IGNORED

PS5

I have to agree with the above, I feel like Xbox is slowly gaining traction in their competition with Playstation - plus their Xbox Game Pass is a VERY attractive offering for those that want to stick to one system.  If you're a PC gamer, I think they have a lot of Xbox/PC crossover purchases too which is neat.

To point out, their newest Series X system is severely more appealing to the eye compared to the Stranger Things infused PS5 (IMO).  Looks like it will take less real estate too which I can appreciate.

Lastly, when it comes to backwards compatibility I think we have to give it to Xbox for current gen.  I'm super interested in how they compare with this next gen.

1 hour ago, Boosted52405 said:

I have to agree with the above, I feel like Xbox is slowly gaining traction in their competition with Playstation - plus their Xbox Game Pass is a VERY attractive offering for those that want to stick to one system.  If you're a PC gamer, I think they have a lot of Xbox/PC crossover purchases too which is neat.

To point out, their newest Series X system is severely more appealing to the eye compared to the Stranger Things infused PS5 (IMO).  Looks like it will take less real estate too which I can appreciate.

Lastly, when it comes to backwards compatibility I think we have to give it to Xbox for current gen.  I'm super interested in how they compare with this next gen.

I don't want to derail the thread with all my Xbox talk, but I definitely don't love the design of either console. The Xbox is boring, if inoffensive, and the PS5 is a bit flamboyant. I didn't love the look of either of the current gen consoles at launch either, but the One S is a gorgeous redesign and the PS4 grew on me with time. I think my white PS4 Pro actually looks pretty sleek where it is right now.

The funny thing is that my entertainment center is modern with black and white styling, so you'd think it would be a nice fit for the PS5. It's just those damn curves and the asymmetry that bother me so much. I suppose I can always hide it behind a door if I don't like how it stands out, so in the end the design doesn't mean much. Here's a few pics to show what I mean (forgive the mess in the second photo since we're still waiting for our basement floor to get redone after the recent flood).

ho0KDBE.thumb.jpg.523f029677e9fea6e1fcc718d0be416f.jpg

IMG_20200625_164210.thumb.jpg.a992614e0257936c5e3a48fe9e7b28f0.jpg

Edited by DoctorEncore

• 1 month later...

I’m sure I’ll end up having both at some point but I’ll likely have the Xbox at launch simply for Halo. I agree that PlayStation has better exclusives, but for me at launch it’ll be about Halo. I’ll see about the PlayStation 5 when an exclusive comes out that I really want to play. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

I’m sure I’ll end up having both at some point but I’ll likely have the Xbox at launch simply for Halo. I agree that PlayStation has better exclusives, but for me at launch it’ll be about Halo. I’ll see about the PlayStation 5 when an exclusive comes out that I really want to play. 

I agree PlayStation has the better exclusives.  It does seem like Xbox will be much stronger with their studios next gen though.  I too will probably lean Xbox simply because of gamepass.  Until Horizon Zero Dawn 2 comes out I have no reason to leave the PS4.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2020 at 2:52 PM, DoctorEncore said:

Different strokes for different folks, but I'd rather play Ori, Cuphead, Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, Halo (MCC, not 4 or 5... bleck), and Forza than any of the big name PS4 exclusives. I don't think those PS4 games are bad, but they all have a very similar feel to them, and I say that as someone who has played many of them (Uncharted, God of War,  Spider-Man, etc). And I don't want to be forced to connect a PC to my TV and go through Windows 10 or use Steam Link or some other hackneyed solution to play these games. Also, most of the games sold and played are actually third party and no one on earth has time to play every single game that comes out.

So, in response, their target audience is someone who likes the games they produce and doesn't want to game on a PC. Or perhaps someone who just likes third party games and wants the most powerful machine (at least when we talk about the One X and maybe XSX, although I won't jump to conclusions just yet). Or maybe just someone who likes their perks and ecosystem better (Xbox Live, Games with Gold, Game Pass).

I know PS5 blew Xbox out of the water in terms of sales (~100 million), but 40-50 million consoles is a significant number of humans playing Xbox games.  I mean, that's more than the SNES (~50 million), Genesis, Xbox, N64, Gamecube, Vita, Saturn, Dreamcast, or Wii U sold. 🤷‍♂️

I'm not trying to defend them or shill for them. I don't owe multi-billion dollar corporations anything. But I do think they make a good product and they're doing some really consumer-friendly things right now.

You just described me as well. I'd much prefer a console experience than ever trying to hook a pc up to my projector. I play mostly third party games, and aside from the Spiderman game, I don't see much draw to PS5 exclusives. I'd much prefer to have stronger hardware to run games on than Sony exclusives.

I like how easy Xbox is to use as a media center too. I have all the steaming apps for shows and music pinned to the home menu. It just makes it easy for me to game, then switch to tv to watch with the wife and then switch back when she goes to bed.

Oh and game pass. You get every major release for a small monthly fee. It's insane that you'll get all the games shown at the event for $15 a month. Its a process to start and stop it but it's soo worth it. 

People sleep on game pass. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, zeppelin03 said:

I agree PlayStation has the better exclusives.  It does seem like Xbox will be much stronger with their studios next gen though.  I too will probably lean Xbox simply because of gamepass.  Until Horizon Zero Dawn 2 comes out I have no reason to leave the PS4.

