IGNORED

Breath of the wild 2 - I’m calling it (2020 thread bump) / Nintendo Direct 2/17

phart010

Pumped for Mario Golf. Not gonna lie though I thought it was a mobile version of the game when the gameplay started... Something just doesn't look right. Hopefully it's not too far from Toadstool tour as that game is pretty much perfect. Probably buy it day one. 

Hades physical looks cool... May look into that too. 

Disappointing but not surprising about botw 2... At least we know it's gonna happen. 

Mario golf definitely the highlight for me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZeldaFreak said:

But yeah, I agree with MegaMan. A tad disappointing, but to be honest that's not entirely unusual with Nintendo Directs. And it wasn't outright terrible like some have been in the past, it was definitely alright, had a few good announcements in there. I'm just craving more Zelda stuff once we get to the Zelda anniversary, haha. I'm OK with them saving some stuff up for that.

58 minutes ago, MegaMan52 said:

@ZeldaFreak Yeah, looking forward to future Zelda 35th Anniversary announcements. And a Metroid Prime 4 update.

I’m starting to wonder if there’s going to be any 35th anniversary announcements...🤔

The actual anniversary in Japan is this weekend.. I thought they would’ve mentioned something today. Any chance they’ll wait until the day of?

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Wow... stay off of reddit discussions about this direct. All of the stereotypes and jokes people make are 100% true. Everyone expected BOTW2 to be fully complete, with also 5 other brand-new IPs fully complete, Prime 4 AND 5, Odyssey 2, 3, and 4 ready to buy, etc. Any Direct that delivers less than anyone's imaginary outlandish expectations is absolute garbage and Nintendo hates money.

Best part is when they say stuff like "even just 10 seconds of footage and I would have been happy!" No, you would not have been happy. "ONLY 10 SECONDS??? THAT'S IT??"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was most excited for the new Ghost N Goblins game. I never really liked the arcade games, and always liked the home ports more (even though I suck at them).

Mario Golf was interesting. I was disappointed that we never got a Mario Golf game for the Wii U. I’m hoping this is better than Mario Tennis Aces because I really didn’t become too interested in that game and haven’t really touched it since I got it. But based off the trailers is looks good.

Splatoon 3 didn’t catch my attention at first. It’s cool to see another entry in the series, but I still have yet to play the second game.

Skyword Sword is cool I guess. I do like the Joy Cons.

Ninja Gaiden trilogy, the 2 Famicom Detective games and the Capcom Arcade thingy mildly caught my interest. Other than that I really didn’t really care for anything else.

Honestly I was expecting a lot worse than what we got.

Edited by Matt 4120
  • Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
28 minutes ago, Splain said:

Wow... stay off of reddit discussions about this direct. All of the stereotypes and jokes people make are 100% true. Everyone expected BOTW2 to be fully complete, with also 5 other brand-new IPs fully complete, Prime 4 AND 5, Odyssey 2, 3, and 4 ready to buy, etc. Any Direct that delivers less than anyone's imaginary outlandish expectations is absolute garbage and Nintendo hates money.

Best part is when they say stuff like "even just 10 seconds of footage and I would have been happy!" No, you would not have been happy. "ONLY 10 SECONDS??? THAT'S IT??"

You should have seen reddit after the partner showcase last summer.  Worst meltdown ever.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Events Team · Posted
29 minutes ago, Splain said:

Eh, it's always that way with Directs. People are never satisfied. I mean, I'm not going to go around claiming this was the best direct of all time, but it certainly wasn't bad enough to yell about how awful it was.

• Like 1

Skyward Sword was the coolest part for me. I never played it and it's nice to have so many older LoZ titles available on Switch. As others have mentioned, if they redid the Oracle games and Minish Cap in the same style as Link's Awakening, they would all be day one purchases for me. Honestly, they should just get every classic Nintendo game on Switch in some form and just keep improving the console for the foreseeable future. Go the Xbox/PS route and make this thing a console with an ever expanding library.

• Like 3

Eh, I reckon a solo full-price remaster of Skyward Sword represents a pretty poor showing compared to the Mario 3D all-stars pack we got last time. I would probably have bitten on a 3 pack with the two Wii U remasters plus Skyward Sword added in, but as it is I still haven't played my Wii version of SS I bought like two years back yet, so I'm just gonna stick with that.

