IGNORED

The 2021 Backlog Challenge

Reed Rothchild

2 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

One month till the status update where I call out people who are sucking at this (cough @BortLicensePlate @ChickenTendas @Richardhead cough)

I’ve been progressing well on a few but why the hell did I choose sooooo many RPGs? Lesson learnt for next year, chuck in some Indies and shorter games.

Editorials Team · Posted
17 minutes ago, Shmup said:

I’ve been progressing well on a few but why the hell did I choose sooooo many RPGs? Lesson learnt for next year, chuck in some Indies and shorter games.

Tell me about it.  I wanted to start Persona Q2 after finishing SMT3, but that timeline is starting to be in serious jeopardy.  And I haven't started Planescape either...

On 7/30/2021 at 7:53 PM, Shmup said:

I pretty much always alternate between big and small games and it makes a world of difference. Only problem is that even indie games are starting be 10+ hours. There's just not enough time in life!

Star Fox Zero completed!

1700342253_StarFoxZeroWin.png.3e31fe25dba6a3e3e9934ea8ce1e73cf.png

Edit: I've changed my mind. This game rocks.

I was a bit hasty in my previous write up after beating the game, as it turns out I was still just bad at it. I can't stress enough how huge the learning curve is to this game, but once it finally all clicks, Star Fox Zero becomes an incredible action game, and easily stands tall alongside Star Fox (SNES) and Star Fox 64.

Once you start aiming for the score attack medals, you will naturally get better at the game. The game expects you to play aggressively and skillfully, and you'll find yourself pulling off stunts you didn't think possible before as you go for the gold.

Star Fox Zero is a game with an ENORMOUS skill ceiling, but once you figure it all out, it becomes an incredibly fun game to play. I'm working toward collecting all of the Gold Medals, but I take no shame in using a guide to find where the cryptic ones are. Those kind of things are put in games strictly to sell strategy guides, so I'll just look them up on the internet instead.

Edited by AmandaCathedral
  • Like 3

Even though I've already beaten Star Fox Zero, I've been making an effort toward getting 100% (All Medals).

Medals.png.5bc9a0de2ea8e0c4073c8ca10beae94e.png

I'm well over half way there, with 46/70 medals. The score attack medals are the only ones that really mean anything, with all the others being for really arbitrary things that don't add any value. Most of the other medals make you do incredibly cryptic things that no human would ever discover on their own, making 100% somewhat of an unrewarding experience as the only actual way to find them is to buy a guide, or look it up online. You actually do get a pretty cool reward for doing it, and seeing as how I'm so far along already, I might as well keep going.

Or to phrase it another way, "THAT REWARD'S AS GOOD AS MINE!" 🐷

Sorry for the triple post, but nobody has posted in three days, so I don't want to wait any longer.

I completed Star Fox Zero 100%, which means earning all 70 gold medals, and clearing Arcade Mode to unlock the Sound Test. Training missions don't give you anything, and are optional high score chasers.

1765428757_StarFoxZero100Complete.png.492737f24d0e591a9d2dc439aa81ef26.png

I can now happily say that Star Fox Zero was awesome, but it takes a LOT of practice before you can handle the controls. I found it worked best to play on the Game Pad only, and swap view points manually with the (-) button when needed.

I previously said that the extra medals don't add much, but I just hadn't played any of the good ones yet. There are a lot of really cool challenges that the medal requirements add, and they never felt unfair. They were good challenges that you'll mess up, but then get fairly quickly.

Arcade mode was thrilling too, as you only get one life to beat the whole main story. It's 1CC or bust, and thankfully I cleared it first try. You do have the option to take breaks between stages, which is nice. I did it all in one go though.

This game is incredible once you get used to it, and you should give it a whirl if you're a Star Fox or Wii U fan. Once you understand the controls, this turns into an absolute thrill ride while aiming for 100%. Well worth the effort, and if this really is the last Star Fox game, I'd say they went out on a high note.

I'll probably work on Mario 3D World and Kirby Rainbow Curse next. 🙂

Trimming down description
  • Like 4

On 8/5/2021 at 9:01 PM, monkeybut625 said:

Finally beat Nier: Automata. That was a slog for me, but I did enjoy the soundtrack and the shmup parts of the game. Now it's on to either Shadow of Colossus or MGS: Peace Walker.

I'm working on Replicant right now and enjoying the combat, but the story is pretty much nonexistent and there are nonstop fetch quests. I'm hoping to play Automata at some point.

Editorials Team · Posted

Taking a break from SMT3 to get through Undertale, which is supposed to be super short. 

And then if I can finish those by the end of the month, that gives me 4 months to tag team Persona Q2 and Planescape (and finish my remaining smaller games).  Which according to HLTB might be 100+ hours.  So it might be tight

I am finally playing something! I started on Donkey Kong Country. No idea why I haven’t played this series until now, I grew up with DK64 and that game has a lot of nostalgia for me, so DKC having the same characters and music it feels very familiar. The music is fantastic. Got a couple levels passed the mine cart stage in the second world. Digging it so far 👍

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 1

Administrator · Posted
2 hours ago, BortLicensePlate said:

I am finally playing something! I started on Donkey Kong Country. No idea why I haven’t played this series until now, I grew up with DK64 and that game has a lot of nostalgia for me, so DKC having the same characters and music it feels very familiar. The music is fantastic. Got a couple levels passed the mine cart stage in the second world. Digging it so far 👍

Boy, wait til you get to DKC2! 

• Love 1

@Gloves and @Californication yes looking forward to DKC 2 and Tropical Freeze. I’ve played DKC returns on 3DS I remember liking it a lot but it was pretty hard.

@Sumez when I made my backlog I just did games I own, and I do not own that one. But I hear DKC3 is quite hard so I would like to try it out at some point 🙂

I had to update my list slightly, as I sold my copies of New Super Mario Bros. U and Mighty No. 9. (They weren't very good games) I've replaced them with Metroid Other M, and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze.

As for the other games on my list, I'm making good progress in Mario 3D World, Sonic Lost World, and Kirby and the Rainbow World Curse. All of them have been great fun, and have made the Wii U a worthwhile purchase.

I'm in world 5 of Mario, world 3 of Sonic, (all red coins and S ranks) and world 2 of Kirby.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sumez said:

Can you just change your list? Fine, I'll remove all the games I didn't finish in December 😄 

I asked and got the okay to do so. 🙂 Like I said, I no longer even own two of the games that were on the list, and to be fair I replaced them both with much longer games. 😆

Editorials Team · Posted

I set the guidelines, but I'm not gonna be an absolute stickler about it: this is all for fun and for pursuing our own feelings of accomplishment. 

I personally won't edit my list, and advise you all do the same, but God knows enough people have changed their's by this point 😅

• Like 1