IGNORED

Movie Debate #43: The Goonies

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Rating explanations down below

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time. Top 10.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • You haven't seen the movie, but you're interested in watching it.
    • No interest in watching it.

There are two types of people who've seen this movie--those that saw it in the 80's and those that didn't (ok, we can say through mid-90's).

It's been my observation, consistently, if you saw this as a kid there's a high chance you love it and it's one of the greatest kid films of all time.

But, if you saw it when you were older then at best it gets is a "meh".

IMHO, the trifecta of live action 80s kids films is this, Prince Bride and The Never Ending Story.

Edited by RH
  • Like 5

Gave this one a 10.  I've seen this so many times throughout the years, its one of those movies that I've practically memorized.  I've even watched it with the director and cast commentary several times. 

I do understand that perspective of "had to be there" for this one.  Some things are just better when you are a kid.  I showed it to my oldest son last year when he turned 10, and he loved it.  He especially liked Sloth.  He ran around quoting "Hey you guys!" for a while, completely oblivious to its pop culture origin. 

• Like 3

Events Team · Posted

10.  It's a Corey movie.

Seriously though, Goonies is damn near a perfect all ages movie.  High adventure, mild swearing throughout, romance, comedy, drama, action, great cast of protagonists/antagonists, pirate booty!  Steven Spielberg and Richard Donner (and Corey) at the pinnacle of movie making.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, RH said:

There are two types of people who've seen this movie--those that saw it in the 80's and those that didn't (ok, we can say through mid-90's).

It's been my observation, consistently, if you saw this as a kid there's a high chance you love it and it's one of the greatest kid films of all time.

IMHO, the trifecta of live action 80s kids films is this, Prince Bride and The Never Ending Story.

Add Willow and The Last Starfighter 😛

• Like 1

Goonies is a solid 10.

It is the ultimate kid's adventure movie that maintains some semblance of realism. (other "similar feeling" movies tend to lean heavy into fantasy or sci-fi which loses something compared to what Goonies offers, where as kids running around on our own adventures it felt like it could really happen)

Edited by arch_8ngel
  • Like 3

I was torn between 9 & 10.  Gave it the benefit of the doubt.  I wouldn’t say it’s a top 10 movie for me but it’s not super far back.  Whenever it comes across my browsing its one of those movies I have a strong urge to put it on.  I love the atmosphere and the stupid kid humor and it’s just fun to watch.  

• Like 3

Honestly, I'd have to watch it again to give a proper rating.  Not the case as a little kid, but now whenever I think of this movie it always occurs to me that "Lost boys" is somehow the teenage equivalent of this one.  Quite a ways back I was randomly watching an episode of "Conan" and he was 'guiding a tour' of the new sound stage that the show was recording on and there was this 'gold' plaque on the wall listing the movies of note that had been shot there; it was a bunch of famous movies held in high regard like "Strangers on a train" and at the bottom of the pile was "Goonies."  He was just like "I think they could've left that one off."  lol.  Just searched for it on YT but nothing turned up..

23 hours ago, RH said:

Absolutely agree though I land somewhere in the middle. I saw this movie first time maybe in the late 90s so it maybe 10+ years old already and I was in my mid to late teens. So I didn't absolutely love it and think it's a classic but I did enjoy it. Still enjoy it today and I'd slightly nostalgic but not one of my favorites. 8/10

• Like 1

Well, I've watched Goonies again for the first time since I was a kid.  Pretty sure this was also the 1st time I've done that while drinking a beer.  I gave it a 9 just cuz I know there's this weird contingency of people out there who were not children in the 80's and consequently will never be able to fully appreciate this cult wonder.  Little kid PII, however rates it roughly at a Bazillion!  I dug out my old VHS copy that was taped from television including all of the commercials.  The highlight was a commercial for tarter-control toothpaste specifically aimed at 40 year old divorcees looking to date again...lol

Edited by PII
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1