IGNORED

The ideal length of time for a video game is...?

The ideal length of time for a video game is...?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. I'm guessing most of us at some time, or perhaps many times, put in a LOT of time into a specific game because we loved it! Spend time finding all the secrets, exploring all the nooks and crannies... but in general I find that I don't have the patience I once did. Or, maybe I just haven't found the latest game to excite me? Regardless, I was recently speaking with a friend who also is rather "tired" of huge epic games that last "forever" and said that 15-20 hour games are her thing now. So that made me wonder, what is the ideal length for a "typical" game? Of course I realize there's no one correct answer, but very generally speaking what is the length of time for a game where you personally feel you can really get into the game, and everything still seems fresh and exciting by the time it ends?

• 1-2 hours - I only play short games! -- a few rounds of Tetris, or the original SMB, etc.
    • 2-4 hours - Not super short, but definitely short. -- think indie games such as To the Moon, or classic games such as Kid Icarus (NES), etc.
    • 5-10 hours - Put in a good day's work to get this game done! -- SMB3 (on the short end), Undertale, Bastion, etc.
    • 10-15 hours - This is starting to be a real commitment -- Mario 64, Link's Awakening, Resident Evil 2 (2019), Bioshock, etc.
    • 15-20 hours - Not playing around here (good pun eh), you need dedication! -- The Last of Us, Salt & Sanctuary, Tomb Raider (2013), etc.
    • 20-30 hours -- Not going to finish this in a weekend... well, probably not. -- Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Odyssey, Ocarina of Time, etc.
    • 30-50 hours -- We're getting into days of time here! -- Hollow Knight, Borderlands 2, Horizon Zero Dawn, etc. (lots of RPGs)
    • 50-80 hours -- Epic or die -- Xenoblade, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Dark Souls, many a AAA-title especially RPGs
    • 100+ hours -- I like to live my games! -- Persona 5, Witcher 3, Zelda Breath of Rain, Skyrim, etc.

This poll is closed to new votes

How long should a game last? There's no one answer of course, I know it all depends on the "fun factor", but I'm trying to gauge what might be the "ideal" time... Even fun games become dull if they last too long, so what length of time do you think might just be right for you? Also, I'm NOT assuming you're being a completionist, but nor are you rushing to finish the game quickly. You certainly might stop to smell the roses, do side-quests, etc. Also, I am thinking single-player here, since of course online games with friends can last many many hours...

Edited by avatar!

Atari - 15 minutes, tops. Maybe 20 for Pitfall.

NES/SNES/Genesis - 30 minutes to an hour for most platfomers, shooters, or anything with continuous action. Adventure games can be longer with a password/battery save, as those games have natural lulls that you can exit and get back into later.

PC/5th+ gen RPGs and such - several hours or longer, as you can save and return to them. If it's topping 100+ hours, it better be a phenomenal game.

Game Boy - ideally 5-30 minutes, but some games can go longer if you're on a family trip or something.

Edited by Tulpa

to play a game through to completion, 10-15 hours is my sweet spot. to 100% it should be much longer than that, for those that really enjoyed it and want to experience it all.

obviously not all games are created equal in this regard. SMB 1 =/= Final Fantasy 15 (or whatever number they're on)

I disagree about Super Mario Bros 3, it's definitely a 2 - 4 hour job, and that's if you collect everything and explore the rooms fully. 😛

That said, I generally prefer between 2 - 4 hours. I just don't have the time to sit playing like I used to. After a couple of hours, I've relaxed, and then can move onto something more productive.

I think the examples for each voting option prove that there are great games regardless of length. For me, arcade/platformers are 5-10, action/cinematic are 20-25, and RPGs I like 35-40. If they are that great, I'd rather play a 40 hour game twice than an 80 hour game once. 

When you're already familiar with the games:

beat 'em up/platformer - 30-60 min. (ex/ Final Fight, Double Dragon, Ninja Gaiden 1-3)

action/adventure - 2-10 hrs. (ex. Resident Evil, Uncharted, Metroid)

rpg/open world - 10-40 hrs. (Final Fantasy, BoTW)

Rough guidelines but typically I'd lose interest in a beat 'em up/NES platformer if they're near an hour or longer (Mega Man games are a good limit for platformers) and an RPG that is longer than 40-50 hrs is typically filled with fluff or is simply just to much time to dedicate to a game for completion.

Edited by Andy_Bogomil

I like topping out at 20...though I will play specific games longer if I am really enjoying them.  I rushed through the first Red Dead Redemption just for the story, as I enjoyed that part of it.  But I tend not to go after the side quests, as my backlog of games is big enough that I just want to "beat" the story and move on.

I think the answer is dependent on which genres, and the level of fun and replayability. 

