IGNORED

The Price Thread (predictions, hot prices, cold prices, anomalies, etc)

46 minutes ago, jonebone said:

A starblade alpha sold for $700 in January, lol.  The days of $100 are behind you, though agreed, it was in the $150 range a long time.  I sold a VGA 85+ sealed copy a few months back when I upgraded to 90+ and sealed price was pretty stagnant around $1k at the time too.  I bet that is no longer the case.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124539338836

And yes, Super Mario World in VG or better shape is $1k+ already.

Sealed?  Cuz I feel like I would’ve noticed that CIB

5874F324-6B75-4AF1-9DA4-1D9C3EB2AD5C.png

16 hours ago, jonebone said:

Funny you mentioned this example, someone messaged me last week trying to buy mine.  When a uncommon title droughts it price doesn't usually return back to normal.  Look at some similar NES exmaples like Cliffhanger, that one is way up over the last year.  When the demand gets so high it takes a lot of supply to bring it down... and if the title was already uncommon then the supply usually doesn't catch up.

That makes sense. I gotta saythough, I’m surprised it’s gone as high as it has. There’s a cart only copy on eBay right now going for way more than it has a right to...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Mask-Super-Nintendo-Entertainment-System-SNES-OEM-Cartridge-Only/303949218092?epid=214710404&hash=item46c4c9012c:g:AbwAAOSw7QdgbKg8

• Haha 1

On 4/7/2021 at 8:16 AM, AdamW said:

I think this is true, but the way you phrased it sounds a bit judgmental (not sure if that was intentional). It's definitely the case that this market cares in a different way: specifically they care about significance and not absolute rarity of the game. I don't see that either obviously makes more sense than the other, though.

Stadium Events' status, AIUI, is basically what it is because a) getting an NES full set became a Thing in game collecting circles and b) there are really, really few copies of it. So, that's real, but...does it make that much more sense than going nuts for Mario? It's not a particularly great game, by all accounts, and it's rare under the name Stadium Events because it got renamed and re-released, and you can buy the re-released game for a dollar. It has zero cultural significance besides being a rare NES game. It's not the foundation of a thirty year cross-media juggernaut. Very few kids have fond memories of hours spent playing...Stadium Events.

So yeah, it's true that there are two different mindsets about what to value here. But I don't really see that valuing Stadium Events higher than Mario means you "care about video games" more. It means you care about "collecting video games" in the way that people who want NES full sets care about collecting video games, but does it mean more than that?

The judgemental tone was unintentional.  It was a sloppy way of saying "people aspire for different things".

Air Gio . Here . Prices R Out of Control.  $25K Asking Price For A Sealed Turbo Duo . WAT THAT Guy On Ebay Smoking Crack Rocks.  Sorry for jumping OFF subject . SUPER Mario  🌎 Snes People Say its tha Best Game EVER Made . Rarebucky Sold One Sealed For $10K.Worth Every Dollar I Say 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tbone3969 said:

Anyone think Genesis will start to see similar spikes?  I'm thinking of picking up some middle to high end games for it.

I think as time goes on and the hobby grows, Genesis will spike, especially popular titles. I think the original Mortal Kombat, the blood game that started it all, will rival Sonic.

• Like 2

On 4/4/2021 at 8:17 PM, ThePhleo said:

I’m predicting a hard turn into PS1/PS2, especially series like Resident Evil, Castlevania, Final Fantasy, Crash, Spyro, Metal Gear, Ratchet and Clank, Gran Turismo, Tekken, Grand Theft Auto, God of War, and Devil May Cry.

Theyre largely untapped libraries with huge amounts of “first” titles.

Nintendo was king for a while, but Sony has been on top since 1995. It’s time to let them shine.

Gran Turismo, GTA 3, and God of War have all sold for over $10,000 sealed and 9.8 WATA graded 😮

Edited by BreaKBeatZ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BreaKBeatZ said:

Gran Turismo, GTA 3, and God of War have all sold for over $10,000 sealed and 9.8 WATA graded 😮

While not as high yet, I noticed Final Fantasy X and Kingdom Hearts sold for a combined ~$9k-$10k this last week on HA. Still waiting on getting my grades back... But am expecting good results. I paid about $450 raw for the pair just 12 months ago lol. No plans on selling though, my favorite games from when I was young. 

• Like 1

As someone who's fairly new here I do wonder whether mass-produced "plastic games" can reasonably hold valuations as high as mass-produced "cardboard games", when the containers are in general sturdier, and more susceptible to replacement if broken. You can swap out a jewel case or a DVD-style case - either entirely, or just parts, like the disc tray - quite easily, unless it's a special one with a logo imprinted on it or some kind of specific multi-disc arrangement; you can't swap out a cardboard box except with another entire cardboard box of the same game...even if the case is unusual/unique, and even though they are susceptible to damage to varying extents, you've gotta think more plastic ones are likely to have survived in acceptable shape than cardboard ones.

You've gotta think there must be quite a lot more Final Fantasy VIIs (ignoring variant concerns, for this purpose) or Xs out there in collectible condition than cardboard Pokemons or Super Mario Worlds, right?

Edited by AdamW
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, AdamW said:

As someone who's fairly new here I do wonder whether mass-produced "plastic games" can reasonably hold valuations as high as mass-produced "cardboard games", when the containers are in general sturdier, and more susceptible to replacement if broken. You can swap out a jewel case or a DVD-style case - either entirely, or just parts, like the disc tray - quite easily, unless it's a special one with a logo imprinted on it or some kind of specific multi-disc arrangement; you can't swap out a cardboard box except with another entire cardboard box of the same game...even if the case is unusual/unique, and even though they are susceptible to damage to varying extents, you've gotta think more plastic ones are likely to have survived in acceptable shape than cardboard ones.

You've gotta think there must be quite a lot more Final Fantasy VIIs (ignoring variant concerns, for this purpose) or Xs out there in collectible condition than cardboard Pokemons or Super Mario Worlds, right?

I agree 100%

Oh, they're certainly collectible, I'm just a bit sceptical they can really carry five digit valuations, for a while at least. Or that CIB copies can carry 3-4 digit values. You'd think that, given roughly equal production quantities, there'd have to be a sturdiness discount. But who knows!

• Like 1

1. Atari collectors looking at people spending huge money on Nintendo tapes and not caring about their rare Atari mail order games anymore:
  2. Nintendo collectors looking at people spending huge money on Gamecube and PS3 games and not caring about their black box games and Little Samsons anymore:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:
  1. Atari collectors looking at people spending huge money on Nintendo tapes and not caring about their rare Atari mail order games anymore:
  2. Nintendo collectors looking at people spending huge money on Gamecube and PS3 games and not caring about their black box games and Little Samsons anymore:

How do I make it go faster :V

1 hour ago, AdamW said:

Well there are already CIB PS1 games pushing 1k, some GC games are not that far behind. I wouldn't doubt that sealed high grade copies will break 5 figures in the near future (some might already be there).