IGNORED

TV Series Debates #3 [Mature Cartoons - Cable] - 'Beavis and Butthead', 'BoJack Horseman' & 'South Park'

RH

TV Series Debates #3 [Mature Cartoons - Cable] - 'Beavis and Butthead', 'BoJack Horseman' & 'South Park'  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Beavis and Butthead

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite TV series of all time. You've seen every episode, and most multiple times.
    • 9/10 - Killer show. Everyone should watch it through at least once.
    • 8/10 - Great show and highly recommendable.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great. Worth enjoying but you don't have to go out of your way to watch the entire series.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy catching an episode or two in syndication.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'd ever consider to search out to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives than this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - So bad, watching this show hurts. If it were on in a waiting room and this was on the TV, you'd have to unplug the TV or leave.
    • Seen only an episode or two, but highly interested in seeing more.
    • Never seen it, but you're interested.
    • Never, or barely seen it, but have no intention of trying to watch this.
  2. 2. BoJack Horseman

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite TV series of all time. You've seen every episode, and most multiple times.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great. Worth enjoying but you don't have to go out of your way to watch the entire series.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy catching an episode or two in syndication.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'd ever consider to search out to watch.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 0/10 - So bad, watching this show hurts. If it were on in a waiting room and this was on the TV, you'd have to unplug the TV or leave.
  3. 3. South Park

• 3/10 - Not very good.

This is a topic I'll have the least knowledge about.  Regardless, this seemed like an appreciated topic for many of you guys.

The Master List of Debated TV Shows

This Weeks TV Shows

Beavis and Butthead

Air Dates: March 8, 1993 –November 28, 1997, October 27 – December 29, 2011, Q3 2011

Total Seasons: 8

Total Episodes: 222 + 1 Movie

image.png.63ae61c4e71a33150e2cc355fafefb52.png

BoJack Horseman

Air Dates: August 22, 2014 – January 31, 2020

Total Seasons: 6

Total Episodes: 77

image.png.24206a14422db7a41352d49d91a0587a.png

South Park

Air Dates: August 13, 1997 – present

Total Seasons: 23

Total Episodes: 309 + 1 movie

image.png.f2a49746f20790bcadf7d448272ed732.png

Edited by RH

Editorials Team · Posted

B&B - haven't watched it since I was a kid.  I loathed the music video parts then, but would probably prefer them now.  And the movie is great.  But I'm not exactly sure how you'd even be able to watch it nowadays as it was originally intended.  Either way, I haven't gone out if my way to do it.  6/10

Bojack - What was briefly a wacky cartoon quickly becomes a dark character study.  It was a change for the better.  8/10

South Park - I think South Park's longevity and footprint on American culture speak for themselves.  10/10

• Like 2

Beavis and Butthead - 7.  Was hilarious when I was a kid and I like the video game but I don’t know that I’m ever going out of my way to pop it on.  The whole things going to be pretty dated and more novelty.  

Bojack - I’ve never seen it.  Anyone remember the Tekken character Bojack?

South Park - 10.  easy 10.  Brilliant and biting for how many years now?  I still look forward to having a new season to watch.  
Please don’t compare it to that Simpsons trash.  If it was 1999 we could talk but unfortunately for my ability to pick up Nintender tapes off the street it’s not.  South Park has managed to stay relevant and the Simpsons just makes me want to turn it off and put on Futurama reruns.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Beavis and Butt-Head I haven't in years but I loved it growing up and when I did rewatch it some time in the last decade I still loved it. I hate that they took out the music videos in more recent reruns, and pretty much all of the humor in the show is dumb humor but a lot of it makes me laugh. 8/10

Bojack Horseman I can't even remember what it's about but a coworker told me to watch this some 10 years ago or so and I tried a few episodes and just didn't get it or find it or whatever. I'll probably never watch it again.

South Park is unquestionably my favorite show of all time. Not only do i find it hilarious, but it manages to stay relevant after all of these years and it's very smartly written and despite being dumb humor on it's surface, it's actually quite deep. Not every episode is a grand slam but when you've been in the air for 23+ years you're going to have a few duds. Even at it's worst it's still entertaining, and at its best, nothing else on tv even comes to close to it in my opinion. 10/10

Beavis & Butthead: 6. Amusing when I've seen it, but I don't go looking for it.

Bojack Horseman: Never saw it and don't feel a need to.

South Park: 9. An all time favorite. It's interesting to rewatch an early episode as the show was considered edgy back then but those episodes seem relatively tame and innocent. They've done a great job of staying topical, but I miss the weekly Kenny-killings.

I've caught a handful of episodes of B&B over the years. I've thought most of them were pretty funny but there's just something about the overall aesthetic of the show that keep me from getting too caught up in it. I've seen the movie and I did think it was pretty good but not exactly something I'm longing to watch again. 6/10

Haven't seen Bojack Horseman but I'm willing to give it a shot. I hear some folks heap some high praise on it.

South Park and I have a bit of a history. I will say that when the show is good, it's really good. I personally think the show hit it's peak around Season 6 up through Season 12 or so. That's where you'll find some of the funniest stuff ever put to TV and I end up re-watching episodes from those seasons more than any other. Even some of the early seasons had pretty good stuff, even if it hadn't quite found its voice yet. Recent South Park hasn't managed to keep quite the same level of quality and there are some dud episodes...but there are still some good ones and I have to applaud Matt and Trey for managing to still find relevance some 20-ish years into the same show. 8/10

I probably saw no more than 2-3 episodes of Beavis and Butthead back in the 90s, I've never seen Bojack Horseman but I've seen it referenced a lot and I've probably seen South Park the most.  I use to watch it semi-regular when I could catch it in the late 90s, and South Park is also a show we would stream (yes, stream) through RealPlayer back around 1998-99 in High School during lunch. None of them are really something I'd be interested in today, but I figured these might be a few crowd pleasers for you guys.

