IGNORED

What are your favorite first person shooter games?

Strange

I know, I know. This genre gets a bad rep these days amongst the enlightened gamers. I was in high school during the Xbox 360/MW2 lobby glory days. I got burnt out on first person shooters awhile ago and took a hiatus from the genre, but my friends wanted me to play the current iteration of Modern Warfare with them and wow, it really hooked me.

Been on kind of a binge of the genre lately as a result. The Switch has a good representation of the classics with Duke Nukem 3D and various Doom games (still waiting on Wolfenstein 3D), and I recently picked up the Borderlands collection for Switch since the physical is on sale at various retailers and the gun/loadout customization is my favorite part of Modern Warfare. I had the first Borderlands when it came out but didn’t finish it, looking to fix that now. I also haven’t played any of the Bioshock games, which I know is a travesty so I’m looking to get those on Switch soon too.

I hear the latest Wolfenstein and its sequel are really good too.

What are your favorites?

Edited by The Strangest
  • Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Too many to name

Doom - What do I even need to say?
Wolfenstein 3D - Mein leben!
Half Life - Thank this game for steam?  For Counter Strike?  For the Portals?  For every modern game dev that honed their skills modding here? For every shooter made in the last 20 years?  Speaking of...
Counter-Strike - Nailing your buddy with a stray long range headshot might be the most satisfying moment in gaming history
Call of Duty Modern Warfare - Obviously the franchise has been run into the ground with annual sequels since, but it cannot be said enough how intense this game was upon release
Call of Duty - The original for PC.  Took the formula from Medal of Honor Allied Assault, and cranked it to eleven.
Bioshock - World.  Building.
Half Life 2 - World.  Building.
Wolfenstein II: TNC - Red Dawn with Nazis and

Spoiler

kicking old man Hitler to death

Honorable mentions: Bad Company 2, Goldeneye, Crysis, Dishonored
Quasi-shooters?: Metroid Prime, Fallout 3
Still need to play through/finish: System Shock 2, Deus Ex (all of them), Wolfenstein: TNO, Alien Isolation, 

• Like 2

Events Team · Posted
8 minutes ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

I like classic Doom. I played a ton of GE and GE Wii (onilne). Right now I am digging Apex Legends when there are a few friends around.. playing solo is a nightmare.

Yeah, Apex Legends with friends is always a really fun time, one of the only battle royale games I've ever enjoyed, although I haven't played it in over a year by this point.

• Like 1

Bioshock

Dead Space 2

Killzone 2

Doom 2016

Final Doom

Republic Commando

Wolfenstein: A Return to Castle Wolfenstein

(Own but haven't played Metroid Prime Trilogy, Deus Ex (PS4), Bulletstorm, Singularity, Battlefield 2, Fallout 3, Far Cry Series, Vanquish (not sure if it counts).

Events Team · Posted

Can't really beat the DOOM series and Wolfenstein is pretty much the same with a different setting.

XIII gets runner up for me.  Love the cel shading and the espionage narrative. 

Just found out it's getting a remake next month!  Switch version release in 2021.

FPS is really not a go to for me and I only recently started warming up to some of the newer ones.  

Duke Nukem: Time to Kill - Classic.  Just the right amount of raunchy for teenage me.  The soundtrack to this album for me is ReLoad.  Go figure.

Goldeneye - Duh.

Counterstrike / Day of Defeat - Any sort of computer classes in high school consisted of everyone rushing to finish the day’s assignment as quickly as possible so we could play counterstrike together on the LAN.  Played a lot of these in the early days of college too.  

Battlefield 1 - I got really into this for a while.  Was disappointed that 5 was crap.

• Like 1

Goldeneye

Doom

Quake

Duke Nukem

Return to Castle Wolfenstein

Call of Duty 4

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault

Halo 2

After the 360 I haven’t played many shooters. A little bit of Black Ops1 and Reach, but they didn’t grab me like the earlier games did. 

Edited by themisfit138

Eh mine are dated, but mostly timeless dated at least.

Doom 1/2, Wolfenstein 3D, Heretic, Hexen, Duke Nukem 3D (also Duke Nukem Advance,)  Quake, Turok, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark.  Also the original Medal of Honor and Call of Duty games put into WW2, not when it turned into crap since.  And then there's the old Dark Forces.  Serious Sam 1 and 2 also are a lot of fun too I've returned to.  Little modern has wow'd me, though CoD World at War and just the first Dead Space are excellent too, as were the Wolfenstein The New Order/Old Blood games.

On 10/30/2020 at 11:31 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

Call of Duty Modern Warfare - Obviously the franchise has been run into the ground with annual sequels since, but it cannot be said enough how intense this game was upon release

I’ve said it a lot on this forum but the 2019 Modern Warfare reboot is phenomenal. I’ve never played a game where the guns felt so good.

They recently ran a beta for the next Call of Duty that was running on Treyarch’s engine and not the current one from Infinity Ward, and it felt like Goldeneye in comparison (that’s not a comment on Goldeneye’s quality, it’s a comment on how far the industry has evolved since). It’s hard for me to go back to other current gen FPS games.

Doom - my first and still one of my favorites
Final Doom - more of the same, but still lots of fun
Dark Forces - Possibly my favorite of all time - the first Doom clone that stood on it's own
Duke Nukem 3D - expanding on the formula even more - playing in "realistic" city areas was mind blowing for me
Medal of Honor: Frontline- one of my first console FPS's and still one of my favorites - amazing soundtrack
Medal of Honor: Rising Sun - never understood the hate for this game, almost as good as Frontline
Call of Duty: Finest Hour - expanded on what made MOH great

There are lots of other FPS games that I've played and enjoyed, but the list above is by far the best in my experience.  

Doom
Unreal Tournament ‘99 / 2004
Half-Life 1 / 2
Quake
Goldeneye
Deus Ex

Battlefield 2, FEAR, and Crysis too

Unreal 2 XMP was also the bomb, but hard to get a group willing to play an Unreal 2 mod. It was ported to 2k4 but I never tried that one. For single player you can’t beat good Doom WADs. For multiplayer just give me Quake.

• Like 1

I've always been a fan of shooters ever since first playing Doom back in early '94. That game left a deep impression on me and is probably still my #1 favorite shooter today. I'll blast through Knee Deep in the Dead at least once every couple of months. It manages to be such a solid, satisfying game, even today.

Other than Doom and Doom II, my other favorites are the Build Engine games (Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior and Blood). Blood, in particular, rivals Doom for me as possibly the best shooter ever made. It is just pure FPS bliss.

I think Quake and Half-Life were pretty good but I never got quite as attached to them as the aforementioned titles.

I must have played through Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight about a dozen times. Great game.

And every shooter player needs to play Serious Sam at least once.

Maybe not really "shooters" in the dedicated sense but one of my favorite game series of all time is Thief. I've not played the remake but Thief, Thief II and Thief 3 are all masterful experiences.

The Bioshock series was okay but really only got by because of its unique atmosphere and story. The shooting itself was pretty mediocre. Bioshock 2 actually had much better game play than the first.

If you like those old-school shooters, definitely play Doom (2016), Doom Eternal, Dusk and Amid Evil. All are wonderful.