IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Quarth!

BeaIank

Events Helper · Posted
4 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Holy shit... @Jeevan coming out of left field to knock me out of my silver spot!!!  I never got a chance to get back to this game and play for score this week, but I still need to beat the game for my personal list, and it looks like the best way to do that is to bank as many lives as possible to burn on the last couple levels.  Ergo.... you pretty much need to always play this game for score to bank as many lives as possible.  The game is incredibly flawed, but man, what potential...

Ya, i think if u can bank up 9 lives, then just coast after that and just do the minimal clearing u could probably easily beat it.  That will be the way i approach it anyway, probably this week since there is not a competition.

Also, sorry for knocking you out, but I got that pretty early in the week and figured it was good for 3rd at the very least.

1 hour ago, FireHazard51 said:

I barely played this game but thought it was fun but also that it would be a long game to play.  With my busy week I just never had the energy to play it.  And it looks like @Jeevancrushed it this week so nicely done.......I would of beat you if I tried 😏

1 hour ago, Jeevan said:

You should try it out this week @FireHazard51 IF you have time, it really is a fun game, grindy but fun.

After midnight last night, I looked up a speedrun. There's one video of someone beating it in 30 minutes. It feels grindy but I guess with fast tapping fingers and precision, this game isn't that long compared to most other NES titles.

Of course that player had a final score over 185k and was more than willing to startegically die to clear the busiest of levels.

Edited by RH

9 hours ago, mbd39 said:

What decides whether you get B or C? It's possible to get a bunch of C's in a row without a B in sight.

So when your clear 256 you get a B. When you clear 512 you get a C. When you clear 768 you get a B and so on. So generally you get Bs when you clear 256+512x blocks, and Cs when you clear 512x blocks (where x is an integer). But you can skip over a C appearing if you past the threshold for a C with the B powerup on screen, or you hit the B threshold when the C powerup is in delay mode. Skipping Cs doesn't make the Bs come sooner with respect of the number of blocks cleared. It just makes sure you don't skip over a B when the double C powerup is active for those 25 second. 

8 hours ago, Krunch said:

Hmm B's every 256 eh somehow this makes sense, when I was in my earlier runs I was focusing, arguably over-focusing, on just building up and clearing quantity, I seemed to get more pink blocks then?  I was probably also getting less x3's so less S and E's.... but meh.  This just seems like some under-sophisticated item/score system where the average naked-eye results fall around getting "enough" but when considering the huge score difference for B in conjunction with all the placements of possible rectangles it gets quickly and harshly skewed.  Hard to break?  Perhaps.  The mechanics are still really good in spite of it all... but I won't necessarily be building a Quarth collectibles shrine either.

I probably didn't describe it will enough but you can only get Bs every 512 blocks (see above). But that doesn't change the fact that the scoring system is indeed broken. 

2 hours ago, Jeevan said:

Ya, i think if u can bank up 9 lives, then just coast after that and just do the minimal clearing u could probably easily beat it.  That will be the way i approach it anyway, probably this week since there is not a competition.

You can actually get more than 9 lives. The game keeps track it just doesn't show them past 9 (just like the score when you get over 100k). But yes it's much easier the beat when playing for score. You get lives every 10k, so my 370k score got 37 lives which I assume I didn't even get close to using them all. 

Events Helper · Posted
4 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

So when your clear 256 you get a B. When you clear 512 you get a C. When you clear 768 you get a B and so on. So generally you get Bs when you clear 256+512x blocks, and Cs when you clear 512x blocks (where x is an integer). But you can skip over a C appearing if you past the threshold for a C with the B powerup on screen, or you hit the B threshold when the C powerup is in delay mode. Skipping Cs doesn't make the Bs come sooner with respect of the number of blocks cleared. It just makes sure you don't skip over a B when the double C powerup is active for those 25 second. 

I probably didn't describe it will enough but you can only get Bs every 512 blocks (see above). But that doesn't change the fact that the scoring system is indeed broken. 

You can actually get more than 9 lives. The game keeps track it just doesn't show them past 9 (just like the score when you get over 100k). But yes it's much easier the beat when playing for score. You get lives every 10k, so my 370k score got 37 lives which I assume I didn't even get close to using them all. 

Oh, i know, im just saying realistically if u can't game the game with your b scoring trick i think there is a chance if u get 9+ lives you should be able to beat the game.  I dont know, i made it to level 9 but not with 9 lives so maybe i am just thinking you can......the more lives the better for sure.

**edit**  what i mean is, if i were to get to 9 lives, i would basically just try and keep it clear as quick as possible to get through the game to beat it

1 minute ago, Jeevan said:

Oh, i know, im just saying realistically if u can't game the game with your b scoring trick i think there is a chance if u get 9+ lives you should be able to beat the game.  I dont know, i made it to level 9 but not with 9 lives so maybe i am just thinking you can......the more lives the better for sure.

Additionally you can try practicing the later levels from the start screen so you die less on them. And don't get discouraged when you can't beat the game from them, because I too needed extra lives. 

13 hours ago, NESfiend said:

@BeaIank @guillavoie @Jeevan - can we get a break week thread to discuss what people are or are not playing, increases in productivity, depression, etc during the off time? Im sure @SuperJimtendo would draw some shit

A separate break week nonsense thread could be a fun time. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

Yeah, broken is probably a bit hyperbolic. Unbalanced, would be more accurate. The main problem is when playing for score B powerups are way too many points. Therefore it makes it trivial to get enough lives if you know what you're doing.

But would average player not analyzing the code be able to figure out how the powerups work? They mostly seem random.

@Dr. Morbis was 100% right when he said all the potential in rhe world with some bad execution. I can give it a pass for being too slow for too long before it gets challenging. Really came to like playing at all phases. Scoring system is asinine. More/Smaller point bonuses and variations on combo points, so many ways to make it interesting. Anything but a single point per block plus the randomly placed 15k bonus. 

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted
1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

@Dr. Morbis was 100% right when he said all the potential in rhe world with some bad execution. I can give it a pass for being too slow for too long before it gets challenging. Really came to like playing at all phases. Scoring system is asinine. More/Smaller point bonuses and variations on combo points, so many ways to make it interesting. Anything but a single point per block plus the randomly placed 15k bonus. 

IDK what you all are talking about, I enjoyed it 😎

too bad friggin deafcode participated 😒

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, mbd39 said:

But would average player not analyzing the code be able to figure out how the powerups work? They mostly seem random.

That is true. But even without knowing how the powerups work, the Bs come frequently enough that they are still score the bulk of the points. Knowing how they work just makes it worse. 

1 hour ago, Jeevan said:

IDK what you all are talking about, I enjoyed it 😎

too bad friggin deafcode participated 😒

Dont get me wrong. I really did end up enjoying it. Its a really cool game, just seems like there wasnt mucu thought put into scoring 

• Like 1

• The topic was unpinned