IGNORED

American Politics / Current Events Thread

CodysGameRoom

Editorials Team · Posted

You have to wonder if there is any awareness in Republican leadership, that they are responsible for this.  That they cultivated these people over the last 30+ years.  All these 'never-Trumpers' that immediately flip-flopped to play to the crowd.  And now the depths of that crazy is playing out before them.

• Like 1

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-raffensperger-call-georgia-vote/2021/01/03/d45acb92-4dc4-11eb-bda4-615aaefd0555_story.html?fbclid=IwAR28Qvj6ov7iYXD7IK6_kPXGGY-_nyW48kmwKgwksisthHM8IzxDLpd3FVQ

President Trump urged fellow Republican Brad Raffensperger, the Georgia secretary of state, to “find” enough votes to overturn his defeat in an extraordinary one-hour phone call Saturday that election experts said raised legal questions.

The Washington Post obtained a recording of the conversation in which Trump alternately berated Raffensperger, tried to flatter him, begged him to act and threatened him with vague criminal consequences if the secretary of state refused to pursue his false claims, at one point warning that Raffensperger was taking “a big risk.”

Throughout the call, Raffensperger and his office’s general counsel rejected Trump’s assertions, explaining that the president is relying on debunked conspiracy theories and that President-elect Joe Biden’s 11,779-vote victory in Georgia was fair and accurate.

• Angry 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Also, Trump's endless references to "they."

"They" think this.

"They" say this.

Jesus Christ, the most powerful man on the planet, and his intel comes from OAN anchors, twitter, and worse.

Worst.  President. In history.  Just mind-numbing the rate at which he has damaged our country.  Possibly permanently.

Editorials Team · Posted

Trump: And they say the parts inside the Dominion machines have been swapped out

Georgia GOP: They have not been.

Trump: Well in my opinion they have been.  And that's criminal.  So you better find me 11,000 votes.

I'd say this shit should be eye-opening for at least some Trump supporters.  But let's be real, for most people it seems like this is basically college football rivalry.  Once you're all in, you either win or you die fighting for your hill.

On 12/29/2020 at 12:43 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

McConnell being fed to the wolves.  The Democrats know that he's right: we shouldn't be printing money for everyone, especially higher income individuals who haven't lost a paycheck.  But Trump totally screwed him over and they smell blood in the water 😅

Democrats know McConnel is right? 

So McConnell was right when he passed trillions of dollar tax cut for the wealth and corporations? Or McConnell was right when they gave trillions of dollars to corporations through the first stimulus plan? 

There is a 75K phase out on the stimulus. This isn't going to the rich. 

The Fed has been floating corporations. Revenue has been declining and job losses are becoming permanent. This money would help a. The person being given the money and b. the rest of the economy from the bottom up.

This money would actually have a stimulative effect on the economy unlike the tax giveaways the republicans are giving corporations or the money the fed is dolling out.

We have one of the worst recovering economies in the world and that is because they are using a top down free for all instead of a bottom up approach. This is econ 101.

Edited by Californication

Editorials Team · Posted

He was right about needing to target the stimulus.  Give money to people who need it.  Give $0 to people like me.  Unlike last time.

We haven't missed a paycheck, we are in the top nth percentile in income, and we still got thousands of dollars.  Who knows what they would have sent us this time, even with another sliding scale.

The Dems knew this, but tried to leverage The Donald's sway to put a screw on McConnell, knowing he wouldn't go for it.

Whatever, that's ancient history at this point with how things have been moving.

6 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

He was right about needing to target the stimulus.  Give money to people who need it.  Give $0 to people like me.  Unlike last time.

Whatever, that's ancient history at this point with how things have been moving.

McConnel is right about nothing that helps the American people.

He got all of his corporate give aways and doesn't care to help average Americans. 

The republicans have been transitioning to their deficit talk for months so they can prevent a democrat administration from moving forward when they have been emptying the treasury for the last four years. Honestly, this republican talking point is silly at best.

Edited by Californication

Editorials Team · Posted
3 minutes ago, Californication said:

McConnel is right about nothing that helps the American people.