• Like 2

So uhh they didn't mention that the collectathon at the end of Skyward Sword had been updated or fixed in anyway. And even converting the waggle controls to the right thumb stick doesn't seem ideal. 

I'm holding off until a see a full review. That game was a sign of it's time. It was peak waggle controls mixed with a collectathon. Without mentioning any resign of the game, I can't dive in, especially for full price.

Those joycons tho 👀

• Like 2

Capcom Arcade Stadium was #1 for me, along with the Ninja Gaiden pack.  Immediately downloaded Arcade Stadium, which is free with 1943.  Its a good package of mostly shooters (and fighting games, with some beat 'em up).  I like the arcade cabinet presentation.  Played 1943 and Ghosts n' Goblins for about an hour last night.  You can get G n' G for free until the 25th of this month, so anyone interested in this should download now!

I am also intrigued by the Project Triangle game.  I downloaded the demo, but will probably wait until this weekend to play it.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

I hope Mario Golf has a wide variety of courses. I'd even be down for some dlc expansion courses down the road. 

I would be down with some DLC as well, as long as the initial game has a decent number of courses.  Don't give us 9 holes and expect to pay for more with DLC.  

With that said, I'm not worried.  Nintendo seems to have handled DLC correctly in the past.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

Yeah hard pass on SS HD for me as I assume it'll be full price. Couldn't even get through it the first time. 

I agree. For me the highlights were the new Squaresoft game (Octopath Traveler meets Final Fantasy Tactics 🙀🤯), CAPCOM Stadium (could be really cool if the prices are reasonable but, man, I wish it was a physical anthology) and Mario Golf (I've not been into a golf game since the first Hot Shots and it'd be nice to get into another one.)

All in all, I wasn't as excited as I wanted to be but that was 100% because I was hoping for more and better LoZ news. That's my fault. Oh well @Splain  looks like I'm as bad as the redditors and youtubers.

Edited by RH
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

My biggest excitement was the announcement of Splatoon 3. Then they said "2022" and I was bummed.

That Octopath strategy games looks cool, though. As does the new Mario Golf. New Monster Hunter looks fun, too.

As cool as it is that they added tactile controls to Skyward Sword (as I passed on it all those years due to the motion controls), I can't believe how horribly it's aged. The footage shown looks laughably bad to me. What an ugly looking game! Just me?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, noiseredux said:

I can't believe how horribly it's aged. The footage shown looks laughably bad to me. What an ugly looking game! Just me?

Same here. Skyward Sword was a step down from Wind Waker which was the last Zelda game I had played and it really put me off. At the time it was heralded as the peak of the series and I couldn't even get through half of the game and ended up watching play through a to see how it ended lol 

Overall, the lacks of refinement comes off as a lazy remake. Nintendo could get away with it with the Mario All Stars 3D since the only game that still looks shiddy is Mario 64, but Skyward Sword just looks plane bad. 

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, noiseredux said:

My biggest excitement was the announcement of Splatoon 3. Then they said "2022" and I was bummed.

That Octopath strategy games looks cool, though. As does the new Mario Golf. New Monster Hunter looks fun, too.

As cool as it is that they added tactile controls to Skyward Sword (as I passed on it all those years due to the motion controls), I can't believe how horribly it's aged. The footage shown looks laughably bad to me. What an ugly looking game! Just me?

Yeah it being HD doesn’t help it at all. It looked really bad like Skyward Sword N64 haha

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

Yeah it being HD doesn’t help it at all. It looked really bad like Skyward Sword N64 haha

Does the game itself look bad or is it the character design? I feel that Links design in Breath of the Wild looks so cool that I don’t like to see him looking any other way now

4 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

So uhh they didn't mention that the collectathon at the end of Skyward Sword had been updated or fixed in anyway. And even converting the waggle controls to the right thumb stick doesn't seem ideal. 

I'm holding off until a see a full review. That game was a sign of it's time. It was peak waggle controls mixed with a collectathon. Without mentioning any resign of the game, I can't dive in, especially for full price.

Those joycons tho 👀

Yeah same, I really want to play that game tbh... but if the controls are still terrible with that thumbstick I'll probably pass. I'll need to see a review when it comes out. 

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I can't think of a Zelda I'm less interested in than some waggly Wii deal.

...but I'd also like to play through it for reference.  And add it to the collection (without having to own a Wii version)

Thankfully you will be able to play it without motion controls. I think in that situation, it could be pretty decent (minus the five hour tutorial I've heard about... ugh).