IGNORED

Breath of the wild 2 - I’m calling it (2020 thread bump) / Nintendo Direct 2/17

phart010

Editorials Team · Posted
7 minutes ago, Shmup said:

No SMT V 😞 

I played about 5 hours of skyward Sword and really hated it but maybe it was the motion controls. I was hoping for a 3 pack like Mario. 

As much as SMTV is my most-wanted game, I actually hate when they spend time talking about stuff that's already announced and has rough release windows.  I want zero spoilers if possible.

10 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

As much as SMTV is my most-wanted game, I actually hate when they spend time talking about stuff that's already announced and has rough release windows.  I want zero spoilers if possible.

True. I was just hoping for a locked in date so I can hype myself more haha. I will pickup persona 5 strikers to keep myself distracted.

So weird that they tried to list all the ways SS influenced BotW.  If anything BotW felt like a reaction against SS hand holding and railroading the player.  BotW instead just drops you in a big open world and gives you free reign to explore and experiment.

Another low effort overpriced port, but it’s Nintendo you will buy it anyways. LOL

Edited by fox
  • Like 2

Editorials Team · Posted
16 minutes ago, fox said:

So weird that they tried to list all the ways SS influenced BotW.  If anything BotW felt like a reaction against SS hand holding and railroading the player.  BotW instead just drops you in a big open world and gives you free reign to explore and experiment.

Another low effort overpriced port, but it’s Nintendo you will buy it anyways. LOL

I'll buy it when its $30 THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

...or maybe $40.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

If only we had backlogs to tide us over!

Not OptOut though.  Hes too good for us in backlog world.

Yeah, my problem is I keep just replaying Dr. Mario over and over again... If I didn't keep playing that I'd probably be ready for Skyward Sword by now, lol! 😅

Oh well kicking alongside my crippling Dr. Mario addiction, once I've finished the N64 games, and the 360 and OG XBOX games, and the MegaDrive and the Super Nintendo and NES games I want to play, and maybe a couple Switch games just to keep one foot in the modern stuff, then I can move on to the Wii... 

I should have Skyward Sword complete with a review up here in the Gauntlet JUST in time for the heatdeath of the universe!!! 🤣

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

At the time it was heralded as the peak of the series and I couldn't even get through half of the game and ended up watching play through a to see how it ended lol 

Really? I thought everyone hated Skyward Sword.

I liked my time with the game, but so much of it was annoying enough that I don't really want to ever play it again.

14 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

(minus the five hour tutorial I've heard about... ugh).

Nah, the entire game is much longer than five hours :3 

Edited by Sumez
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Sumez said:

Really? I thought everyone hated Skyward Sword.

I liked my time with the game, but so much of it was annoying enough that I don't really want to ever play it again.

I mean, it got game of the year and rated 10/10 by every major and minor outlet at the time. Granted, most reviews mentioned "once you get a hang of the controls". But this was a time where motion controls were still thought of as the future and a lot of people were expecting games to have intuitive motion controls. The motion sensor plus was a step up as well.

But I'm with you, I couldn't get into it enough to finish it and the issue wasn't the controls. So while Nintendo focusing on the controls great, I think they're missing what improvements would make the game more playable.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
4 hours ago, phart010 said:

So today is the Zelda 35th Anniversary. And there’s not a peep to be heard from Nintendo. In typical Nintendo fashion they are doing the exact opposite of what you would expect them to do.

There's two Zelda games coming out this year (I'd assume).  Expecting anything else is just setting yourself up for the fail.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

There's two Zelda games coming out this year (I'd assume).  Expecting anything else is just setting yourself up for the fail.

Even without all of the special release games like they did for Mario, the lack of any formal recognition of the anniversary, even by something as simple as just mentioning it, strikes me as odd.

For the Zelda 25th, there was all kinds of celebration, contests, merch and so on.. the anniversary even had its own freaking emblem that they posted on just about everything at that time.. Same for the 30th.

Now on the 35th, just dead silence... hmm 🤔 🧐 🤨 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phart010 said:

For the Zelda 25th, there was all kinds of celebration, contests, merch and so on.. the anniversary even had its own freaking emblem that they posted on just about everything at that time.. Same for the 30th.

Now on the 35th, just dead silence... hmm 🤔🧐🤨 

What's so special about the number 35?  25 is big, as that's a quarter century; likewise, the decade anniversaries are obviously big (20, 30, 40, etc); 50 is going to be huge, but wtf is so special about 35 that has a thread going six pages on with all this wishful thinking???

• Like 2
  • Love 1

50 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

What's so special about the number 35?  25 is big, as that's a quarter century; likewise, the decade anniversaries are obviously big (20, 30, 40, etc); 50 is going to be huge, but wtf is so special about 35 that has a thread going six pages on with all this wishful thinking???

Man, anniversaries should be every 25 years. We can celebrate them like 3 times in our lifetime, that sounds good to me. This social media nonsense like "On this day... 14 years ago... Gears of War was released!" who cares! Let's collectively celebrate the nice big numbers together.

• Like 1

I completely agree that 35 is an unusual anniversary to make a big deal out of, but I also think Nintendo should be consistent with their big IPs.  It just seems odd that they would make a huge deal out of 35 years for Mario, but not for Zelda.  I now Mario is a bigger deal, but Zelda is still up there.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Exactly!  Super Mario Bros 35th anny was odd to celebrate.  I seriously think Nintendo came up with a Super Mario "Tetris 99-like game" and wanted a reason to release it.  "HEY, its the Super Mario franchise's 35th this year...lets make it 35 players instead of trying to get 99 players on there.  Yep, sounds good to me."  

And then that led to all this other stuff that they have been doing with the release of 3D All-Stars and the pin giveaways.

"Oh hey, besides being Super Mario's 35th, it is also Game & Watch's 40th!  NES Super Mario Bros. on a G&W for the holiday season?  Do it up!'

Lastly, it is funny to read news articles about "Mario turning 35."  Not quite...Super Mario turned 35...Mario the character was 35 back in 2016 if we go by Donkey Kong's arcade release.

EDIT: Speaking of which, this year is Mario's 40th anniversary as an actual creation/character! 😄

Edited by Sumer
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Just figured they’re making a trend out of doing something For every 5th anniversary. They did a 35 for Mario, why not also Zelda?

Edited by phart010
  • Like 2