IGNORED

Game Debate #11: The Secret of Monkey Island

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Rating explanations down below

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • No interest in playing it.

Has some of the best comedy in a video game. Some of the puzzles got me stuck in parts and admittedly I had to use some guides to complete it till the end. The fact I’m more typically into action games, and I kept playing this after trying it out, suggests this has very good general gamer appeal. If you’ve never tried a point’n’click adventure game before, then this would be one of the best to start with!

Gave it a 9/10.  First time playing this was the Sega CD version with its overly long load times.  This was the first point and click game I'd ever played, and what a winner to have played first.  The music in the Sega CD version is epic (probably the same as the PC CD version?).  The Special Edition is great with the added voice acting, and you can still swap to the original graphics.  This game made me a fan of Monkey Island for sure.  While I like Curse of... and Tales of... the best, I still love this one.

1 hour ago, RH said:

Is there a remastered version with an updated pallet and maybe screen resolution? I know they made the 3D release, but I would rather have something closer to the original without being limited to simple color pallette.

The remastered version is awesome and I'd highly recommend it. It's on PC and consoles, but here's the Steam page for reference: https://store.steampowered.com/app/32360/The_Secret_of_Monkey_Island_Special_Edition/

The sequel also has a remastered version, although I haven't played it. https://store.steampowered.com/app/32460/Monkey_Island_2_Special_Edition_LeChucks_Revenge/

50 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

The remastered version is awesome and I'd highly recommend it. It's on PC and consoles, but here's the Steam page for reference: https://store.steampowered.com/app/32360/The_Secret_of_Monkey_Island_Special_Edition/

The sequel also has a remastered version, although I haven't played it. https://store.steampowered.com/app/32460/Monkey_Island_2_Special_Edition_LeChucks_Revenge/

Oh thats going on my wishlish!  

As I said, I didn't like LeChucks Revenge.  It was really cryptic and silly.  I remember theres a part with a locked door and you spend all this time looking for a key.  Only to realize there is no key and you just open it.  

• Like 1

Played the Special Edition a few months ago, I liked it but overall I was hoping to enjoy it more, overall not bad at all, virtually my only problem is the occasional cryptic puzzle designed to make you want to call the hint line (or so it seemed to me), but thankfully they provided a hint system to sort of ease the need of the hint line, I had to use it a few times when I ran out of ideas and wanted to move on but of course I didn't get any satisfaction out of those puzzles by doing that.

13 hours ago, ChickenTendas said:

This is actually how I first played the game, except it was a hacked Vita 😂 Anyway, I absolutely love this game. The puzzles felt like the perfect difficulty, everything just clicked. I still remember eating through the Captain Crunch box to find the prize key inside. That and the magnet puzzle on LeChuck's ship were definitely highlights for me. Although I wouldn't give it a 10/10, it's still one of my favorite games of all time and that qualifies as a 10/10 under Reed's explanations. It also amazes me how the sequel was still able to take everything that SoMI did well and make it better.

The puzzles are all classic. This is a bit of a spoiler but I love how Guybrush forgets his whole crew, you never hear from them again until the sequels. 

I also enjoy playing secret of monkey island on my custom AMD K6-2 desktop PC running DOS 6.22. Yes I have to disable the L2 CPU cache to get the speed down to a suitable level for dos. I have a Sound Blaster 16 ISA card and a real Roland MT-32 to use with it. There’s nothing quite like a real hardware dos setup. 

the iPads, Wii’s and other newer devices are for when I’m not at home.