IGNORED

The Price Thread (predictions, hot prices, cold prices, anomalies, etc)

Over the next few months, Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon on Wii is going to start pushing towards $300+ for a CIB copy and around $800+ for a sealed copy. Please, feel free to quote me. 🤑 Crimson Tears on PS2 is looking like it's on track to where I predicted it would be as well. Last disc only copy sold for $60. There is a disc only copy for $35 with no bids though, so that's interesting. I could also see Legend of the RIver King on Ps2 pushing $40-$50 for a CIB copy by the end of the year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sir Centroid said:

Over the next few months, Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon on Wii is going to start pushing towards $300+ for a CIB copy and around $800+ for a sealed copy. Please, feel free to quote me. 🤑 Crimson Tears on PS2 is looking like it's on track to where I predicted it would be as well. Last disc only copy sold for $60. There is a disc only copy for $35 with no bids though, so that's interesting. I could also see Legend of the RIver King on Ps2 pushing $40-$50 for a CIB copy by the end of the year.

Good work here.  Thank you.  I try to buy all of your recommendations.  Keep em coming.

• Thanks 1

The prices for Pokémon Colosseum and Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness on the GameCube are insane. The GBA Pokémon games too.

Maybe five years ago I bought a CIB copy of Colosseum off a guy for $20 Canadian (also bought a loose FireRed off him for $20). As of right now, according to the GameEye app, Colosseum is valued at $176 (FireRed is $99). I didn’t get around to getting a CIB XD until a few months ago because I couldn’t find one locally. I managed to find one at a local used game store. I knew at this point I would have to pay up, but I really wanted this game. They wanted $120, but I got it for $110. GameEye says it’s valued at $260 now. 

I predict these games will not drop in price. They may even continue to soar. People just love Pokémon that much.

As much as I don't plan to sell it, the raging stupidity behind sealed copies of games right now is even make me eyeball that pokemon game on my shelf.  But then another thing I hesitate on, if I did get rid of it, boy would I never trust the USPS with something that expensive as they're blatant lazy and destructive idiots.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tanooki said:

As much as I don't plan to sell it, the raging stupidity behind sealed copies of games right now is even make me eyeball that pokemon game on my shelf.  But then another thing I hesitate on, if I did get rid of it, boy would I never trust the USPS with something that expensive as they're blatant lazy and destructive idiots.

I’ve sold and shipped about 4,000 packages with USPS and I’ve had 1 damaged. Last month I decided to ship with UPS (for the first—and last—time ever) on a large package because it was cheaper, and it arrived completely destroyed and I was out the whole cost plus return shipping so I could verify. 

Edited by cma2032
  • Like 1

I think USPS is legit hit or miss depending on the first and last PO it goes through, and if you have a sucky PO, you're just going to get more grief.

I recall as a kid probably 5% of our mail never showed up. Easily 5%, maybe more. My Mom always had a calendar of when to expect certain bills to arrive and if one was late, she'd call the utility company, or whoever, and ask them to resend the bill. I have no clue how it happened but it was specific to our local PO outside of Columbia, SC. They just didn't seem to care.

In the 80s and 90s, obviously people didn't order as much stuff but I'm sure they damaged their fair share of packages and probably even "lost" quite a few and to this day my Mom has to verify we get cards from her and Dad at Christmas and Birthdays. We usually do, but one or two has been lost over the years. It's crazy to me. The 30 years my family has lived in that area, the PO is still terrible.

It's not fair to blame the PO all the time. You won't believe how many people write the address incorrectly or with poor handwriting or write it in such a way that it gets easily rubbed off during transit.

Just last month a Mercari package had my address written with dry erase marker on top of the packaging tape and it was almost faded completely. It was pure luck my street number and unit number were just barely visible. Some time ago another package from Mercari had my printed address but it wasn't laminated with clear tape so the print got nearly rubbed off by the time it arrived.

Another thing is I don't think one shipping service is better over another. Truth is none of them give a fuck about handling your package delicately so it's on you to make sure to pack to the best of your ability with lots of bubble wrap, crumpled newspaper padding and maybe even double boxing for valuable/fragile items.

Edited by bowser
Slight change in wording

Across the board dumb isn't fair.

Where I live is the corporate offices and national hub for UPS.  I've had a great majority of my boxes coming in from them messed up, anything from moderate crushing up to blowing a HOLE through the box ruining the contents.  When I lived out west originally and back for a few years, I rarely if ever had a problem with them.  I've rarely if ever had an issue with Fedex or the few cases I've used another courier like DHL.  But UPS, it's like let's phonetically say them as 'oops' as in they don't give a crap.  You'd think they'd not want to piss off people in the same city they're based out of in case they set off a crazy.  I've gone to the point now I won't buy stuff from places that only use them, and I try and get others who mail me not to use them too but sometimes it's not avoidable.