• The title was changed to TV Series Debates #3 [Mature Cartoons - Cable] - 'Beavis and Butthead', 'BoJack Horseman' & 'South Park'

Beavis and Butthead is almost unwatchable to me man. Its social commentary is buried under like 4 layers too many deep of literally the dumbest shit I've ever seen a on a TV and mixed in with them saying huh-huh over music videos. I get that it's an important show in the history of adult animation and led to basically every adult cartoon I do like, but man I am not high enough for that shit.

• Haha 2

Events Team · Posted

Beavis and Butthead with music videos is a 10 all the way.  Without it's probably a 6. Still funny though.  There's supposed to be a new movie this summer I think.

South Park rules.  But I prefer earlier episodes that don't require commentary on current events.  Recent episodes are funny in the moment but feel stale a year later.  Plus it's about Colorado.  Represent!

• Like 1

B&B - As a kid I thought the show was funny, but I hated the music video parts because they rarely watched music I was familiar with (at least at the time).  I didn't watch the show too often as my parents weren't too crazy about me watching it.  However, I remember watching the B&B Do America movie in the theaters and really enjoying it.  I need to watch that again and see if it holds up today.

Bojack - never watched it

South Park - I remember watching the first episode when it first aired and enjoying it.  But some of those earlier seasons don't hold up well today in my opinion.  I prefer the later seasons when they started covering recent topics in the news (sometimes as recently as the day before it aired).  With that said, I haven't watched the show in years as I hardly ever watch new TV anymore (I don't have any type of cable or live TV except for the local channels that I get over the air.  

On 5/15/2021 at 2:35 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

Bojack - What was briefly a wacky cartoon quickly becomes a dark character study.  It was a change for the better.  8/10

On 5/17/2021 at 2:54 PM, JamesRobot said:

South Park rules.  But I prefer earlier episodes that don't require commentary on current events.  Recent episodes are funny in the moment but feel stale a year later. 

Spot on, both of you.

On 5/17/2021 at 1:43 PM, DefaultGen said:

Beavis and Butthead is almost unwatchable to me man. Its social commentary is buried under like 4 layers too many deep of literally the dumbest shit I've ever seen a on a TV and mixed in with them saying huh-huh over music videos. I get that it's an important show in the history of adult animation and led to basically every adult cartoon I do like, but man I am not high enough for that shit.

I’m way more tolerant of the stupidity than you are, but I love the way you said this.

Beavis & Butt-head: 7. I’d spend an afternoon on it. 
Bojack Horseman: 9. It starts as comedy making fun of saccharine shows like Full House, and showing the alcoholic star of such a show 30 years later, then turns into a really good drama. But keeps the constant string of sight gags of animals doing people things (which I love).
South Park: 7, same as B&B. I haven’t seen it in years (don’t have cable). I like the bite they give to topical stuff but it’s a little too much “both sides”ism for me.

Edited by Link
  • Like 2

Yeah, South Park's both-sidesism and ultra-specific current event topics aren't as enjoyable as the older seasons. Still like the show though. The most memorable episode for me is when the boys defend the South Park flag of a lynching because "killing has been around since the beginning of time", and they're so not racist that they don't understand it's racist. Love stuff like that it. 

• Like 1

Beavis and Butthead is a 9.  Usually very funny and iconic and as much of a cultural icon as the Three Stooges.

Never seen Bojack Horseman.

South Park is an 8. It's dragged on too long much like the Simpsons. I stopped watching years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm like the reverse of everyone here, I've seen Bojack but never much of either Beavis and Butthead or South Park. Beavis was before my time and at this point, there's just nothing about it that makes me want to ever watch it. I have no interest in South Park because it is just too vulgar for my tastes.

Bojack I absolutely adore, one of the best shows I have ever watched. It hits some serious and thought-provoking topics that I really haven't seen done in a tv show before. It does start off on the rough side, but really hits its stride once you reach the second half of the first season. From there it takes a compelling look at the uglier side of the human condition that I found to be quite thought-provoking. 

Beavis and Butthead - liked it for stupid humor when I was younger then appreciated it more for the music video commentary later. BaBh Do America is one of the most nostalgic pieces of media for me. Don't watch it often but takes me back to a very specific time in my life. 8.

Horseman jack. Saw bits and pieces of a few episodes but don't have interest in it really. No knock on the show, just never gave it a fair chance. 

South park is classic. Agreed that it's gone on a little too long but overall it holds its place high. 9 I think. 

Beavis & Butthead - 8 I watched this when I was younger (I even remember a few of the now "banned" episodes), and I catch the (now music video-less) episodes now.  It helps immensely that the wife & I chuckle like immature 13yr olds at some things, and quote these two idiots often. We took a trip to Arizona about 10 years ago, and visited the Petrified Forest.  Yes, the "Millions of years ago, the wood became hard" line from the movie was quoted.

beavis and butthead headbang GIF

BoJack - Never watched it, never had any interest.

South Park - 2  Never had any interest in the show, but somehow my friends talked me into seeing the movie.  My enjoyment of SP begins and ends with the Terrance & Philip song in the movie.