IGNORED

What are you currently watching?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I finished Fargo season 5 tonight.

Spoiler

Overall, I enjoyed the season.  I felt it was better than seasons 3 and 4, but not as awesome as seasons 1 and 2.

The finale continued a long tradition of Fargo ending the season in a way that I could not predict.  I was extremely surprised how quickly they wrapped things up in episode 10, and I was confused that there was still another 30 minutes and wondered what could possibly happen next.  

I really enjoyed the suspense of season 5.  It really had me on the edge of my seat through most episodes.  I didn't enjoy that some of the characters were a little to generic and not as well developed as characters from previous seasons.  I also felt that several characters made mistakes that didn't really make sense and only served to move the plot forward.

I was also disappointed that this season was the first to not reference a character or event from a previous season (unless I missed it).  There was several indirect references to the original Fargo film, and several other Coen Brother's movies, but no direct reference to the movie or others seasons that I could find.  

But my complaints are definitely nit picks because the season in general was very enjoyable and I hope they approve a season 6.  

I'm curious what @Brickman thought about the season (if you've finished it).

19 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I finished Fargo season 5 tonight.

Reveal hidden contents

Overall, I enjoyed the season.  I felt it was better than seasons 3 and 4, but not as awesome as seasons 1 and 2.

The finale continued a long tradition of Fargo ending the season in a way that I could not predict.  I was extremely surprised how quickly they wrapped things up in episode 10, and I was confused that there was still another 30 minutes and wondered what could possibly happen next.  

I really enjoyed the suspense of season 5.  It really had me on the edge of my seat through most episodes.  I didn't enjoy that some of the characters were a little to generic and not as well developed as characters from previous seasons.  I also felt that several characters made mistakes that didn't really make sense and only served to move the plot forward.

I was also disappointed that this season was the first to not reference a character or event from a previous season (unless I missed it).  There was several indirect references to the original Fargo film, and several other Coen Brother's movies, but no direct reference to the movie or others seasons that I could find.  

But my complaints are definitely nit picks because the season in general was very enjoyable and I hope they approve a season 6.  

I'm curious what @Brickman thought about the season (if you've finished it).

I totally forgot about this, thanks for the reminder! I'm going to download it tonight and start this weekend.

I've been busy finishing off Halt and Catch Fire. I have a couple episodes to go but it has been a fantastic series but Season 4 is a bit all over the place so far. They made the right call to end the show at season 4.

Moderator · Posted
7 minutes ago, WalterWhiteJr. said:

You are a lucky man! My wife rolls her eyes every time she hears the intro lol.

She’s known for starting a series, getting a couple episodes in and abandoning it, so my hopes are up too much. 

Wifey and I finished this.

First, it's too long, could have been 5 episodes. That said, quite well done overall. That said, apparently it's way too Jordan focused and does not portray things correctly, at least according to people such as Scottie Pippen --

"One of the most ignorant a** sh*t": Scottie Pippen's statement on 'The Last Dance' and Michael Jordan has Stephen A. Smith going nuts

https://www.sportskeeda.com/basketball/news-one-ignorant-a-sh-t-scottie-pippen-s-statement-the-last-dance-michael-jordan-stephen-a-smith-going-nuts

Well, ultimately I've always been more interested in College sports than pro, but it was an interesting although biased (by for Jordan) and far too-long documentary.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2024 at 10:25 PM, TrekMD said:

I'm watching the two final seasons of The Flash on Netflix.  No ads to worry about! 

What did you think of the last few seasons? I fell off after Iris got stuck in the mirror dimension and a version of Mirror Master or someone was running around looking like her.  The show went on a hiatus and I didn't get back into it when it came back.

@TDIRunner I finished Fargo season 5 and I think my thoughts match yours mostly.

I loved the series but I don't think it tops 1 and 2 for me. The cast was fantastic though, it took me a while to adjust to Juno Temple putting on an accent but by the second episode I had adjusted. Joe Keeery was almost unrecognisable and did such a great job. Jon Hamm was great as always.

Hopefully we see a season 6.

• Agree 1

The other day I watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.  The funny thing about this movie was that I didn't know a single thing about the story.  All I knew was that it was a Quentin Tarantino movie with a huge cast and that it was well regarded.  Somehow this movie had stayed completely off my radar until recently and I wanted to watch it simply because it was a Tarantino film.  I went into it without ever even seeing the trailer for it so I have absolutely no idea what to expect.  While the movie started out a little slow, I really enjoyed it and definitely recommend it for anyone who hasn't seen it.