On 5/22/2021 at 1:18 PM, croagunk said:

The prices for Pokémon Colosseum and Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness on the GameCube are insane. The GBA Pokémon games too.

Maybe five years ago I bought a CIB copy of Colosseum off a guy for $20 Canadian (also bought a loose FireRed off him for $20). As of right now, according to the GameEye app, Colosseum is valued at $176 (FireRed is $99). I didn’t get around to getting a CIB XD until a few months ago because I couldn’t find one locally. I managed to find one at a local used game store. I knew at this point I would have to pay up, but I really wanted this game. They wanted $120, but I got it for $110. GameEye says it’s valued at $260 now. 

I predict these games will not drop in price. They may even continue to soar. People just love Pokémon that much.

I bought Colosseum a few years back for maybe 10 or 15 dollars. Put it on eBay a few months ago for 180 obo and it sold in a day or two for full price. 

• Like 1

Nice @CasualCart couldn't happen soon enough after the last year and a half in particular, especially if a handheld fan just this year.

And @croagunk and @Andy_Bogomil you're right about that.  I've picked up my fair share of pokemon games even into 2020 where they (handheld stuff) still was in the $15-20 range, console a little more but not much.  RIght now those prices are right, but as we discuss them they're so erratic they're going up by the days/week.  That firered you quote at $99, it was $90 a couple weeks to a month ago so it's gone up another 10%.  I've got a FireRed I intend to sell, I priced it a month ago at that, and I don't see any reason to raise it.  As I figure once it hits $110-120, someone will be happy with a deal which is truly sad.  I've got a beat up silver as well(partly messed up sticker) and even those aren't taking more than like a $10 hit off a clean one which is weird as well.  Even traded a gold off the other day, I know it'll be worth even more in another week or two but I got something I wanted in trade. 😄

Around 3 mo ago I was ticked when I saw that Pokemon Colosseum game for like $100 complete at a goodwill because they wanted retail, now I would have bought it, but I would have been shocked it was a deal as much so too (again, sad.)

• Like 1

Here's a few more.

This info won't benefit anyone other than those that already have the game (seeing as how there are no copies currently available for sale anywhere), but if we go another month or so without a nice condition cart copy of Return on the Ninja on the GBC popping up for sale, then the next minty cart will likely sell for $220-$250 if listed for that much via BIN. A very nice/minty CIB copy will more than likely sell for an easy $1k-$1200+. 

I already mentioned this one before, but Stretch Panic on the Ps2 is currently hovering around $45-$55 for a CIB copy, a bit of a contrast from the $25 it was going for around 5 months ago. I expect it to be closer to $65-$70+ by the end of the year. With there being a decent number of copies out there though, I don't expect it to hit anything like $80+ until at least next year at the earliest, if at all.

Touch Detective on the DS is another interesting one. Carts range from $25-$30, CIB ranges from $40-$50, and Sealed has been sitting at around $90-$100 for a while now. If I were interested in this game at all, I would absolutely be nervous for a few reasons. CIB copies don't pop up to often at all, it's an Atlus published title, we're in the middle of a DS price boom, and those price ranges are close enough together that it seems obvious to me that it would only take one small drought or push from anyone with any kind of youtube/twitch fame to easily push CIB copies over $100+. I'm actually surprised that it has been held back for this long. Oh yeah, and it's a good game!

Here's a pair of Natsume published Ps2 titles that have some very real room for price spikes, much like Chulip. Finny the Fish & the Seven Waters, and Metropolismania 2. Neither of them seem to be common in the wild, and there usually aren't very many copies available of either game at any given time. CIB copies of Metropolismania 2 has been holding at $15-$25 for a fairly long time now & sealed copies at around $40 or so, and both CIB and Sealed copies of Finny the Fish have also been holding at $15-$25 for a while now. When sealed copies of a game are going for the same amount as CIB copies and there are either very few copies or no copies available of either CIB or sealed, that's usually a recipe for a price spike. As some of us saw with Xtreme Sports by Wayforward on the GBC, sealed copies sat at $40 for the longest time, then they sold out and the rest is history.

I haven't been doing as much price monitoring recently as I have in the past, so I'll probably need to brush up on a lot of stuff before I put out any more predictions. I have a few other predictions in mind, but I need to do some research first. 