My personal preference:

1. Games meant to be completed in one sitting (platformers, arcade shooters/fighting): 30 to 90 mins

2. Games meant to be completed over the course of multiple saves (eg. Castlevania, God of War): 5-15 hours.

3. RPG games: any amount of hours as long as it’s fun and the story is a worthwhile one. I guess similar situation to a film series, with the length being a secondary issue, just as long as the primary objective is an engrossing plot and engaging characters.

———————

The above response would be me if I was younger and had more spare time. The last RPG game I completed was Zelda Wind Waker, and now I’m steering well clear of any RPGs due to time constraints. 

Unless it’s like a 10/10 sprawling, varied, fun to explore Breath of the Wild type thing, 3 hours.

This goes double for narrative-based games. Extremely epic movies aren’t 25 hours long. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy extended edition played twice back to back isn’t 25 hours long. But TLOU2 thinks all of its 25 hours were necessary to tell its story.

Games are too long. They usually start too easy and have too much repetitive filler between the really good parts. I cannot imagine a 15 hour long game that wouldn’t be better if the worst half of it was cut out. But games are expensive and need to deliver that sweet busywork “value”.

I put 15-20, but that's more of a middle ground.  Genre depending I'd be happy with something that's under 10 or upwards of 40.  At that high point (40)I'd never finish it in 99.9% of the cases and it would be a waste, and under that low point (under 7 hrs) I can't think of much that's worth any of the current asking price.

I don't buy a lot, but I have quite a few things and it's hard to get to them, so getting into something that drags out better be earth shattering fun to me or it'll just stop being played in time, hell it happens even to the good, so less IS more.

Editorials Team · Posted
5 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Unless it’s like a 10/10 sprawling, varied, fun to explore Breath of the Wild type thing, 3 hours.

This goes double for narrative-based games. Extremely epic movies aren’t 25 hours long. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy extended edition played twice back to back isn’t 25 hours long. But TLOU2 thinks all of its 25 hours were necessary to tell its story.

Games are too long. They usually start too easy and have too much repetitive filler between the really good parts. I cannot imagine a 15 hour long game that wouldn’t be better if the worst half of it was cut out. But games are expensive and need to deliver that sweet busywork “value”.

Counterpoint:

TV shows and books are that long.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Counterpoint:

TV shows and books are that long.

Recently, TV shows have been getting much shorter.  It's pretty much standard now for a TV show season to be 10 episodes when it used to be double that if not more.  There are exceptions of course, but most are getting shorter (and I'm ok with that).  

Editorials Team · Posted
34 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Recently, TV shows have been getting much shorter.  It's pretty much standard now for a TV show season to be 10 episodes when it used to be double that if not more.  There are exceptions of course, but most are getting shorter (and I'm ok with that).  

So that begs the question: is a video game  equivalent to a whole series, a single season, or something in between?

7 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

I thought only SP did that whole 10 episode thing.  I thought not too long ago it was a standard ~26 episodes a season, 13 for a half season if the show doesn't catch on.

FUN FACT: Notice how at the midway point in season 1 of 24 where Jack's wife/daughter are rescued and you see the helicopter look like it's kinda sorta heading off into the sunset?  That was done on purpose just in case 24 didn't catch on and had to end it after only half a season, so at least it could end somewhat properly.  I don't know if any other shows did that...

7 hours ago, Estil said:

I thought only SP did that whole 10 episode thing.  I thought not too long ago it was a standard ~26 episodes a season, 13 for a half season if the show doesn't catch on.

FUN FACT: Notice how at the midway point in season 1 of 24 where Jack's wife/daughter are rescued and you see the helicopter look like it's kinda sorta heading off into the sunset?  That was done on purpose just in case 24 didn't catch on and had to end it after only half a season, so at least it could end somewhat properly.  I don't know if any other shows did that...

When I said that I was ok with TV show seasons getting shorter, 24 was one of the series I specifically had in mind.  I absolutely loved the concept of 24, but the seasons ended up being too long and ultimately, most seasons had stuff tacked on in order to get to 24 episodes.  The last few full seasons were pretty bad about that.  I enjoyed the length of the last 12 episode season with Kiefer Sutherland.  I never got around to watching the 12 episode reboot.  

I think 10-15 is a good middle ground. Even then some story games feel too long.

Let’s take Ghost of Tsushima for instance. By the middle of Act 2. I had already done every different type of mission there was to do. With at least an Act and a half left, and I was already 30 hours in. So, I called it quits. Because I knew there was another 10 or so hours of mainline story. That was not interesting enough for me to finish.    

As I get older I am enjoying the Mario games a lot more. Where I can play a level/star or two a day and be good. Those rereleases of SNES RPGs with save states make it alot easier for me to play nowadays.  Then I can play in hour chunks instead of having to grind a later level dungeon in one sitting.