He got all of his corporate give aways and doesn't care to help average Americans. 

Uh, okay.  Despite my clearly revelling in the dude's situation, that was your takeaway?  McConnell is a piece of shit, and the Dems got a free shot on him.  That's the takeaway.

Editorials Team · Posted

3 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Uh, okay.  Despite my clearly revelling in the dude's situation, that was your takeaway?

I'm confused.

How is saying that McConnel is "being fed to the wolves. Democrats know he is right" revelling in his situation?

McConnel pivoted to talking about focused payments because direct payments were added to the bill and he doesn't want them to be larger.

McConnell and the Democrats almost finished the bill with zero dollars for Americans. Their plan was to give no direct payment to peop. Bernie Sanders stood up and got the measely $600 added. 

There are millions of Americans not paying their rent. There are millions of Americans who are out of work. There are food lines that are miles/hours long. 

The government just signed off on a what 700B spending bill for the military. Are you kidding me?

1 minute ago, Californication said:

I'm confused.

How is saying that McConnel is "being fed to the wolves. Democrats know he is right" revelling in his situation?

McConnel pivoted to talking about focused payments because direct payments were added to the bill and he doesn't want them to be larger.

McConnell and the Democrats almost finished the bill with zero dollars for Americans. Their plan was to give no direct payment to peop. Bernie Sanders stood up and got the measely $600 added. 

There are millions of Americans not paying their rent. There are millions of Americans who are out of work. There are food lines that are miles/hours long. 

The government just signed off on a what 700B spending bill for the military. Are you kidding me?

China

• Thanks 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Oh God, this hardly what I want to talk about in light of recent events.

This will be my final post on the matter since you're clinging to the word "right" for some reason.

THE DEMS TRIED TO RUSH A BILL THEY KNEW HE'D REJECT TO CAPITILIZE ON A TRUMP TWEET FOR POLITICAL GAINS

Not sure what that has to do with a defense bill with bipartisan support.

1 minute ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Oh God, this hardly what I want to talk about in light of recent events.

This will be my final post on the matter since you're clinging to the word "right" for some reason.

THE DEMS TRIED TO RUSH A BILL THEY KNEW HE'D REJECT TO CAPITILIZE ON A TRUMP TWEET FOR POLITICAL GAINS

Not sure what that has to do with a defense bill with bipartisan support.

The connection between the defense bill and the stimulus is that both increase the deficit. 

Defense bills are 75% corporate welfare. They are a way for politicians to give money to big donors like Raytheon, etc. If someone disagrees they call the anti-american, anti-military, etc. 

The republicans have no problem giving corporate tax cuts, emptying the fed at zero interest rates, or giving away money to people that make bombs and planes that we don't need. But you ask for something that helps the American people and they start talking about deficits

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

*sigh*

So because our government's waste is already out of control we should just say "fuck it" and throw it all to the wind?

I'm not against a stimulus.  But "$2,000 for everyone!" thrown together in ten minutes on the back of a tweet after months of strangled negotiations is exactly what it looks like: free political points.  Here's an idea; take the money you would have sent to people who have comfortable livings and never missed a paycheck, and add it ontop of the check for those people who are in the food lines.  My company got millions of dollars, and I got thousands of dollars last time, and I can tell you for a fact that neither one of us needed it.  Or, I dunno, give more to people living in California?  People in North Dakota sure as hell didn't need an extra $600/week to make rent.

And as far as "planes and bombs that we don't need"... That's a pretty debatable take.  Gonna be real debatable in about 10 years here.  Maybe we can page Jonebone on that one...

Editorials Team · Posted
57 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

I'm hoping for something reminiscent of a toddler being drug out of a store after mommy and daddy wouldn't buy him the candy bar in the checkout aisle.  

Part of me hopes he literally has to be dragged/carried out of the Oval Office.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Events Team · Posted
Just now, Reed Rothchild said:

Part of me hopes he literally has to be dragged/carried out of the Oval Office.

For all of the entertainment Trump has given to the world in the last 4 years, it better end in a glorious fit of sour grapes.  I'd be disappointed with anything less.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1