IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Quarth!

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Ladies and gentleman, welcome to a brand new week of mind blowing puzzle action!
This week, our competitors will have to show us all their brain power to solve the mysteries of QUARTH!!!

The rules for this week are extremely simple:

• Play 1 player
  • Start on Area 0
  • Pick the ship you prefer.
  • Play till game over
  • If you beat the game with more than 100K points, reset the console and beat stage 1 again. Your score will be on the hi score.
  • Highest score wins
  • Genre: Puzzle

08_Quarth_Sage.png.6668acb130b2a5300aecb

The contest ends Sunday, 05/09/21 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

• Like 2

Events Team · Posted
1st 0xDEAFC0DE 377,215
2nd Jeevan 166,331
3rd Dr. Morbis 163,397
4th mbd39 158,111
5th Krunch 127,634
6th bertsampson 126,915
7th NESfiend 99,233
8th CasualCart 84,026
9th arnpoly 69,415
10th RH 66,248
11th PII 56,794
12th JamesRobot 46,899
13th Ausden 38,267
14th dvertov 34,163
15th the_wizard_666 31,501
16th Deadeye 29,317

Events Team · Posted

And here are the Battletoads rules for you all to start practising:

• Start at Ragnarok's Canyon
  • Lose all your lives till you have 0 hearts.
  • Once you have zero hearts, take a picture to prove you are starting with zero points.
  • You can use a gamegenie code to start with 0 lives
  • Using the gamegenie code puts you at disadvantage since one of the enemies won't take the other out while you are going for 0 lives.
  • Play till you reach 4 extra lives or you lose a square of your energy bar
  • You can get hit as long as that hit doesn't consume one or more squares of your energy bar. This includes any situations that causes you to immediately lose a life
  • If you are hit in a way that causes you to lose one or more squares of your energy bar, your run ends. Pause the game and take your picture.
  • If the space invaders aliens take your energy away and you don't recover it, your run ends right there. Pause and take your picture.
  • Your 4th extra live will be gained once you cross the 400,000 points threshold.
  • Pause the game as soon as you break 400,000 points or reach 4 hearts.
  • 1up power ups counts towards the 4 hearts limits, so avoid getting them at all costs
  • After being reaching 400,000 points, reaching 4 hearts or losing an energy point, add the stage bonus to your current score:
    •     Level 1-Ragnarok's Canyon - 0 points
    •     Level 2-Wookie Hole(Impact Crater) - 15,000 points
    •     Level 3-Turbo Tunnel - 30,000 points
    •     Level 4-Arctic Caverns - 45,000 points
    •     Level 5-Surf City - 60,000 points
    •     Level 6-Karanth's Lair - 75,000 points
    •     Level 7-Volkmire's Inferno - 90,000 points
    •     Level 8-Intruder Excluder - 105,000 points
    •     Level 9-Terra Tubes - 120,000 points
    •     Level 10-Rat Race - 135,000 points
    •     Level 11-Clinger Wingers - 150,000 points
    •     Level 12-the Revolution - 165,000 points
    •     Level 13-Dark Queen - 180,000 points
  • Your final score is current score + stage bonus score
  • Highest score wins.
  • The use of stage warps is not only allowed, but encouraged.

So yeah, proof that I am so evil, evil is made of me.
Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 3
  • Love 1

That is a good challenge for Battletoads. I know you must have spent a lot of time on these rules. The main thing that bothers me is that someone could take a picture of starting out with zero lives, reset, and then play with all their lives. There's really no way to prove it, and it's beyond annoying having to lose all of your lives and then take a picture with every restart (and there will be a lot of them). There's plenty of time to iron out the rules though.

Events Team · Posted
1 minute ago, mbd39 said:

That is a good challenge for Battletoads. I know you must have spent a lot of time on these rules. The main thing that bothers me is that someone could take a picture of starting out with zero lives, reset, and then play with all their lives. There's really no way to prove it, and it's beyond annoying having to lose all of your lives and then take a picture with every restart (and there will be a lot of them). There's plenty of time to iron out the rules though.

Losing all lives at the start of the game warrants that we will only see 4 hearts at the hearts containers when you reach 400,000 points.
This is a way to prove that you started with 0 lives and didn't pick any 1 up power ups along the way.

34 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

Losing all lives at the start of the game warrants that we will only see 4 hearts at the hearts containers when you reach 400,000 points.
This is a way to prove that you started with 0 lives and didn't pick any 1 up power ups along the way.

Does this proof depend on taking a picture at the start of the run? If not then is it really necessary to do so?

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this rule set.

Events Team · Posted
2 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Does this proof depend on taking a picture at the start of the run? If not then is it really necessary to do so?

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this rule set.

That one is to prove that you didn't score any points while losing your lives.
But since the cap is 400K points or 4 lives, which happens first, I guess I could get rid of the part of taking the picture at zero lives.

1 minute ago, BeaIank said:

That one is to prove that you didn't score any points while losing your lives.
But since the cap is 400K points or 4 lives, which happens first, I guess I could get rid of the part of taking the picture at zero lives.

Yeah I'd recommend getting rid of it if possible because this is kind of an insane challenge that will require a lot of restarts.

3 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

Im so confused as I have never played battletoads.

So for that reason:

Im Out Shark Tank GIF by ABC Network

I will just take a picture of me dieing and ask for participation, nay BEG for participation!

The rule set is insane. It's more for folks who already know the game well and even then it will be a crazy challenge.

Events Helper · Posted
1 minute ago, mbd39 said:

The rule set is insane. It's more for folks who already know the game well and even then it will be a crazy challenge.

hence no participation i assume 😉  I dont even know how to begin to get to that stage, unless its the first stage 🤷‍♂️

image.thumb.png.a77a619578d83c779f4a38cacb6b140b.png

Second attempt after figuring out how something works a bit better. I'm not sure how much time I'll have to up this with Survivor going on, but I imagine this will not be challenged.

Yay! A fun puzzle game. My first full attempt. 

Edited by 0xDEAFC0DE
  • Wow! 3

On 5/2/2021 at 12:15 PM, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

FYI, if you beat the game with over 100k you can't see your full score on the top left. So, you have to reset the console and play the first stage to get to the stage clear screen. Then your full score will show next to the hi score. 

Good to know.  I've never played this game before, but I'm gonna give it the ol' college try...

EDIT: Okay, this game is fun, but a full game from level 0 takes forever, so I don't know how many times I'm gonna go through that this week.  Anyway, inaugural score: 35,645

EDIT 2: I don't know how deep you dived into the code to figure out how to get a score like 190k codeman, but it took me to level 7 just to double my score.  That being said, I do suck pretty hard at puzzle games: 68,165

EDIT3: Man, almost made it to the last level.  Still some work to do: 163,397

Q3.JPG

Edited by Dr. Morbis