IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Quarth!

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted
2 hours ago, arnpoly said:

What even are those Battletoads rules? Lol.  Should be a fun week that's for sure.

Since everyone and their mothers were maxing the score when Battletoads was on the line up, I decided to come up with rules that would make up for a slight harder challenge. Still only a moderate difficulty.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

Since everyone and their mothers were maxing the score when Battletoads was on the line up, I decided to come up with rules that would make up for a slight harder challenge. Still only a moderate difficulty.

You people that are actually good at video games. 🙄

5 hours ago, RH said:

You people that are actually good at video games. 🙄

No fucking shit.  I don't have the time to get that good at Battletoads.  I barely even LIKE the game.  Like, it's okay, but I'm not much for beat-em-ups in general.  I'll probably post a participation score, if even that.  Fuck that game.

6 hours ago, dvertov said:

I’ve always enjoyed this game but I’ve never understood the scoring. And it does get tedious.

Every block that disappears is worth a point, from what I can tell.  You get multipliers from multiple blocks clearing at once.  So if the screen is clear except a block or two, try building the size of the single block before you clear it to get a few extra points early on.  The further you get, the faster the scroll, and the less room for error.

Also, I can't figure out what the red blocks do, but the white ones will clear everything on the screen when you clear them.  Not sure if you get the points for the blocks or not though, so I'm not sure if it's to your advantage to wait for a full screen or just to get rid of them alone.

10 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

quarth.thumb.jpg.af403e65ab68e39cb4d5b5a09f99c98e.jpg

I'd try to do better, but my hand is already cramped.  Especially since I missed the chance TWICE to get the picture, so I had to get through two stages just to take the picture of my goddamn score.  I hate games that don't have a high score screen...ugh.

After game over, start a new game, kill off your 3 men, and the game over screen will show the high score along with your score of zero.  Look at my posted score for an example...

Just now, the_wizard_666 said:

Also, I can't figure out what the red blocks do, but the white ones will clear everything on the screen when you clear them.  Not sure if you get the points for the blocks or not though, so I'm not sure if it's to your advantage to wait for a full screen or just to get rid of them alone.

So there are two forms of white and red blocks. One of the white blocks (the one where your cursor is an "E") will "Erase" the screen. The other where the cursor is an "S" will pause "Scrolling". For the red ones, "C" will trigger double points for a limited amount of time. And "B" will award bonus points for each red block cleared.

"B" is by far the most important. I think the bonus is 300 per block. So, you can score some insane 20k+ points in one clear.

Also, I do believe you get points for the blocks cleared with the "E" powerup.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

Score updated. Anyone think they up for the challenge of beating it?

What in the name of all fuck are you doing to get scores like that? I don't think I'll even hit 100k if/when I do beat this game.  I got to level 7 for my score, and I believe there are only 9 levels total...

1 minute ago, Dr. Morbis said:

After game over, start a new game, kill off your 3 men, and the game over screen will show the high score along with your score of zero.  Look at my posted score for an example...

Yeah this works as long as your score is below 100k. After that you have to do the stage clear thing since that's the only place the score is reported with 6 digits.

1 minute ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

So there are two forms of white and red blocks. One of the white blocks (the one where your cursor is an "E") will "Erase" the screen. The other where the cursor is an "S" will pause "Scrolling". For the red ones, "C" will trigger double points for a limited amount of time. And "B" will award bonus points for each red block cleared.

"B" is by far the most important. I think the bonus is 300 per block. So, you can score some insane 20k+ points in one clear.

Also, I do believe you get points for the blocks cleared with the "E" powerup.

That explains the letters then!  And I'd think the E would be best used in an emergency, as the combo points would outweigh the block points overall.  Good to have it, but not something to save unless you have a shitload on screen...then target it immediately.

Also good to know about the points.  I'm gonna have to give it a run when my hand feels better so I can improve my shite score 😛

What in the name of all fuck are you doing to get scores like that? I don't think I'll even hit 100k if/when I do beat this game.  I got to level 7 for my score, and I believe there are only 9 levels total...

There is a trick to getting the "B" powerups that I might have discovered after taking a peek at the code. That's how I'm getting so high. Also it keeps track of your lives past 9, so even thought I'm not great at the last couple levels, I've built up more than enough to finish it. But I'm getting most of my points in the slow levels anyway.

1 minute ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

Yeah this works as long as your score is below 100k. After that you have to do the stage clear thing since that's the only place the score is reported with 6 digits.

I was under 100K, so it would've helped had I known that before I played two damn levels 😛

Luckily you can pause on the tally screen, so as long as you do that you should be okay to take your picture.   Just sucks if you forget 😛

10 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

EDIT 2: I don't know how deep you dived into the code to figure out how to get a score like 190k codeman, but it took me to level 7 just to double my score.  That being said, I do suck pretty hard at puzzle games: 68,165

Dude, really?  I only beat the first two stages and got 32K.  Also, the speed is such that I may not be able to progress the game much further than that...

2 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

There is a trick to getting the "B" powerups that I might have discovered after taking a peek at the code.

Motherfucker 🙂 Just like Blue Marlin... I didn't see you getting many points last week when it was a shmup that required actual skill 😛

There are seven days to go for Quarth, but I'm going to go ahead and get this outta the way early:  Congrats to 0xDEAFCODE on his win this week with Quarth!!!!

• Haha 1

Motherfucker 🙂 Just like Blue Marlin... I didn't see you getting many points last week when it was a shmup that required actual skill 😛

There are seven days to go for Quarth, but I'm going to go ahead and get this outta the way early:  Congrats to 0xDEAFCODE on his win this week with Quarth!!!!

Lol, I hate shmups. I almost never try much past participation. Puzzle games on the other hand, are where it's at. Even when I'm not looking through the code, I've been known to break them (such as Yoshi's Cookie from last year).

2 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

It's not a puzzle game.  It's a shooter disguised as a puzzler.

No, it's a puzzler disguised as a shooter.  And the only reason I can last so long, is because I'm a twitch gamer.  But I have literally no strategy; I'm just shooting shit before it hits the bottom of the screen...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

No, it's a puzzler disguised as a shooter.  And the only reason I can last so long, is because I'm a twitch gamer.  But I have literally no strategy; I'm just shooting shit before it hits the bottom of the screen...

That's LITERALLY the point of the game.  To shoot shit before it hits the bottom of the screen.  You're gonna beat this game long before I'm even able to get half-way, score be damned.  When going for a score, it's a tactical shooter.  When you don't give a crap about score, it's a shooter, plain and simple.

1 minute ago, the_wizard_666 said:

That's LITERALLY the point of the game.  To shoot shit before it hits the bottom of the screen.  You're gonna beat this game long before I'm even able to get half-way, score be damned.  When going for a score, it's a tactical shooter.  When you don't give a crap about score, it's a shooter, plain and simple.

Well, once I beat the game, I'll be done with it regardless of what my score is, because I ain't got no tactics 😛

• Haha 1