IGNORED

Breath of the wild 2 - I’m calling it (2020 thread bump) / Nintendo Direct 2/17

phart010

I’m calling the release date for Breath of the Wild 2.

Zelda originally debuted in Japan on February 21, 1986. Nintendo has been celebrating 5 year anniversaries of this franchise since the 25th anniversary. Since they’ve been doing this for at least ten years, no doubt they’ve been thinking about how they will celebrate the 35th anniversary for some time now. 

We’ve already heard the announcement that BOTW 2 was moving along significantly in the development cycle months ago. The game is likely being built off of the same engine as BOTW 1, so it shouldn’t take the same amount of time as a brand new game to develop. I think they will plan to release it on the 35th Zelda anniversary on February 21, 2021.

As a bonus prediction, (although less likely) I think it’s a possibility that it will launch simultaneously with a new Nintendo console. Kinda like how Twilight Princess was both a GameCube and Wii release. Also how Breath of the Wild was both a Wii U and a Switch release.

edit: adding link to Nintendo direct

https://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/02-17-2021/

• Like 1

I’m still waiting to hear what Nintendo will release this holiday season.  Are they really going to rest on their laurels, while PS5 and Xbox take all the sales?

Feb seems like a weird time to launch a game IDK.

I do agree it will be a Switch Pro title.  If Nintendo are going for a mid-gen hardware refresh, they need a killer app like Zelda.

It isn’t going to be called BotW2 it will have its own unique title.  Zelda: Curse of the Bone Knights of Under-rule or something.

• Like 1

If history is any indication, this game will be delayed. Especially with the state of the world right now, I'm calling a 2022 release at the earliest for BOTW 2. Any proposed Switch Pro or whatever is just gonna be a mid-gen refresh also, no way they're cutting off the bloodflow to the Switch as a platform while it's still selling like gangbusters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OptOut said:

If history is any indication, this game will be delayed. Especially with the state of the world right now, I'm calling a 2022 release at the earliest for BOTW 2. Any proposed Switch Pro or whatever is just gonna be a mid-gen refresh also, no way they're cutting off the bloodflow to the Switch as a platform while it's still selling like gangbusters.

I'm more in this camp.  In fact, maybe they will do a Loz All-Stars release (or equivalent) with Legend of Zelda, Link to the Past, maaaaaybe Link's Awakening (man, that'd be a killer unlockable) OoT and Possibly Majora's Mask.  Maybe they will do a Zelda Ages compliation and have all of the 2D games and then many of the earlier 3D games on two different releases?  Both of those will be cool!  I could see them, possibly, doing that for the Anniversary.

Regarding BOTW2, I just think they are at best quite delayed due to COVID.  Also, I just see that being a major blockbuster release they would want to release during a holiday season.  So, if they do anything, I think they may announce it on the anniversary and give a minor teaser... maybe.  Something high on the graphics and low on the gameplay because a lot may change between now and Christmas season 2021, which might be a realistic time frame more than 2022.

• Like 2

I'm with you as so far as the game release, they'll play up something, even if they kind of halfassed it a decade ago for the 25th with the Skyward Sword pack-in music CD with the game.  Would they put out the Switch Pro, 2, whatever?  No.

Would they do a special edition standard if not standard and lite?  YES.  They call it a console because the WiiU pos died so hard they need to have a console on the market, but let's face it, it's more of a handheld.  And with a handheld mentality they love to refresh, rebrand, and recolor their stuff.

• Like 1

Aonuma says “you’ll have to wait for any details”. 

I can’t see Nintendo doing a major title release of their #2 flagship with nothing to say <6 months out. Usually the first trailer is at least a year out, isn’t it?

I’d look for stuff more like special merchandise, rerelease, or

9 hours ago, RH said:

Something high on the graphics and low on the gameplay

such as Hyrule Warriors (edit: ok that’s supposed to come out in November)

Edited by Link
  • Like 2

Events Team · Posted
19 minutes ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

BoTW2 with switch pro bundle probably holiday 2021. Skyward sword HD for full price. TP HD and WW HD combo for full price within the next 18 months. 

This would be my guess as well more or less.

