IGNORED

2019 NFL Season

BeaglePuss

Moderator · Posted
21 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

49ers D probably not going to allow that 

Quite frankly, 49ers D has looked pretty below average the last month of the season, allowing big games to the Falcons and Rams and an absolute monster game to the Saints. 

49 minutes ago, doner24 said:

Quite frankly, 49ers D has looked pretty below average the last month of the season, allowing big games to the Falcons and Rams and an absolute monster game to the Saints. 

Fair point but had a week off and a bunch of key players are returning against MIN if I’m not mistaken

4 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Vikings fans' confidence back in spades after a good showing.  We'll see.  I'll take the Niners 

Not this guy.  Classic Vikings.  Now everyone is "Cousins is great" "Zimmer is a winner". They get the fans hopes up and will completely lay an egg the next game.  49ers 31 - Vikings 10

Divisional picks boys:

SF - a week off and key returns on D give the Niners the edge in another close game to finally give all Niners fans a heart attack

Sea - The Clowney resurgence continues and DK ain’t done

KC - Sorry Houston welcome to Mahomesville

BAL - The Lamar Jackson show continues in Baltimore

Playoff record so far: 1-4

Edited by a3quit4s

2 minutes ago, B.A. said:

Not this guy.  Classic Vikings.  Now everyone is "Cousins is great" "Zimmer is a winner". They get the fans hopes up and will completely lay an egg the next game.  49ers 31 - Vikings 10

That can't continue to happen every year for all time. Even the Cubs have won in my lifetime. 

The Bengals should have fired Marvin Lewis years earlier and promoted Zimmer when they had the chance. I'd like to see him do well, but I'm mainly hoping for a good game.

1 hour ago, doner24 said:

And our D is the same, I mean we made Drew Brees look really uncomfortable back there yesterday and have done that with a lot of QB’s this year. 

You don't beat the 49ers by stopping the pass though, you have to stop the run first.  Entirely different defensive scheme will be needed for the 9ers. 

4 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

The Bengals should have fired Marvin Lewis years earlier and promoted Zimmer when they had the chance. I'd like to see him do well, but I'm mainly hoping for a good game.

That's not how the Vikings roll, they don't lose well fought close games, where you have to tip your hat that the better team won. They find new and inventive methods to fail spectacularly in self inflicted ways.  

0-4 in the Super Bowl, with the last appearance being WAY back in 1977. 

Since that last Super Bowl loss, they have a 5 game losing streak going in the NFC championship games with some real stinkers in there, the last 4:

1998 NFC Championship: A heavily favored Vikings team loses to the Atlanta Falcons 30-27 at home.  This is the year the Vikings had broken the record for the highest scoring offence of all time yet Denny Green decided to take a knee and run out the clock to play for overtime. Gary Anderson hadn't missed a single field goal all year yet missed his last chance in this game to put it away.  

2000 NFC Championship: They put on a hell of a show here.  Giants 41 - Vikings 0

2009 NFC Championship:  They get themselves in field goal range for the win at the end of regulation.  Get a stupid penalty for 12 men on the field backing them up out of range.  Brett Farve has no one within 20 yards of him yet throws across is body for a season ending interception. Saints 31 - Vikings 28  

2017 NFC Championship: Vikings fans riding high off of Stefon Diggs and the "Minneapolis Miracle", which happened the game before taking out the Saints.  The Vikings playing for a chance to become the first team ever to play in the Super Bowl at their own stadium.  The only problem was they forgot they still need to show up for the game between the divisional round and the Super Bowl.  Eagles 38 - Vikings 7.  

Since the NFL went to their current playoff format in 2002 there have been two teams to ever start a season 6-0 yet miss the playoffs.  Think the Vikings are one of those 2??  You know it! 

2003 Vikings

2009 Broncos

What about 5-0 starts, there have only been 3 of those teams to miss the playoffs.  Vikings couldn't be on that list too right?? Wrong!

2016 Vikings

2015 Falcons

2009 Giants

And just for good measure, what is widely regarded as the worst trade in pro sports history, the 1989 Herschel Walker trade.  Vikings gave the Cowboys 5 players,  3 1st round picks, 3 2nd round picks, a 3rd round pick and a 6th round pick.  The Vikings got back 2 3rd round picks, a 6th round pick, a 10th round pick and Walker.  Those picks were a large contribution to the Cowboys dominance in the 90s.  

YUCK!!! I need a shower after all of that.  🤮

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

That's not how the Vikings roll, they don't lose well fought close games, where you have to tip your hat that the better team won. They find new and inventive methods to fail spectacularly in self inflicted ways.  

0-4 in the Super Bowl, with the last appearance being WAY back in 1977. 

Since that last Super Bowl loss, they have a 5 game losing streak going in the NFC championship games with some real stinkers in there, the last 4:

1998 NFC Championship: A heavily favored Vikings team loses to the Atlanta Falcons 30-27 at home.  This is the year the Vikings had broken the record for the highest scoring offence of all time yet Denny Green decided to take a knee and run out the clock to play for overtime. Gary Anderson hadn't missed a single field goal all year yet missed his last chance in this game to put it away.  

2000 NFC Championship: They put on a hell of a show here.  Giants 41 - Vikings 0

2009 NFC Championship:  They get themselves in field goal range for the win at the end of regulation.  Get a stupid penalty for 12 men on the field backing them up out of range.  Brett Farve has no one within 20 yards of him yet throws across is body for a season ending interception. Saints 31 - Vikings 28  

2017 NFC Championship: Vikings fans riding high off of Stefon Diggs and the "Minneapolis Miracle", which happened the game before taking out the Saints.  The Vikings playing for a chance to become the first team ever to play in the Super Bowl at their own stadium.  The only problem was they forgot they still need to show up for the game between the divisional round and the Super Bowl.  Eagles 38 - Vikings 7.  