Spoiler

A little way into the movie I started to has a suspicion that the movie might be about the Manson murders, but I still didn't know what to expect.  I was extremely thrown off during the climax of the film until it occurred to me that recently Tarantino seems to enjoy making films about historical events where the stories end completely different from real life.

Also, there is one scene where it's implied that Leonardo's character could have played Steve McQueen's character in The Great Escape.  I was laughing out loud during this part, and this scene made me immediately want to rewatch The Great Escape.  I ended up watching it the next night.  That was a movie I hadn't watched in a very long time, but it holds up extremely well today.  

Good:
+Music
+Atmosphere
+Cinematography
+Robert Pattinson
+Colin Farrell
+John Turturro
+First 30 minutes

Okay:
Zoe Kravitz
Second 30 minutes

Yawn:
-Rest of the movie (all 115 minutes of it)
-Plot, or lack thereof
-Andy Serkis (great actor, but he's basically a plot device in the movie)
-Jeffrey Wright (great actor, but his Jim Gordon character sounds like he would rather be anywhere but Gotham)
-Political Commentary (really?)

Overall, I would give it a 65 out of 100 -- it had some great ideas, great actors, great music, great cinematography, but poor dialogue, poor direction, poor plot. I honestly can not recommend it. However, it's a great starting place for a hopefully much better sequel!

• 2 weeks later...

Nathan Fielder (and Benny Safdie) have done it again! Finished watching The Curse. What a ride! If you're a fan of Nathan Fielder then you will love this show. It's not funny in the ha ha sense but because of the layers, the setups (sometimes over several episodes) and how much it pokes fun at western culture. Emma Stone was also amazing in her role.

It's not a show for everyone and definitely not a show that everyone will see the appeal of or get, but if you like Nathan Fielder's work I think you will enjoy it. If Andy Kaufman was still alive today I think he would have loved this show.

Now the painful wait for season 2 of The Rehearsal.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2024 at 4:31 AM, Brickman said:

Nathan Fielder (and Benny Safdie) have done it again! Finished watching The Curse. What a ride! If you're a fan of Nathan Fielder then you will love this show. It's not funny in the ha ha sense but because of the layers, the setups (sometimes over several episodes) and how much it pokes fun at western culture. Emma Stone was also amazing in her role.

It's not a show for everyone and definitely not a show that everyone will see the appeal of or get, but if you like Nathan Fielder's work I think you will enjoy it. If Andy Kaufman was still alive today I think he would have loved this show.

Now the painful wait for season 2 of The Rehearsal.

The finale was bonkers

• Agree 1

On 2/7/2024 at 1:46 PM, avatar! said:

Good:
+Music
+Atmosphere
+Cinematography
+Robert Pattinson
+Colin Farrell
+John Turturro
+First 30 minutes

Okay:
Zoe Kravitz
Second 30 minutes

Yawn:
-Plot, or lack thereof
-Jeffrey Wright (great actor, but his Jim Gordon character sounds like he would rather be anywhere but Gotham)

Overall, I would give it a 65 out of 100 -- it had some great ideas, great actors, great music, great cinematography, but poor dialogue, poor direction, poor plot. I honestly can not recommend it. However, it's a great starting place for a hopefully much better sequel!

I remember pausing it to get up at one point, thinking it was nearly over and being SHOCKED it was only halfway.

• Agree 1

On 2/7/2024 at 12:46 PM, avatar! said:

Good:
+Music
+Atmosphere
+Cinematography
+Robert Pattinson
+Colin Farrell
+John Turturro
+First 30 minutes

Okay:
Zoe Kravitz
Second 30 minutes

Yawn:
-Plot, or lack thereof

I think I enjoyed it more than you did, but I understand some of the issues are you brining up.  For me, the biggest thing that confused me was how the movie went on for another 30 minutes after the movie had already "ended."  

Also, I feel like with every new comic book movie, they keep upping the collateral damage caused by the superheroes.  The car chase scene in particular was a little too over the top for the amount of damage caused vs. what Batman was actually after.  

Still, I'm looking forward to the sequel.  

• Like 1