IGNORED

The 2021 Backlog Challenge

Reed Rothchild

In my experience, Hollow Knight was super appealing to me right off the bat. It was when I was (probably) 15 hours into it, and most of the map had been mapped out, the game started losing it appeal of mystery and exploration, and became a little boring to me.

• Like 1

Better late than never, but I finally started a game on my backlog list.  I got my new Super Nt hooked up and I started Super Mario RPG.  I rented this game back when it first came out, but I was not really familiar with RPGs at that time and I wasn't sure what to make of the game.  I only played it that little bit during a single rental and I haven't played it since.  Tonight I got to the first star and decided to take a break.  I'm enjoying it so far although I don't feel the graphical look to it has aged all that well.  Luckily as a big fan of the Paper Mario games, I was more than ready for the special button timing for attacks and defense, so that's been pretty easy to get used to.  I have a feeling that I will enjoy the game.  

Any idea how many hours I should be expecting for a first time play through?  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Any idea how many hours I should be expecting for a first time play through?  

Great game I've beaten in countless times now.  hltb says 17 and a half but I could see it taking more on your first playthru or if you spend time doing a lot of the side stuff
https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=9383

Edited by fox
  • Like 1

The Switch hates me. Playing Doom 64 on it and saved on map 8 or 9. Went to load it up this morning and it's frozen. Reload it... Same thing and then crashes when I try to exit out. Had to start from scratch. Good thing about Doom though is it's pretty quick and dirty when you know where to go. 

Really liking this game so far. Fun, fast, and just enough exploring so far without becoming cumbersome. Feels like Doom 🙂 Brightness adjustment from what I remember being overly dark on 64 is nice too. Looking forward to getting through the rest of it. 

Just now, DoctorEncore said:

What did you think? The game looks cool, but all the crashes and a lack of quick save put me off. I'm waiting for $30 or less and a save patch. 🤞

Graphics, atmosphere, dual sense controls, slick gunplay, and the headtrip story are all amazing.  You don't actually lose everything when you die, you keep all story related keys and equipment, ether, and gun upgrades.  There are a number of shortcuts that unlock, so you don't have to redo everything (though re-doing some stuff helps you power up.)

Didn't have any crashes, but I did lose a run due to a power blink.  Everything else was so fun, that didn't even deter me and I got back into it.  Quick save would be nice, but then people would just save-scum their way through.  You just have to play the game on its terms, which is a big ask, but if you can get beyond that I would highly recommend it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, fox said:

Graphics, atmosphere, dual sense controls, slick gunplay, and the headtrip story are all amazing.  You don't actually lose everything when you die, you keep all story related keys and equipment, ether, and gun upgrades.  There are a number of shortcuts that unlock, so you don't have to redo everything (though re-doing some stuff helps you power up.)

Didn't have any crashes, but I did lose a run due to a power blink.  Everything else was so fun, that didn't even deter me and I got back into it.  Quick save would be nice, but then people would just save-scum their way through.  You just have to play the game on its terms, which is a big ask, but if you can get beyond that I would highly recommend it.

Sounds awesome.

In terms of quick save, I just mean a temporary save state that is erased when reloading. Kind of like Binding of Isaac or Hades so you can't actually abuse it. By the time I'm home from work, eat dinner, do the dishes, and get the kids in bed, I'm lucky to have an hour of time to game. It would be exceedingly hard for me to finish a full run in a single session. And I've had HORRIBLE luck with rest mode on PS5. If there was a quick resume type function like on Xbox, of probably have paid the full $70, but in its current state I'm planning to buy when it hits $30.

16 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

erased when reloading

Which people would just back-up on usb or the cloud and reload again and again in order to keep a good build going.  Maybe if they had let you do a limited mid-run save at the rejuvenation machine for a $hit ton of ether that would have been a good compromise.  🤷‍♀️

I actually wonder if PS5 was suppose get a cross-game quick resume feature like you said in a firmware update, because right now we have a "switcher" feature but it doesn't work like you think it would.  Feels kind of like this game was developed with something like that in mind.  So I did have to block out time to play, it is not something I could just play a few mins of here and there.  But also the whole restarting from the beginning isn't as annoying or daunting as it originally appears.

Edited by fox

Events Team · Posted
6 minutes ago, Foochie776 said:

I’ve been playing Marble Madness the past couple days and I’m having a real tough time getting past this exact spot. Does anyone have any advice or tips?

like I realize what I am suppose to do but I’m having a very tough time getting the timing 

77AEFEDE-9422-4092-8A9E-D032895F5D6B.png

Press the A button (B maybe?) to speed up and just roll over the gap onto the next platform.