21 hours ago, Tanooki said:

This is why I always double box or triple box high cost items, all it took was one low dollar item getting destroyed via USPS for me to decide that I wasn't going to risk any three digit cost item getting destroyed by an act of carelessness on their part. I never had an issue after that, but better safe than sorry.

• Like 2

I could see that.  With something on that order, I'd go with probably fedex or dhl.  I'd insure the max amount possible on it whatever that cost is, and then a good triple boxing, having something so small probably put in a 2ftx2ftx2ft box with one half that size in the middle of a smaller yet one around the game and with probably $50+ worth of bubble wrap in every bit of empty space.  It would literally be one giant airbag with a little goodie in the middle.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sir Centroid said:

Here's a few more.

This info won't benefit anyone other than those that already have the game (seeing as how there are no copies currently available for sale anywhere), but if we go another month or so without a nice condition cart copy of Return on the Ninja on the GBC popping up for sale, then the next minty cart will likely sell for $220-$250 if listed for that much via BIN. A very nice/minty CIB copy will more than likely sell for an easy $1k-$1200+. 

I already mentioned this one before, but Stretch Panic on the Ps2 is currently hovering around $45-$55 for a CIB copy, a bit of a contrast from the $25 it was going for around 5 months ago. I expect it to be closer to $65-$70+ by the end of the year. With there being a decent number of copies out there though, I don't expect it to hit anything like $80+ until at least next year at the earliest, if at all.

Touch Detective on the DS is another interesting one. Carts range from $25-$30, CIB ranges from $40-$50, and Sealed has been sitting at around $90-$100 for a while now. If I were interested in this game at all, I would absolutely be nervous for a few reasons. CIB copies don't pop up to often at all, it's an Atlus published title, we're in the middle of a DS price boom, and those price ranges are close enough together that it seems obvious to me that it would only take one small drought or push from anyone with any kind of youtube/twitch fame to easily push CIB copies over $100+. I'm actually surprised that it has been held back for this long. Oh yeah, and it's a good game!

Here's a pair of Natsume published Ps2 titles that have some very real room for price spikes, much like Chulip. Finny the Fish & the Seven Waters, and Metropolismania 2. Neither of them seem to be common in the wild, and there usually aren't very many copies available of either game at any given time. CIB copies of Metropolismania 2 has been holding at $15-$25 for a fairly long time now & sealed copies at around $40 or so, and both CIB and Sealed copies of Finny the Fish have also been holding at $15-$25 for a while now. When sealed copies of a game are going for the same amount as CIB copies and there are either very few copies or no copies available of either CIB or sealed, that's usually a recipe for a price spike. As some of us saw with Xtreme Sports by Wayforward on the GBC, sealed copies sat at $40 for the longest time, then they sold out and the rest is history.

I haven't been doing as much price monitoring recently as I have in the past, so I'll probably need to brush up on a lot of stuff before I put out any more predictions. I have a few other predictions in mind, but I need to do some research first. 

This is why I always double box or triple box high cost items, all it took was one low dollar item getting destroyed via USPS for me to decide that I wasn't going to risk any three digit cost item getting destroyed by an act of carelessness on their part. I never had an issue after that, but better safe than sorry.

Speaking of these types of games, looks like pocky and rocky and becky is in the $300's now cart only. 

• Like 1

On 5/22/2021 at 1:26 AM, Sir Centroid said:

MJR had Crimson Tears on a PS2 hidden gems video many years ago. I bought it and played through the game back then. It was decent but nothing special. I have never heard one other person mention it until now 😄

• Like 2

It seems PSP games are finally starting to get the recognition they deserve.  So many cool games for it IMO.  Mega Man Powered up, Power Stone Collection, Gradius Collection, the only home version of Alpha 3 Double Upper (Max) ever released, etc.  I wonder what games will become the top five or top ten in value as the collection starts to heat up.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, AdamW said:

"Starts to heat up"? Have you checked Persona prices, er, more or less ever? 😛 edit: there are also quite a lot of other JRPG-ish things that have been fairly expensive for a long time.

I see.  Ok so Persona is the top right now.  What are some other titles that will be top 10 / top 5?  TIA

4 hours ago, tbone3969 said:

I see.  Ok so Persona is the top right now.  What are some other titles that will be top 10 / top 5?  TIA

Uhhh there are lots of psp games that are worth $$$. Besides persona (and all three of them fetch crazy prices), there's all of the xseed games (ys, lunar, trails in the sky, etc), star oceans, legend of heroes, most or all of the atlus titles, jeanne d'arc, third birthday, those UK premium editions like tactics ogre, kingdom hearts, etc etc.

• Like 1