IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Quarth!

BeaIank

I updated my score to 68Kish.  I thought I’d be doing better by now.  I got a few okay combos, but it’s just all too easy to go for a long time without moving the needle, basically scoring nothing for the stretch except tiny points.  I like the game but it’s a grueling commitment once you’ve nailed the basics.  I just want like 6th place...

2 hours ago, Krunch said:

I updated my score to 68Kish.  I thought I’d be doing better by now.  I got a few okay combos, but it’s just all too easy to go for a long time without moving the needle, basically scoring nothing for the stretch except tiny points.  I like the game but it’s a grueling commitment once you’ve nailed the basics.  I just want like 6th place...

Yeah, this game has someone random patterns and it seems to me that 75-85% of my points are scored on pinks. That, to me, is a bit broken.

I really like this game and it's great for the NES era but I think a remake or update might be better. Something with newer patterns a better RNG for layout of lines and an improved scoring mechanism.

3 hours ago, RH said:

Yeah, this game has someone random patterns and it seems to me that 75-85% of my points are scored on pinks. That, to me, is a bit broken.

I really like this game and it's great for the NES era but I think a remake or update might be better. Something with newer patterns a better RNG for layout of lines and an improved scoring mechanism.

Indeed, it has excellent base mechanics, and would be a prime remake candidate. I had recognized the name of this and remembered I randomly bought it on Game Boy a few years back.  It seems every other entry in the series is non-North American.  I happened to read that you can store powerups in the GB entry.

In some games a long playing time can mitigate tilted RNG, but this almost goes too far the other way and asks you to invest too much time to get the good stuff.  You're busy as hell for the rest of it clearing things off or trying to make meager gains on normal arrangements.  On top of that, if I'm interpreting what DeafCode was talking about before correctly the C powerup only multiplies pink blocks by 2?  So even on a 6x that only makes them worth 12 apiece compared to the B which makes them all 300 flat, and multipliable?  That's a gigantic slant.  But, if that's the game then that's the thing to go for.   Timewise... I sorta wanna do other things tonight though lol

13 minutes ago, Krunch said:

On top of that, if I'm interpreting what DeafCode was talking about before correctly the C powerup only multiplies pink blocks by 2?  So even on a 6x that only makes them worth 12 apiece compared to the B which makes them all 300 flat, and multipliable?  That's a gigantic slant.

The C powerup isn't just a x2 multiplier for the pink blocks. It triggers a multiplier for a set amount of time (25 seconds I think). And the B bonus is just 300 per pink block, and then the blocks are scored normally as if they where all standard blocks. If you are curious, no it's not possible to have multiple powerups active at the same time (a new one won't spawn until all powerup effects have worn off.

Still the B powerup is worth way more than anything else.

5 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

The C powerup isn't just a x2 multiplier for the pink blocks. It triggers a multiplier for a set amount of time (25 seconds I think). And the B bonus is just 300 per pink block, and then the blocks are scored normally as if they where all standard blocks. If you are curious, no it's not possible to have multiple powerups active at the same time (a new one won't spawn until all powerup effects have worn off.

Still the B powerup is worth way more than anything else.

This is better.  I must have conflated the C powerup in my gameplay, I thought it was only lasting until the pink was destroyed (unless that also happens if it's under 25 seconds? isn't there always a pink simultaneous with a C?)

I had the B correct, so the key to B's then is getting a big pink area, and the consolation prize is that you can do okay just making a big lone pink block if thats what it comes to.  

1 minute ago, Krunch said:

This is better.  I must have conflated the C powerup in my gameplay, I thought it was only lasting until the pink was destroyed (unless that also happens if it's under 25 seconds? isn't there always a pink simultaneous with a C?)

I had the B correct, so the key to B's then is getting a big pink area, and the consolation prize is that you can do okay just making a big lone pink block if thats what it comes to.  

So, the letter in the cursor just lets you know what powerup is coming up. You don't actually activate the powerup until you clear the pink (or white in case of S and E powerups) blocks.

Yes, for the B powerup your best bet is making as long of a pink block as possible.

I've played a few more runs, but haven't come close to my score.  The last few times I haven't even spawned the pink blocks.  Even though I've got much further, my score just doesn't improve at all.  I'm probably still gonna play a couple times, but I doubt I'm gonna bother playing enough to improve.  Looks like a participation game for me.

1 minute ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

So, the letter in the cursor just lets you know what powerup is coming up. You don't actually activate the powerup until you clear the pink (or white in case of S and E powerups) blocks.

Yes, for the B powerup your best bet is making as long of a pink block as possible.

Oh yeah good point I knew it went that way for the beloved S and E blocks so then for the C the multiplier starts AFTER the activation (activation = pink is destroyed)?  Then for 25 seconds its x2.  Does that also mean that the pink clear isnt even multiplied at all?

2 minutes ago, Krunch said:

Oh yeah good point I knew it went that way for the beloved S and E blocks so then for the C the multiplier starts AFTER the activation (activation = pink is destroyed)?  Then for 25 seconds its x2.  Does that also mean that the pink clear isnt even multiplied at all?

The C multiplier starts as the pink is destroyed. So the pink blocks are multiplied x2. And multipliers do stack (so a x2 with a three block combo would be x6).

14 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

The C multiplier starts as the pink is destroyed. So the pink blocks are multiplied x2. And multipliers do stack (so a x2 with a three block combo would be x6).

Cool cool well it should give me a small boost now that I know to go big flurry after busting a pink C but ultimately climbing the point ladder feels like a looong trek.  I did really want to get good at this.  🤒

26 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I've played a few more runs, but haven't come close to my score.  The last few times I haven't even spawned the pink blocks.  Even though I've got much further, my score just doesn't improve at all.  I'm probably still gonna play a couple times, but I doubt I'm gonna bother playing enough to improve.  Looks like a participation game for me.

Yeah dude, it's a big time ask.  I'm gonna do the same thing, play a few more times, but unless I magically break some barrier I'm just gonna shoot as high as I can and hope I can maybe hold onto the bottom of the ranks.

5 hours ago, RH said:

It's beyond broken; for me, Pink blocks on a 'B' upgrade account for 95%+ of my entire score.  Worst part is, once you hit 100k, it just shows 99999 in the top left for the entire rest of the game..... BROKEN!  WTF Konami! (I still like the concept a lot, just the execution is lacking in a big way...)

6 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Man is this a grind. You pretty much need to hack away at it until you get good luck with the B's. And if you're not getting good B's on stage 0 then you might as well reset.

I am finding this fun playing in like half hour shifts. Run I did today, I died getting greedy/sloppy trying to stack up a huge pink block. Gut wrenching losing all those points. 

24 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

I am finding this fun playing in like half hour shifts. Run I did today, I died getting greedy/sloppy trying to stack up a huge pink block. Gut wrenching losing all those points. 

That's happened to me way too many times, and it always hurts so bad when it does.