Do not try to use the pistons to throw you over.

Edited by JamesRobot

Well, I finally did it. After more than a year, I beat Hollow Knight. I have to admit, @Shmuphad some valid points and the back half of the game is great. I stand by my criticisms of the early game and pacing, but it does eventually become very, very good. A quick review.

+ Content: The amount of quality content in this game is staggering considering how cheap it is. If you're a completionist, you should get a solid 30-50 hours out of this with 75% of it being high quality. Team Cherry has clearly poured their hearts and souls into this project.

Du2Yje6.jpg

+ Sound Design: Fantastic music, sound effects, and every other thing related to sound. Play with headphones or a really good sound system and you'll see what I mean. This stuff absolutely established the atmosphere and sucked me into the world.

+ Boss Fights: Standard combat in the game gets a bit rote, but bosses are generally great. The true final fight went from me dying in seconds on the first try to finally beating it with nary a scratch on my 50th (100th?) try. The fights are tough, but fair and a lot of fun. Unfortunately, the respawn points are often 10-30 seconds away from the boss battle which gets old fast if you're struggling.

atbviJp.jpg

- Backtracking: The game is horrible about checkpointing and fast travel. You have to recover your soul/geo by fighting back to your spirit and defeating it in combat every time you die so there is a very punitive aspect here. The fight against your spirit isn't tough, but if you're far from a bench, there is a serious possibility you will die on the way back which can be rage-inducing given how difficult it is to accumulate Geo early on. This is partially fixed once you get the teleport ability with the Dream Nail and acquire some rancid eggs, but wasted time remains the biggest negative for me and is probably the reason most people don't make it to the end. This game needs about twice as many checkpoints and fast travel stations and an integrated map. This is not an issue of difficulty, but one of respecting the players' time.

- Pacing/Early Game: The game gives little direction early on which is helpful for establishing atmosphere, but detrimental to fun. Cool movement and combat abilities are hidden too far into the game (partially dependent on how you proceed) and can be difficult to find even if you're in the right area. Slow movement, weak combat, poor direction, and the overly punitive nature of deaths mean many players will drop out before the game gets good.

Overall, 7/10 for me. Very good game with a very bad start. If Silksong makes the intro hours more accessible and traveling the world less grueling, it could be one of my all-time favorites.

SOzs44U.jpg

SBlWX09.jpg

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

Well, I finally did it. After more than a year, I beat Hollow Knight. I have to admit, @Shmuphad some valid points and the back half of the game is great. I stand by my criticisms of the early game and pacing, but it does eventually become very, very good. A quick review.

+ Content: The amount of quality content in this game is staggering considering how cheap it is. If you're a completionist, you should get a solid 30-50 hours out of this with 75% of it being high quality. Team Cherry has clearly poured their hearts and souls into this project.

Du2Yje6.jpg

+ Sound Design: Fantastic music, sound effects, and every other thing related to sound. Play with headphones or a really good sound system and you'll see what I mean. This stuff absolutely established the atmosphere and sucked me into the world.

+ Boss Fights: Standard combat in the game gets a bit rote, but bosses are generally great. The true final fight went from me dying in seconds on the first try to finally beating it with nary a scratch on my 50th (100th?) try. The fights are tough, but fair and a lot of fun. Unfortunately, the respawn points are often 10-30 seconds away from the boss battle which gets old fast if you're struggling.

atbviJp.jpg

- Backtracking: The game is horrible about checkpointing and fast travel. You have to recover your soul/geo by fighting back to your spirit and defeating it in combat every time you die so there is a very punitive aspect here. The fight against your spirit isn't tough, but if you're far from a bench, there is a serious possibility you will die on the way back which can be rage-inducing given how difficult it is to accumulate Geo early on. This is partially fixed once you get the teleport ability with the Dream Nail and acquire some rancid eggs, but wasted time remains the biggest negative for me and is probably the reason most people don't make it to the end. This game needs about twice as many checkpoints and fast travel stations and an integrated map. This is not an issue of difficulty, but one of respecting the players' time.

- Pacing/Early Game: The game gives little direction early on which is helpful for establishing atmosphere, but detrimental to fun. Cool movement and combat abilities are hidden too far into the game (partially dependent on how you proceed) and can be difficult to find even if you're in the right area. Slow movement, weak combat, poor direction, and the overly punitive nature of deaths mean many players will drop out before the game gets good.