Since the NFL went to their current playoff format in 2002 there have been two teams to ever start a season 6-0 yet miss the playoffs.  Think the Vikings are one of those 2??  You know it! 

2003 Vikings

2009 Broncos

What about 5-0 starts, there have only been 3 of those teams to miss the playoffs.  Vikings couldn't be on that list too right?? Wrong!

2016 Vikings

2015 Falcons

2009 Giants

And just for good measure, what is widely regarded as the worst trade in pro sports history, the 1989 Herschel Walker trade.  Vikings gave the Cowboys 5 players,  3 1st round picks, 3 2nd round picks, a 3rd round pick and a 6th round pick.  The Vikings got back 2 3rd round picks, a 6th round pick, a 10th round pick and Walker.  Those picks were a large contribution to the Cowboys dominance in the 90s.  

YUCK!!! I need a shower after all of that.  🤮

I cannot give you enough likes for this history lesson in purple sadness. 

41 minutes ago, B.A. said:

They aren't the only team to experience heart breaking losses though.  Take the 90s Bills with 4 straight SB losses.  Or the Browns who just are horrible, then rebrand themselves as the Ravens and win 2 Superbowls.  Maybe 3 after this year.  While the "new" Browns are just like the Browns of old.

Most recent comparable to what you posted are the Eagles though.  They lost 3 straight Conference Championship games under Reid, then finally made it to the big one where TO even came back from a broken leg just to play in the game and lost that one too.  Lost one more Conference Championship for good measure too.

Then Chip Kelly comes in and takes the NFL by storm with his new offense... they impress all season to go 1 and done in the playoffs.

But finally they get over the hump and beat the Patriots of all teams in a Super Bowl.  One of the only black eyes Brady has ever had to take with the other one being the 18-1 season. 

So there's hope.  Unfortunately I don't think this is your year but there's always a chance.  As general football fan the only year I really thought you guys had it was the Favre year.  That seemed like a storybook season for him to ride off into the sunset but he wasn't right after he hurt his ankle late in the season (or first round of the playoffs?)  

4 minutes ago, jonebone said:

They aren't the only team to experience heart breaking losses though.  Take the 90s Bills with 4 straight SB losses.  Or the Browns who just are horrible, then rebrand themselves as the Ravens and win 2 Superbowls.  Maybe 3 after this year.  While the "new" Browns are just like the Browns of old.

Most recent comparable to what you posted are the Eagles though.  They lost 3 straight Conference Championship games under Reid, then finally made it to the big one where TO even came back from a broken leg just to play in the game and lost that one too.  Lost one more Conference Championship for good measure too.

Then Chip Kelly comes in and takes the NFL by storm with his new offense... they impress all season to go 1 and done in the playoffs.

But finally they get over the hump and beat the Patriots of all teams in a Super Bowl.  One of the only black eyes Brady has ever had to take with the other one being the 18-1 season. 

So there's hope.  Unfortunately I don't think this is your year but there's always a chance.  As general football fan the only year I really thought you guys had it was the Favre year.  That seemed like a storybook season for him to ride off into the sunset but he wasn't right after he hurt his ankle late in the season (or first round of the playoffs?)  

What mainly got me on the path was the idea of a "good game".  Their loses aren't that.  They either blow it themselves or don't show up.  

1998 was their year, 15-1, Randy Moss was the unstoppable rookie.  The Farve year he hurt his ankle in that NFC championship game.  That is when the Saints had bounties set up to injure the other team.  

I agree there are plenty of other NFL teams with sad stories.  I will put up the Minneapolis market as having it the worst when it comes to the major 4 sports teams against any market though, but that's a whole other conversation.  

4 minutes ago, B.A. said:

What mainly got me on the path was the idea of a "good game".  Their loses aren't that.  They either blow it themselves or don't show up.  

1998 was their year, 15-1, Randy Moss was the unstoppable rookie.  The Farve year he hurt his ankle in that NFC championship game.  That is when the Saints had bounties set up to injure the other team.  

I agree there are plenty of other NFL teams with sad stories.  I will put up the Minneapolis market as having it the worst when it comes to the major 4 sports teams against any market though, but that's a whole other conversation.  

Cleveland would have had you beat until Lebron got them a ring.  Even so, it looks like your Twins had some WS rings in the Hrbek / Puckett days.  I don't follow NHL that sport doesn't matter to me at all 🙂

Moderator · Posted
1 hour ago, jonebone said:

You don't beat the 49ers by stopping the pass though, you have to stop the run first.  Entirely different defensive scheme will be needed for the 9ers. 

I’m not worried about that, I’m more worried about Kittle than anything. Our run D is stout, as long as Kendricks and Barr stay healthy. They went out against the Packers the last game and it fell apart. Having Barr on Kittle at some point in the passing game scares the hell out of me though. 

1 minute ago, jonebone said:

Cleveland would have had you beat until Lebron got them a ring.  Even so, it looks like your Twins had some WS rings in the Hrbek / Puckett days.  I don't follow NHL that sport doesn't matter to me at all 🙂

The Vikings and Twins started in 1961, The Wolves in 1989 and MN North Stars 1967-1993 (a team the owner moved and didn't even give us the courtesy of keeping the name) and MN Wild in 2000.  So that's like 190 pro seasons between those teams, with 2 championships.  .0105%  

We can even back it up to making it to the finals, not winning it.  Twins did it 3 times, Vikings 4, North Stars/Wild 2, Wolves 0.  That's 9 championship appearances in 190 tries.  That is pathetic! 

Anyway, way off topic but that is why I just expect the worst now and I'm never let down.