IGNORED

Survey Regarding the Potential of a New Video Game Grader in the Market

33 minutes ago, epiczail said:

You casually asking people in this thread for ideas is a really shitty look, and immediately turns people off without ever using your service. Just my two cents...

Been asking for feedback from the beginning and nobody's been shy.  Seems reasonable to ask people hammering away at how shitty it looks for suggestions on what would be less shitty.  But I should have known better, this group not exactly known for the construction part of constructive criticism.  

It's all good, I knew what I was getting into - especially when opening the discussion back up and I do appreciate the feedback was simply hoping rather than just telling me how much it sucks I'd get suggestions about how to improve it.  Have gotten a few.  And if there are professional designers willing to offer their services I'm happy to pay them for those professional services.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, VideoGameGradersLLC said:

Been asking for feedback from the beginning and nobody's been shy.  Seems reasonable to ask people hammering away at how shitty it looks for suggestions on what would be less shitty.  But I should have known better, this group not exactly known for the construction part of constructive criticism.  

It's all good, I knew what I was getting into - especially when opening the discussion back up and I do appreciate the feedback was simply hoping rather than just telling me how much it sucks I'd get suggestions about how to improve it.  Have gotten a few.  And if there are professional designers willing to offer their services I'm happy to pay them for those professional services.  

It’s a fine line between offering advice and consulting. If someone is building a business, I’m personally uncomfortable providing design critique beyond a few key points, especially if it’s someone I don’t know.

That said, I’m personally eager to have more competitors who can give a great service in a beautiful slab.

I think you’re on the right track, and if could find a professional designer who can capture an aesthetic you’re seeking for the label, that’d be a much faster / more efficient approach than people on a forum 🙂

As a tip, an industrial product designer could help you with the case shape given some key requirements on shape, security, and aesthetics.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I really hope that ultimately the OP's company becomes successful and ends up being THE grading company for video games, as I'd love to see the downfall of WATA.

WATA promised a lot, acting as if they were doing it for us, since they were part of the community, but ultimately they just went down the road of greed. At least the OP here is clear about his intentions, and isn't trying to massacre a community that he's actively part of.

5 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

I really hope that ultimately the OP's company becomes successful and ends up being THE grading company for video games, as I'd love to see the downfall of WATA.

That’s the kind of comments I’m here for! Thanks we hope so too. We are working on improved labels as a next step toward world domination. 

• Like 2

My honest advice, don't quit your day job and don't give the illusion of being too precise.  A 100 point scale with .5 increments is too much.  You can't even get boxing judges to agree on a 1-10 scale of scoring a fight and that should be as simple as counting knockdowns and number of punches landed and thrown, right?  Should literally be simple math right?

Yet here you expect multiple graders (I hope you have multiple eyes on every grade, otherwise your system will have inherent bias of the only grader) to grade games the same based on .5 increments on 200 total points, meaning literally 400 different grade possibilities?

I'm a math guy and a graded game guy.  Yet grading is not mathematically precise as you've made it seem, there is a good amount of art / skill in just handling a ton of games and having a feel for how nice game is.  The experience is far greater than a checklist scale.

Also, if a company becomes successful, the amount of time spent grading is the huge bottleneck. Being efficient there is where you make your money.  If it takes you forever go methodically go down a check list line by line then you've already set yourself up for the same bottleneck problem you are advertising that you can beat (turnaround times).  Unless of course no one subs stuff to you anyway, then sure you'll hit those turnarounds when you barely have any work to do.

Edited by jonebone
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, fcgamer said:

If you do become THE grading company for games, everyone who graded previously with wata (and before that with VGA) will pay you have their games graded yet a third time 😄

True story. Right now despite our confidence we just don’t want to have figure out what to do with thousands of unused cases. 

1 hour ago, VideoGameGradersLLC said:

At the risk of once again awakening the angry villagers. Label heading in the right direction? Ignore the 1/2pts and actual grades, working draft still. 

8DF0AE35-6FB7-42BC-AF12-2865E30440DF.jpeg

That's about 100 times better than the first one, yeah!

It would still look better with like, boobs on it, or whatever, but yeah it's a MASSIVE improvement! 🙂

• Like 3

1 hour ago, VideoGameGradersLLC said:

At the risk of once again awakening the angry villagers. Label heading in the right direction? Ignore the 1/2pts and actual grades, working draft still. 

8DF0AE35-6FB7-42BC-AF12-2865E30440DF.jpeg

Sooooo much better. Has a nice look to it and doesn’t look like a 10 year old made it for their IT Word class. I like the colours and how it is all laid out. 

I think people were critical but in a good way and now it seems like you’re on the right track 🙂

• Like 2

Kudos to you for putting up with everyone's BS and seeing the feedback for what it is. I think the new label looks much better, and agree with the consensus that the old one was an absolute joke and that this is an important factor in the value of the service you're offering.

I still think your biggest barrier will be credibility though...Joe Schmo the video game grader can have the best cases, labels, and most transparent grading system in the world, but if nobody knows anything about his experience/background it's going to be hard for them to trust his opinion about the quality of their games. Or more importantly (for a lot of people, especially sealed collectors) for future buyers to take their graded game seriously.

I know this has been brought up before so clearly you're aware of this, but I'm not sure you've come up with a (public) strategy for that problem. You don't have to share that of course and don't have to solve the problem at all...I'm sure someone will still get a game graded by unknown guy because they hate WATA, don't want to wait, want to save some money, etc. but it will limit your growth significantly if you don't have some public information about the grader(s) and their background(s).

Also, as others have said, you claim that one of the advantages of your company will be quicker turnaround times, but that's a difficult thing to promise when you don't know what the volume will look like. What if you get 1,000 requests in a day, are you going to turn away business, or how do you plan on getting through that with your one or two graders? It sounds like a good problem to have...until you turn into WATA with most of their grading options shut down and a 30 page thread complaining about how long they take.

• Like 1

Saw your new website @VideoGameGradersLLC. It's looking pretty good now. The label is also a massive step up!

I think if there's room left for improvement, it's 1) with the case design, 2) proving authority/experience in your marketing pitch, and 3) some slight graphic design improvements (this last point is a huge nit pick, overall it's really well done!).

For real, best of luck and I hope it works out! 🙏

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, inasuma said:

Saw your new website @VideoGameGradersLLC. It's looking pretty good now. The label is also a massive step up!

I think if there's room left for improvement, it's 1) with the case design, 2) proving authority/experience in your marketing pitch, and 3) some slight graphic design improvements (this last point is a huge nit pick, overall it's really well done!).

For real, best of luck and I hope it works out! 🙏

Appreciate the kind words and additional feedback.  

• Like 1