IGNORED

The Price Thread (predictions, hot prices, cold prices, anomalies, etc)

2 hours ago, tidaldreams said:

Uhhh there are lots of psp games that are worth $$$. Besides persona (and all three of them fetch crazy prices), there's all of the xseed games (ys, lunar, trails in the sky, etc), star oceans, legend of heroes, most or all of the atlus titles, jeanne d'arc, third birthday, those UK premium editions like tactics ogre, kingdom hearts, etc etc.

Shhhhhh...

I'm trying to finish getting that few titles on PSP I want.  They just need to not explode in price for like 1 more month

40 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

should i spend the $$$ now on a nice nes tmnt cib

its only going to go up am i right?

i wanted to spend $50 on one but thats not happening

I would go for it.  The Turtles are still very popular.  Even my two year old loves them.  I think anything Turtles related is a great investment and will only go up.

• Like 2

FWIW, at least for Pokemon, I feel like prices are actually starting to flatten out. There was kind of a high point a couple of weeks back when that one guy sold his entire collection for really high prices, and since then prices haven't kept shooting up. They're still high, and people are buying, but the volume isn't crazy and no-one's biting on the stuff at four-figure prices right now. I really need to get some graphing into my db tool as it's hard to just read off numbers and picture them (I guess that's why people invented graphs, huh?), but here for instance are prices for "quality sales" of Red (plausibly complete in box, I graded condition over 69) for the last couple of months, columns are end date, condition (out of 100), price:

2021-03-27  70         345    
2021-03-27  81         539    
2021-04-03  89         1225   
2021-04-04  76         399    
2021-04-05  77         501    
2021-04-05  74         345    
2021-04-06  70         525    
2021-04-08  70         359.99 
2021-04-11  70         810    
2021-04-14  70         435    
2021-04-14  82         500    
2021-04-16  70         399.99 
2021-04-26  73         450    
2021-04-26  80         1150   
2021-04-30  72         529.05 
2021-05-03  79         325    
2021-05-03  86         1299.99
2021-05-05  72         360    
2021-05-11  79         355    
2021-05-11  80         657.46 
2021-05-23  75         530    
2021-05-23  82         299    
2021-05-24  70         260    

there's always a lot of variability in prices - the high end are usually well-described US auction listings with good pictures, the low end are listings from the Netherlands or something with fuzzy pictures and a bad title and sometimes in the wrong category, or just lowball BIN prices - but the trend looks to be fairly flat to me lately. From January to March it was going up fast.

• Like 1

Pokemon is nuts, at least someone is tracking that mess.

I really wish that tax garbage wasn't going to drop next year and that I didn't fear breaking the 20k this year given how much I've accelerated offloading my collection of stuff.  I don't like it, but I'd be willing to let loose my sealed Red for some grading crazy to enjoy.  I'd just replace it with an immaculate CIB copy that looks sealed quality in niceness for the shadowbox and live with it.

I just don't want to breach 20k given what I've let loose.  it's hard with the new ebay panel to calculate the intake.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Pokemon is nuts, at least someone is tracking that mess.

I really wish that tax garbage wasn't going to drop next year and that I didn't fear breaking the 20k this year given how much I've accelerated offloading my collection of stuff.  I don't like it, but I'd be willing to let loose my sealed Red for some grading crazy to enjoy.  I'd just replace it with an immaculate CIB copy that looks sealed quality in niceness for the shadowbox and live with it.

I just don't want to breach 20k given what I've let loose.  it's hard with the new ebay panel to calculate the intake.

is your sealed Red a Sandshrew print?

Here's an interesting lil price thing. A WATA 9.2/A+ Pokemon Red third print (black ESRB logo) sold for $15,000 at HA in January: https://comics.ha.com/itm/video-games/a/7239-93039.s . Another one just sold today on eBay...and "only" got $10,100: https://www.ebay.com/itm/164880627735?nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true . Now that's still a lot of scratch, but very interesting to see an identically graded print sell for a third less now than in January...

2 hours ago, AdamW said:

Here's an interesting lil price thing. A WATA 9.2/A+ Pokemon Red third print (black ESRB logo) sold for $15,000 at HA in January: https://comics.ha.com/itm/video-games/a/7239-93039.s . Another one just sold today on eBay...and "only" got $10,100: https://www.ebay.com/itm/164880627735?nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true . Now that's still a lot of scratch, but very interesting to see an identically graded print sell for a third less now than in January...

Yeah it's almost as though the market is entirely irrational and built on unsustainable hype! But... I mean... it COULDN'T be, could it? 🤔

Edited by OptOut
  • Like 8

The thing is with that price territory is that there are only a finite amount of buyers who are willing to pay $10k+ for a graded Pokemons. Once the biggest buyer steps up and drops the first $15k, there isn't automatically another one behind them waiting to spend that much or more even if a nicer copy comes along.

Most of the money in Pokemon is in the cards and not in the game world also. A card collector would be much more willing to drop big money on a card and only have the games as an afterthought. 

Also, GBC money isn't NES or SNES money yet and Pokemon is the best selling franchise of all time.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

The thing is with that price territory is that there are only a finite amount of buyers who are willing to pay $10k+ for a graded Pokemons. Once the biggest buyer steps up and drops the first $15k, there isn't automatically another one behind them waiting to spend that much or more even if a nicer copy comes along.

Most of the money in Pokemon is in the cards and not in the game world also. A card collector would be much more willing to drop big money on a card and only have the games as an afterthought. 

Also, GBC money isn't NES or SNES money yet and Pokemon is the best selling franchise of all time.

Well, that all sounds very convincing but the reason it's interesting is that up until now that's not what was happening at all; up till now things were selling for higher and higher amounts. That's why it's interesting to see a case of it not happening for a change. (Along with some other indicators I'm watching).

Edit: and Red is a GB game, not a GBC game. And indeed not NES money, but it beats SNES: I believe the top several game sales outside of NES games are all Pokémon (the highest was a Crystal for $90k).

Edited by AdamW