Overall, 7/10 for me. Very good game with a very bad start. If Silksong makes the intro hours more accessible and traveling the world less grueling, it could be one of my all-time favorites.

SOzs44U.jpg

SBlWX09.jpg

Nice review and I’m glad you stuck with it 🙂

• Like 2

Beat Doom 64. Had fun but over did it a little bit today and was getting worn out on the longer and more laborious stages. Map 13 was my crutch because I died and then got impatient which resulted in more deaths. Playing ultra passive bit me in the ass a few times. 13 is the map with with the arrow room where the blue key is located. 

Overall fun game. Didn't get any of the secret levels. Last boss was kinda dumb because you can just hide behind the switch and he can't really hurt you. He absolutely destroyed me the first few times though when you're out in the open. You get fucked. 

Might go back on a harder difficulty and play with a guide to get the secret levels. I think I know where one maybe two are but no clue otherwise and some of those maps are huge. All doomed out for the moment. Might go back to Mega Man now or crack Jurassic Park soon. 

• Like 3

Two games in one week? YUP.

Finished off The Last of Us Remastered. To be totally honest, I didn't enjoy it (I swear I'm not trying to be contrarian). A few thoughts:

1. I think the game is very overrated.
  2. The first 15 minutes and last 15 minutes were my favorite parts.
  3. The core gameplay loop is mediocre and not fun.
  4. Production values are awesome. Graphics, sound, and voice acting are stellar.
  5. I'm surprised people rave about the story because it's pretty generic. You see almost every single zombie/post-apocalyptic cliche play out over the course of the game (I won't list them to avoid spoilers, but iykyk). Even if I had played it in 2013 instead of 2021, I'm pretty sure I would have said the same thing. The writing is generally good and I liked Joel and Ellie.
  6. Loved the ending. They found the only interesting way to write themselves out of the corner they were trapped in.
  7. If Last of Us 2 gameplay is similarly boring, I'll just blaze through it on easy mode.

image.png.13cf67d4f1e69054119c91f894fd1c8f.png

Up next, I've got Psychonauts (prepping for the sequel) and Nier: Replicant. I'm excited for both!

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DoctorEncore said:

Two games in one week? YUP.

Finished off The Last of Us Remastered. To be totally honest, I didn't enjoy it (I swear I'm not trying to be contrarian). A few thoughts:

1. I think the game is very overrated.
  2. The first 15 minutes and last 15 minutes were my favorite parts.
  3. The core gameplay loop is mediocre and not fun.
  4. Production values are awesome. Graphics, sound, and voice acting are stellar.
  5. I'm surprised people rave about the story because it's pretty generic. You see almost every single zombie/post-apocalyptic cliche play out over the course of the game (I won't list them to avoid spoilers, but iykyk). Even if I had played it in 2013 instead of 2021, I'm pretty sure I would have said the same thing. The writing is generally good and I liked Joel and Ellie.
  6. Loved the ending. They found the only interesting way to write themselves out of the corner they were trapped in.
  7. If Last of Us 2 gameplay is similarly boring, I'll just blaze through it on easy mode.

image.png.13cf67d4f1e69054119c91f894fd1c8f.png

Up next, I've got Psychonauts (prepping for the sequel) and Nier: Replicant. I'm excited for both!

I agree on all accounts. People raved about how innovative it was...it just stole every zombie/apocalypse cliche. I saw the ending come from a mile away.

I haven’t played 2 and don’t really plan to. I read the story and it doesn’t sound like something I want to waste my time with.

1 hour ago, Shmup said:

I agree on all accounts. People raved about how innovative it was...it just stole every zombie/apocalypse cliche. I saw the ending come from a mile away.

I haven’t played 2 and don’t really plan to. I read the story and it doesn’t sound like something I want to waste my time with.

I have to admit that I did enjoy the ending since

Spoiler

it's the only time in the entire game where things get gray. Prior to that moment, it's very clear who is good and who is bad and you just mercilessly slaughter everyone you encounter. At least the ending adds some nuance, even though the thought experiment of sacrificing one for the good of the many has been done to death.

I also like that it adds in the complicating factor of the savior being a minor. Have the rules of medical & legal consent changed in this new world? Can Ellie actually make that decision or does it need to be made for her by adults? If so, which adults?

They could have gone with a much tidier ending that made everyone happy, so I'm glad they at least put some thought into it. I think most of the middle story stuff (i.e. 95% of the game) is generic filler material, but it started strong and ended strong.