Edited by ZeldaFreak
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
Events Team · Posted
26 minutes ago, phart010 said:

Zelda Japanese anniversary is Sunday and there is a Nintendo direct tomorrow (Wednesday). I wonder if they are going to mention Breath of the wild 2

I do hope they at least mention it. Even something as simple as "We know fans are anxiously awaiting more information on the sequel to Breath of the Wild. While we still cannot share anything specific, we'd like to assure you all that development for the game is progressing smoothly." would be nice to hear. Another trailer would obviously be absolutely amazing, but even just saying "We're still working on it" would be enough for me.

If we don't hear anything more about it in that direct, I'm sure we'll probably hear about it around the Zelda Anniversary, either a new trailer or just another confirmation that they're working on it.

If we do get a new trailer or more info about it any time soon, my guess would be a holiday 2021 release date, or possibly early 2022.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, phart010 said:

Zelda Japanese anniversary is Sunday and there is a Nintendo direct tomorrow (Wednesday). I wonder if they are going to mention Breath of the wild 2

I think you nailed it. I don't think they'll discuss Switch Pro at this event, but I do think it is coming this year. Maybe an announcement in Summer.

This is gonna be awesome.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 2

It wouldn't surprise me if they started it, then decided to shift gears to get the Switch Pro/Next Console prepped while putting BotW2 on hold. At this point, I assume it will be a flagship launch title on the new hardware. I'll be surprised if it's not.

With that said, don't expect to hear about it again until they announce their next console. I think the two will be revealed together. That could be tomorrow or Sunday, but I doubt it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

If we do get a new trailer or more info about it any time soon, my guess would be a holiday 2021 release date, or possibly early 2022.

This is my guess. Ideally for the anniversary, we'll get a "Zelda All-Stars" type collection and a quick update on the progress of BotW2 but *at best* I'll call that it gets a "Winter 2021/Spring 2022" release window.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Webhead123 said:

This is my guess. Ideally for the anniversary, we'll get a "Zelda All-Stars" type collection and a quick update on the progress of BotW2 but *at best* I'll call that it gets a "Winter 2021/Spring 2022" release window.

On the 25th and 30th anniversary they gave a free download of Four Swords Anniversary edition on 3DS. I missed it both times, I hope they give us one last chance to download that

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Breath of the wild 2 - I’m calling it (2020 thread bump)
Events Team · Posted
2 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

+1 Zelda all stars. Damn Nintendo for reselling me the same games over and over and damn me for buying them every time. 

edit: orrrrr a remaster of A Link to the Past!!!!!

A remaster of Link to the Past would definitely be pretty cool, although I'm hoping for an eventual Link's Awakening style remake of Oracle of Seasons and Ages. I'm not super confident that would happen since that would require collaboration from Capcom I'd imagine, but a boy can dream.

Same thing with Minish Cap actually, that game is criminally underrated even though it's one of my favorite 2D entries in the franchise.

I agree on having some sort of Zelda All-stars as well. Porting the Wind Waker and Twilight Princess remakes from Wii-U on to Switch would also be awesome and would surely sell like hotcakes. Maybe also... probably not a remake, but maybe a remaster of Skyward Sword would be great too. Would love to replay that game, and I think just an HD upscaling of that game would be good enough to warrant a port of it on Switch, since it still looks good even today I think.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

A remaster of Link to the Past would definitely be pretty cool, although I'm hoping for an eventual Link's Awakening style remake of Oracle of Seasons and Ages. I'm not super confident that would happen since that would require collaboration from Capcom I'd imagine, but a boy can dream.

Same thing with Minish Cap actually, that game is criminally underrated even though it's one of my favorite 2D entries in the franchise.

I agree on having some sort of Zelda All-stars as well. Porting the Wind Waker and Twilight Princess remakes from Wii-U on to Switch would also be awesome and would surely sell like hotcakes. Maybe also... probably not a remake, but maybe a remaster of Skyward Sword would be great too. Would love to replay that game, and I think just an HD upscaling of that game would be good enough to warrant a port of it on Switch, since it still looks good even today I think.

Never played WindWaker, Skyward Sword, or Twilight Princess even though I have them. I’d probably be more inclined to on the switch. 

• Like 2

Events Team · Posted
Just now, a3quit4s said:

Never played WindWaker, Skyward Sword, or Twilight Princess even though I have them. I’d probably be more inclined to on the switch. 

I'd definitely recommend at least Wind Waker and Twilight Princess if you enjoy the 3D Zelda games. Skyward Sword is a bit more polarizing, but I personally still love it.

• Like 2