IGNORED

Survey Regarding the Potential of a New Video Game Grader in the Market

@JVOSS I won’t win with you that’s fine. But you’re making my point. We are simply staying the facts about what is printed on material (cart, box, manual) before encapsulating it. That will never change, the code on the cart and placement of Made In Japan won’t change. Specifically because we stop there, we don’t claim it was 1st or 7th we simply put the facts and the label and provide a pregrading photo to support that detail. A new discovery by you or anybody doesn’t change that so what is there to reevaluate. You are again confusing hardcore collectors with the other 95% of the hobby who just wants a highly graded game and can determine for themselves because we have disclosed the commonly used information to determine early late or mid print. 

• Like 1

My opinion doesn't count for much since I will likely never be a customer of yours, but I'm going to give it anyway because the whole point of this thread is to get community input.

You claim that you're looking for community input and trying to improve your business model, but when people offer real advice you scoff at it and get defensive. In my opinion, that's because the thing you REALLY need to do, which is shitloads of research and documentation, is too hard. I'm sure it's very expensive to hire actual experts who can provide this knowledge, but I'm sorry, you need help. If you said "Our staff includes JVOSS, a GB collector with 30 years' experience and 3000 GB games, including all known variants, he literally wrote the book on GB manuals" I'm sure people would be a lot more confident than the "trust us, we're wicked smaht" approach.

Nobody knows who you or any of your staff (if there are any) are. I haven't read the entire thread, but I've followed most of it, and I can't recall any post you made going over any credentials or qualifying characteristics of you or anyone who works for your company. Maybe I missed it, you should definitely post that stuff here, and on your website. Your About us page has no pictures, no names, and no background. As a matter of fact, it says absolutely nothing about your team having ever owned a video game before.

I don't know the first thing about GB or NES variants, but if you're grading CIB games, you need to. There are things which aren't sequential numbers which you need to know in order to be able to say for certain whether it's a true match. There are also inserts which could be missing. There are countless minute facts, and I'm not trying to say that you need to know them all, and nobody else here is, but what we're saying is that you need to at least be VERY knowledgeable and, more importantly I think, SHOW that knowledge to your customers. This is the whole point of grading games, the expected expertise of the guy who's telling you your item is properly CIB or that it's the best condition item in existence.

Without expertise, you're just a guy who contracted with a factory in China to make acrylic cases. The value that a grading company adds is entirely in their knowledge, so you really should be working on that instead of adding new product lines before you're ready.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, VideoGameGradersLLC said:

We are simply staying the facts about what is printed on material (cart, box, manual) before encapsulating it. That will never change, the code on the cart and placement of Made In Japan won’t change.

I mean, as long as you are reading every page of every manual, every word of every box, and noticing every possible visual difference in the design. There are random variants noticed all the time, like hp differences in the screenshots of DW boxes. It's not just about box codes.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Link said:

What is your target market with this?

The collectors/hobbyist/investors who don’t know, understand or care about a font change on page 8 of a manual or a typo on a subscription card insert that was found once. In other words 95% of the market. Most of whom are more than satisfied with game codes for box, cart, manual and key common variants such as the Game Pak Game Boy label, printed in Japan moving, manufacturers changing on labels.  

• Haha 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Just now, VideoGameGradersLLC said:

investors

FTFY

Fair enough, I wish companies just were up front about that. As a collector who doesnt actually care about minute details like that, I would still want to know if I was “investing” in graded? Games. 

Honestly might have more of a market if you ditch the whole grading thing and just say you’re gonna seal things in the slabs for people with small amounts of information on it. If you turn them around fast you could probably steal some business from wata. 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, MrWunderful said:

Honestly might have more of a market if you ditch the whole grading thing and just say you’re gonna seal things in the slabs for people with small amounts of information on it. If you turn them around fast you could probably steal some business from wata. 

yep they would get a huge chunk of the game... but... they only want to cater to the investor that doesn't care. 

hell i could even go for slabbing some of mine the air is just killing some of my carts. humm maybe i'll have to look into that. 

9 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Per our FAQs we are able to offer this option on request and may become a more prevalent part of the main offering eventually. Our turnaround on graded is very fast right now. 

And I am reminded why I gave Collector Archive Services a chance last year. With reasons why I am leaning towards me using them again this year as well. With the biggest reason being tied to how @JVOSS was treated. Which is also why I have this topic blocked, seeing how it goes against what Peter Thiel would have advised.

The point I am making is that a good business owner knows that they can always replace a product, but they cannot replace a potential buyer. Which is why they offer transparency, offer a timetable to when they can address any questions given to them, and never use who they are as an excuse to be passive-aggressive at any point of time.

With the additional issue being that JVOSS represents the portion of the market that Wata has worked hard to appease long before those services were offered. With their sudden growth in terms of popularity putting everything tied to this business in question. While using their controversies as a means of being the "reliable" copycat alternative.

And the biggest insult here? That is the "anti-grading" claim. That by itself holds no merit, puts all past business ventures into question, and adds to my list of reasons why I will not do business with this grading company. I mean CAS needs a video game advisors at this point, especially when it comes to their "Q" sub-graded submissions.

In the end I don't collect CIB just because of my reasons. But if I did, I know that the smart move is to ask others here for help when it comes to putting together a CIB game together before it was shipped to a grading company. Even if they do not offer details beyond why it was graded. Simply because I am that serious when it comes to being a collector.

And seeing how your past business dealings, with no insight on how those turned out during your tenures with them, are red flags for me... I'll politely point out that if you are going to include a free service, you need to know that those come with risks. And that the means of turning those risks into profits is to not make your mistakes here.

[Example: How you responded to a serious collector like JVOSS, who has more knowledge that you do.]

Cheers. And not the episodes where Sam's ownership was always put into question. 🍻

• Agree 1

Yay, @VideoGameGradersLLC is back in town! 🥳

Actually, I really like this dude. He's clearly taken a lot of the previous criticism of his product to heart and adapted to and changed things based on the recommendation of the community.

He also managed to actually come to market with an actual finished product, which many of us doubted would ever see the light of day, so he gets massive props for that too!

Of course the value and overall quality of said product and service will remain a matter of debate, as it is with ANY ongoing product open for public consumption.

But, in my opinion just by being here and talking with us and putting up with the hate, VGG is already a DAMN sight better than the shady suits at WATA who wouldn't even waste their spit on us if they passed us here down in the gutter on the street.

So, don't let us grind you down @VideoGameGradersLLC, keep on trucking! 😉

• Like 4
  • Haha 1