IGNORED

Survey Regarding the Potential of a New Video Game Grader in the Market

40 minutes ago, VideoGameGradersLLC said:

At this risk of going to the well too often another ask for your opinions. Working on a custom font for the labels. Any you love? Hate? After 466 (and counting) submissions too many look the same to me at this point. 

1541EF8F-0FF7-44B6-95C4-711A279337D3.jpeg

A7D9BB41-B31D-4549-82FC-CEC2B4F782FF.jpeg

BE8E7E9D-A801-401D-80B8-BA22446DDBA6.jpeg

79ECB660-4578-4D91-852A-E50B2DB7285E.jpeg

1C0CCC9B-DE92-4A49-9B01-12CC0453F587.jpeg

71B57D7C-15AE-49F4-BE8A-52F456FB5739.jpeg

I would recommend having a designer choose the best font for each part of the label. Eg, you might need a different font style for smaller labels vs the larger font for the game name itself. Probably most important is readability and not being too cheesy (eg avoid comic sans, felt, papyrus, impact, etc).

You’ll probably notice on wata and vga, they use plain, readable fonts with the exception of their logo, which is that pixel font.

Also definitely not a good idea to use different fonts per customer, even if they ask for it. It would detract from your branding. One thing that’s nice about the example label you posted earlier was that it was clean and didn’t shout too loud (unlike a certain IGS label lol).

• Agree 1

What font to use? Honestly I don’t think that’s going to matter much. Asking the VGS crowd will give you a whole bunch of answers which ultimately will get you back to square one ie. in the end you have to decide anyway, or hire a designer that chooses for you.

Good luck with the launch!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Events Helper · Posted
16 minutes ago, Shmup said:

Bump. Anyone know what happened with this guy? Still stuck looking for fonts? Would have been a great opportunity to get more exposure of an alternative to WATA right now.

they are active, have a website, there is a thread from @NesQuest about him wanting to try them out for their labor day sale!?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I joined their mailing list a long time ago, cause why not?  Anyway, I just got my first email and apparently they are now accepting Game Boy games.  Curious, anyone been brave enough to submit?  Their gallery has about 30 games.  All with low grades (for a gallery on their front page.)

1307605073_ScreenShot2022-01-06at4_32_48PM.png.7f4bce61d76ba1ddc6e1fbd12492de5c.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@RH     I'm (imho) 99.95% sure @VideoGameGradersLLC don't give a rats ass as to what they are doing to the graded game market.  they are just looking to get the big score like wata did.  and i'm sure they have no clue how to know what version of the box is right for the cart without having the data like @RpgCollectoror my cart data, or iirc @Splainis the holder of the paper inserts data, for what should be the correct box to cart to inserts. i seem to recall someone here had an open-box db at the time they opened but it's not public data and i don't remember who it was.

hell even the gb book i supported was missing leading on data and variants. so when a company much less a startup say the will grade a gb game i'd run away until they prove on their own that they have the end-all data.

so just like wata (the worst offender of spreading bullshit on the field and growing crap) i wont support until a few have proven to me that they care about the real outcome of what they are grading, and not chasing the money and damaging what they have in their hands for grading. or even prove that they are not changing the games/boxes out for lower quality items to make their own or a higher paying client a better graded item.  like this don't happen.  imho there is too much proof that is happening.   

i'm a firm believer that a few can't know it all and a community must police the bull shit that a "grader" puts out as "collection law".   

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, JVOSS said:

so your in it to only improve and not for the money.  prove it!!!!

Not sure how I’d do that, especially to satisfy most in this group but I never said only. It’s a business, businesses need to make money (and aren’t all evil for doing so). Besides, both can absolutely be true. 

• Eyeroll 1