IGNORED

Found a 5 screw R.C. Pro AM

Found this cart on eBay after reading a post questioning the know population of this variant. Figured why not start a never ending quest down a very deep rabbit hole. Began scrolling through every single listing on eBay like a normal psychopath. About 45 minutes into this vain attempt to find a obscure variant..my hunt was over. Took almost 2 years to find a stupid Tecmo NBA Basketball n7 variant so this was a pleasant relief.  
 I’ve confirmed with the owners of the other two know copies and this one matches. Can’t find my tool at the moment but will upload board pics soon. 

9DBDE486-4026-4FF3-86CB-49FAC55FE089.jpeg

BC48669B-FAE8-4903-8782-BB1BD667AF8C.jpeg

8A3060AC-2409-4F67-9E89-DBF22915729C.jpeg

BAE6B5EB-9D56-4150-AED5-2307D2BC5D4F.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow! 3

12 minutes ago, austin532 said:

Either it was a repair job or the factory had some old 5 screw shell stock laying around and used it. Could also be a fake as well.

One of the copies had been verified by Wata. All three that I’ve seen have the same seal of quality, rev a back and security screws. Not really sure how or why 

2 hours ago, Funky_brewsta said:

One of the copies had been verified by Wata. All three that I’ve seen have the same seal of quality, rev a back and security screws. Not really sure how or why 

If they have security screws (and I mean the ones you can't open with a small flathead, because the original Nintendo Game Pak screws were "technically" security screws as well) then that confirms that these 5 screw Pro-AM carts are one-offs and not standard releases.  Reason being, Nintendo switched over to the 3 screw cartridge design long before they ran out of their original flathead screws, resulting in the first-prints of all NES games printed in the first few months of 1988 having the 3 screw cart design held together with original flathead screws.  That being said, it is possible, though highly unlikely, that someone could have swapped out the screws on any or all of these games...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

Can anyone else find this in the sold listings on eBay? I check but it doesn't show up there. I also have a script that pulls every single sold NES game and puts them into a database and it's not there neither.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/R-C-PRO-AM-32-TRACKS-OF-RACING-THRILLS-NINTENDO-GAME/124254449336?hash=item1cee246eb8:g:1acAAOSwufRfB7QN#vi__app-cvip-panel

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Funky_brewsta said:

@Code Monkey try” r.c. Nintendo 32” in the sold listings.  Sold 2/18/21

Thanks, I wonder why that worked and "pro am" didn't.

The most interesting part of this listing is that he didn't list it as R.C. Pro-Am, he just listed it in the video game category without selecting an associated game name. That's why my script didn't pick it up and why I'm thinking a lot of people with similar scripts missed it. His loss, your gain.

• Like 1

There's a major problem here, something's wrong with this. The date code on the chips is 2067 which would mean this chip was made in the 67th week of 2020. That isn't possible for 2 different reasons so I checked online to find out that Ricoh made this chip and that you can still buy them today:

https://www.jotrin.com/product/parts/RP23256E

Am I wrong about this? Here's a similar chip made in the 1st week of 1990 and 49th week of 1989.

IMG_20201208_113442.jpg

Edited by Code Monkey

13 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

There's a major problem here, something's wrong with this. The date code on the chips is 2067 which would mean this chip was made in the 67th week of 2020. That isn't possible for 2 different reasons so I checked online to find out that Ricoh made this chip and that you can still buy them today:

https://www.jotrin.com/product/parts/RP23256E

Am I wrong about this? Here's a similar chip made in the 1st week of 1990 and 49th week of 1989.

IMG_20201208_113442.jpg

Not ever company uses the year-week format like that.  Sometimes its a single digit for a year, a letter for the month and I think another number for a day.  A-Jan, B-Feb, etc.  Even that isn't standard though.  There was a good website that had a bunch of them to help date chips that use that format.

3 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

Not ever company uses the year-week format like that.  Sometimes its a single digit for a year, a letter for the month and I think another number for a day.  A-Jan, B-Feb, etc.  Even that isn't standard though.  There was a good website that had a bunch of them to help date chips that use that format.

Interesting to know, I thought there was a standard.

• Like 1