IGNORED

American Politics / Current Events Thread

CodysGameRoom

1 hour ago, ThePhleo said:

Like it or not, Donald Trump is leader of the most power nation on Earth and has access to the worlds best doctors and medicine. He is going to be getting the best treatment money can pay for and will come out of this fine.

I say he gets mild to moderate symptoms at worst.

I would have pretty high confidence that he at least survives the primary illness.

But I wouldn't be surprised if the long-term effects give an obese senior citizen like him a stroke in the next couple of years.

That is, I would be that it substantially increases the risk that he doesn't survive a 2nd term, or does so at a greatly diminished physical capacity (which for a guy at his weight and age is a downward spiral).

On another note:

“Dear God, please protect President Trump from the Coronavirus, although I’m not sure if it’s real, and even if it is real, I’m not sure why I’m asking You for help because it’s not that bad.”

- has got to be one of the weirder prayers God has received throughout His career and you know He’s hearing it all day today. If you think I’m being over the top then you haven’t spent as much time in evangelical churches as I did growing up.

• Haha 2

On 9/30/2020 at 3:45 PM, arch_8ngel said:

It isn't about being "offended".  It is about recognizing the threat of the situation where Trump is enabling and encouraging white supremacist groups. There is real danger here.

On 10/1/2020 at 12:35 PM, CodysGameRoom said:

They have names. Just like white supremacists have the KKK, Proud Boys, etc.

To be clear, the Proud Boys aren't a white supremacist group, even though they were framed as such to help "prove" that Trump supports white supremacists.

• Eyeroll 1

18 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

To be clear, the Proud Boys aren't a white supremacist group, even though they were framed as such to help "prove" that Trump supports white supremacists.

"The Proud Boys are a far-right, neo-fascist and male-only organization with ties to white supremacists that promotes and engages in political violence."

semantics.

Just now, arch_8ngel said:

Good.

Unfortunate that he couldn't have just said that in the first place.

The press secretary went on an impressive quote train of him condemnation of such groups yesterday at the press conference as well. 

It just doesn't get coverage. Worse tho, is that people can pick and choose what statements he actually meant and further hold him accountable for what other infer from his statements. But there is no road to redemption.

Not to say that I think Donnie wants to change his ways, but I do think that there needs to be an emphasis on redemption by the media. All road to redemption seems to be lost by anyone, right left of center, in today's political climate. It's a real shame to paint public figures as these static images. 

6 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

The press secretary went on an impressive quote train of him condemnation of such groups yesterday at the press conference as well. 

It just doesn't get coverage. Worse tho, is that people can pick and choose what statements he actually meant and further hold him accountable for what other infer from his statements. But there is no road to redemption.

Not to say that I think Donnie wants to change his ways, but I do think that there needs to be an emphasis on redemption by the media. All road to redemption seems to be lost by anyone, right left of center, in today's political climate. It's a real shame to paint public figures as these static images. 

Donald Trump's portrayal of himself is the complete antithesis of someone willing or able to ask for "redemption" of any kind, because the man will not accept blame for ANYTHING.

He would have to be willing to admit that he was wrong at some point, which just isn't going to happen.

I'm not holding out any hope that him catching Covid-19 will change his tune, either.

Edited by arch_8ngel
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Donald Trump's portrayal of himself is the complete antithesis of someone willing or able to ask for "redemption" of any kind, because the man will not accept blame for ANYTHING.

He would have to be willing to admit that he was wrong at some point, which just isn't going to happen.

Yeah, I agree. Like I said, I don't think he is the candidate since he literally plays up his irredeemable qualities but it is something that we need to allow public figures access to. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

He had the world watching when Wallace asked him point blank to condemn those groups and he whiffed. Doesn't speak highly of him.

After listening to the press secretary spout off an impressive amount of condemnations, and I think even go on to say he has condemned white supremacy more than any president in history, for only the sheer quantity of instances, that I kind of understand why he got confused at the questions. 

In his mind he sees himself as this perfect person who is always saying the right thing. He's condemned white supremacy more than any other president. What else can he say? 

He goes on to ask exactly what they want him to say so he can say it. Fumbles over his words and gets a turn over at the one yard line.

But if we're going by how many times a person condemns an organization as an indication of their stance on the issue, then a person has to believe his stance is at stark contrast of white supremacists.