IGNORED

American Politics / Current Events Thread

CodysGameRoom

Yeah, he also said Republicans would be "hunted down" if Biden won, among other gems.

A few people made him out to be some genius prognosticator, pointing out that he said Trump would win 2016. While he was right on that part, he also said that Trump would win a landslide in both the electoral (wouldn't call it a landslide) and the popular vote (uh, no he lost that by 3 million.) Michael Moore was more on target with his prediction that the Great Lake states would be the key in 2016.

2 hours ago, Link said:

I mean I knew he would win, guess I’m a genius too. lol.

The day after he said he could shoot someone on Fifth Ave and people would still vote for him, there were no consequences. I called it then.

Because people with common sense knew that it was a figure of speech and he wasn't gonna literally shoot or grab anyone. 😛   Just like people who say "I'm gonna kill you!" if you did or said something they didn't like, it doesn't mean they're gonna literally murder you, it's just an expression...I hope.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Estil said:

Because people with common sense knew that it was a figure of speech and he wasn't gonna literally shoot or grab anyone. 😛   Just like people who say "I'm gonna kill you!" if you did or said something they didn't like, it doesn't mean they're gonna literally murder you, it's just an expression...I hope.

Except that it wasn’t.

edit:  it’s not a comment about whether he’s going to murder someone.  Don’t be obtuse.  It’s a comment about the blind rabidness of his base. 

double edit:  I feel like rabiditty should be a word.

Edited by Hammerfestus

On 9/4/2020 at 9:28 AM, CodysGameRoom said:

Yea, that's how we got our independence from Britain right? They just listened to us speak. 🙄

Actually if you read the Declaration of Independence it clearly says that they had already exhausted all other available options, as well as their Hail Mary pass "Olive Branch Petition" and that given the totality of all the circumstances and the realities of the then current situation, those who favored independence felt there was no other real choice.  And yes there was very much a Patriots vs Loyalist spectrum as well as (believe it or not) a spectrum of hawks vs doves as well.

19 hours ago, Estil said:

Actually if you read the Declaration of Independence it clearly says that they had already exhausted all other available options, as well as their Hail Mary pass "Olive Branch Petition" and that given the totality of all the circumstances and the realities of the then current situation, those who favored independence felt there was no other real choice.  And yes there was very much a Patriots vs Loyalist spectrum as well as (believe it or not) a spectrum of hawks vs doves as well.

I'm not sure what your point is. You don't think those who are trying to get out from under the constant oppression feel like they have any other choice? 

• Like 1

long headline is long

A Judge Asked Harvard to Find Out Why So Many Black People Were In Prison. They Could Only Find 1 Answer: Systemic Racism

655 of every 100,000 Black people in Massachusetts are in prison... [and] 82 white citizens for every 100,000 

[four year study] found that Black incarcerees received more severe charges, harsher sentences and less favorable outcomes than their white counterparts. They looked at more than a million cases...and discovered disparities that could not be explained by logic or reason. 

Of course, that could only mean that Black people commit much more crime, right?
Nope.
OK, then maybe Black people commit worse crimes.
That wasn’t it.
What they found is the criminal justice system is unequal on every level. Cops in the state are more likely to stop Black drivers. Police are more likely to search or investigate Black residents. Law enforcement agents charge Black suspects with infractions that carry worse penalties. Prosecutors are less likely to offer Black suspects plea bargains or pre-trial intervention. Judges sentence Black defendants to longer terms in prison. And the average white felon in the Massachusetts Department of Corrections has committed a more severe crime than the average Black inmate.

The counterargument previously presented that there is just more crime in black neighborhoods and that is the cause of more arrests is false and is part of the problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The article for some reason doesn't mention it, bad reporting I guess, but this is the current owner of "Gamers" in the Omaha/Lincoln area:

https://www.wowt.com/2020/09/17/1-million-bail-set-for-omaha-council-candidate-charged-with-sex-assault-of-minor/

He's been a scumbag for years and people are finally figuring it out. Sad that a child was hurt for that to happen.

Edited by CodysGameRoom

Events Team · Posted
19 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Yeah.

And of course, Scalia dies nine months before the next election:

119927197_10218338409358796_732585781834

Ginsberg dies less than two months before the election:

https://www.npr.org/sections/death-of-ruth-bader-ginsburg/2020/09/18/914650878/mcconnell-trumps-nominee-to-replace-ginsburg-will-receive-a-vote-in-the-senate

This is indeed the epitome of hypocrisy after blocking the nomination of Merrick Garland in 2016. The only difference is that Trump is ending his first term, but does it really matter?

47 minutes ago, guillavoie said:

This is indeed the epitome of hypocrisy after blocking the nomination of Merrick Garland in 2016. The only difference is that Trump is ending his first term, but does it really matter?

Its hypocrisy both ways. Cant argue wait for an election, when you didnt have that stance prior

Edited by Quest4Nes

You know what's crazy about the Breonna Taylor case? The fact that the media ignores this critical piece of information. Walker is Breonnas boyfriend.

"After the police broke the door off its hinges, Mr. Walker fired his gun once, striking Sergeant Mattingly in a thigh. The police responded by firing several shots, striking Ms. Taylor five times."

Walker fired first at cops, and they defended themselves. How were they supposed to know who had the gun? They entered, were shot at by Walker, then they returned fire. Had they not done so, they could've died. Self defense and a tragic accident. No murder here.

https://www.nytimes.com/article/breonna-taylor-police.html

4 hours ago, The Strangest said:

I was dismissed in an earlier iteration of this thread when I said I was afraid Trump wouldn’t peacefully give up power if he lost the election.

”There won’t be a transfer, frankly. There will be a continuation.”

I hope he's not that crazy. His real quote seems to be that he's confident he'll win if mail in ballots are done safely and timely, and that there won't need to be a transfer of power because he'll still be president. He has florida and arizona now. The race is definitely getting much more interesting. Biden had it in the bag a month ago but it has gotten way closer. It'll come down to Michigan and/or Wisconsin.