are signed on to make a Street Fighter adaptation. I think that’s actually kind of a brilliant move, since these guys are obviously big fans and were making fan films of it on their YouTube before they hit the big time

• Like 1

5 hours ago, G-type said:

The directors of the current A24 indie horror Talk to Me are signed on to make a Street Fighter adaptation. I think that’s actually kind of a brilliant move, since these guys are obviously big fans and were making fan films of it on their YouTube before they hit the big time

It still blows my mind that these guys blew up internationally. Their videos are typical Aussie larrikinism but I never thought it would translate over to the US.

This is still my favourite video of theirs 😆

Screenshot-from-2023-08-14-15-36-27.png

Wifey and I have been loving this series! It's very nostalgic for anyone from the 80s and 90s. Netflix also has "The Movies that Made Us" and I think that was okay, but this series is excellent! Now, I'm hoping they're working on "The Video Games that Made Us" 🙂

• Like 1

hearing about the new Street Fighter movie reminded me that I'd never seen the Van Damme version. I'd heard so much negative buzz about it over the years that it always kept me away, but sometimes if I'm in the right mood, I don't mind a bad movie. It honestly wasn't as terrible as it had been built up to be. I read up a little about the production and can sympathize with the impossible challenges the first time director was faced with:

After writing Commando, 48 Hours, Die Hard 1 and 2, it makes sense they'd give Desouza a shot as a writer/director

Capcom demanding nearly every character at the time be included, meant they'd all be competing with each for screen time combined with Van Dame missing call times from being out partying and coked out of his mind, meant they had to shoot around his absences which explains why the featured star of the movie is barely in it. He was one of the biggest martial arts action stars at the time,  who'd just come off a string of hits (Universal Soldier, Double Impact, Hard Target) so he makes sense as their choice for a marquee actor, even if it didn't work out.

Raul Julia does a very memorable performance, yet his casting forced them rearrange the schedule to do all the action scenes up front, so he could recover some of the weight he'd lost since his stomach surgery. Consequently they had no time to do fight training with their actors, which explains why this movie about a fighting game barely has any fights in it, and what little they have is not very impressive.

I actually liked a lot of the casting choices. Zangief looks great and was hilarious. Sagat and Vega also look great. Kylie Minogue as Cammy! Come'on! That's perfect... too bad they didn't put her in a game accurate costume. I guess they needed to keep it family friendly. At least they corrected this missed opportunity for the movie: the game version. Chun Li was great how she played it so straight... really helped make the "it was Tuesday" line pop. E Honda, Balrog, and Dee Jay were obviously just shoehorned in to get some more characters. Ken and Ryu were kind of meh... The only ones that were flat out misses were Blanka and Dhalsim.

The storyline was serviceable. (I kind of respect them for going for a more James Bond-ish story) than for the obvious martial arts tournament angle. The Thailand location looked great. I also really enjoyed how they created a Thai-style font for the english signs.