They always have the better not-counting-first party-Nintendo stuff exclusives.  Nothing really special about the 360/X-One at all from my vantage point...even their achievement system, even if it did come first is super lame (no G/S/B anything, just points/leveling up which PS also offers).

I'm still quite open to getting an original Xbox though if I can get a really nice condition one that really is an ultimate retro arcade/mame machine kind of thing.

When did the very FIRST PS5 game trailer/demo come out?  I could've sworn I remember seeing the very first clip of what the PS3 can do...it'd be kinda nice for historical purposes to know exactly when we saw the first look at graphics from each of the PS systems.

Edited by Estil

5 hours ago, Estil said:

They always have the better not-counting-first party-Nintendo stuff exclusives.  Nothing really special about the 360/X-One at all from my vantage point...even their achievement system, even if it did come first is super lame (no G/S/B anything, just points/leveling up which PS also offers).

I'm still quite open to getting an original Xbox though if I can get a really nice condition one that really is an ultimate retro arcade/mame machine kind of thing.

When did the very FIRST PS5 game trailer/demo come out?  I could've sworn I remember seeing the very first clip of what the PS3 can do...it'd be kinda nice for historical purposes to know exactly when we saw the first look at graphics from each of the PS systems.

I don't hold the PlayStation exclusives in as high regard as many people.  They typically go for a cinematic experience that starts to seem the same after a while. Never got how Xbox gets bashed for too many FPS game when PlayStation clearly has a formula to their titles.  Preferences I suppose make that difference.  Xbox has some interesting exclusives coming up. I'm looking forward to Stalker 2 as well as whatever that new Rare game ends up being.  Fable got announced and that's a series I've been wanting to try.  PlayStation is showing more up front and I hope Xbox continues to bring more new stuff to be on par.

I will always prefer achievement points over trophies. Never understood the point of b/s/g. Just give me an achievement for the game and tell me the rarity of it. Steam is similar in there handling of achievements.

Edited by zeppelin03

7 hours ago, Estil said:

I remember seeing photos from this presentation back in 1998/1999 in magazine and I think I downloaded the video all night just to watch it.  I was hyped about the PS2 back then.  Anyway, I think this is the first tech demo for the PS2.  I know that old mans face blew everyone away.  I think it was a reduced quality model that might have been used in the Final Fantasy movie.

Not the PS2, but I remember this also being the first Xbox demo.  It also blew me away.  Fortunately I was in college and we had "blazing fast speeds" on our campus T1 line.

5 hours ago, RH said:

I remember seeing photos from this presentation back in 1998/1999 in magazine and I think I downloaded the video all night just to watch it.  I was hyped about the PS2 back then.  Anyway, I think this is the first tech demo for the PS2.  I know that old mans face blew everyone away.  I think it was a reduced quality model that might have been used in the Final Fantasy movie.

Not the PS2, but I remember this also being the first Xbox demo.  It also blew me away.  Fortunately I was in college and we had "blazing fast speeds" on our campus T1 line.

That original Xbox demo is still impressive to me. At least in a sense of the technology available at the time.

On 7/28/2020 at 5:21 PM, RegularGuyGamer said:

You just described me as well. I'd much prefer a console experience than ever trying to hook a pc up to my projector. I play mostly third party games, and aside from the Spiderman game, I don't see much draw to PS5 exclusives. I'd much prefer to have stronger hardware to run games on than Sony exclusives.

I like how easy Xbox is to use as a media center too. I have all the steaming apps for shows and music pinned to the home menu. It just makes it easy for me to game, then switch to tv to watch with the wife and then switch back when she goes to bed.

Oh and game pass. You get every major release for a small monthly fee. It's insane that you'll get all the games shown at the event for $15 a month. Its a process to start and stop it but it's soo worth it. 

People sleep on game pass. 

As someone who does have a PC occupying an HDMI port on their computer I can confidently say it is often annoying.  Sure I can play games at specs well about consoles but that also comes with the time spent dialing in settings.

I was recently going to start Final Fantasy XV. It ran well but after a few minutes my FPS tanked.  Then came the 45 minutes of dialing in settings. Yes I could have just gone to a lower preset but after dropping as much as I have onthe system I'm going to lower a setting at a time to ensure the best experience possible.  If I just played it on my One X it would have worked right away.

Also, the pins are perfect for a media setup. I tried PS4s TV app for all of a minute. Once I saw I had apps stuck to my bar as ads I moved on.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

Gran Turismo 7 better be a launch title or very close to it.  Every home PlayStation console received two GT titles except for the PS4.  The the game that the PS4 received wasn't even a real Gran Turismo game.  Pretty disappointing.  

I still need to get around to doing the first two...

On 6/25/2020 at 1:27 PM, The Strangest said:

Xbox can wave all of their fancy performance upgrades and specs in my face all they want, but what it boils down to is the games and if they show out this generation like they did last, I won’t see much reason to choose Xbox over PlayStation. Again.

You could play almost everything worth playing on Xbox on your PS4. And for the short list of exclusives that you couldn’t, you could get them on PC.

I just don’t see Xbox’s target audience. They’re trying to goad people who want the best specs... but those people will probably just play on a PC? If you want the best performance, you generally go PC. If you’re someone who wants the best library on console, you typically go PlayStation. So where does Xbox fit?

Indeed, among exclusives Xbox has Halo...and...and...and that's pretty much about it.

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Also, from what I read PS4 games are backwards compatible with the PS5! This is huge, a great reason to get a PS5, if you can find one.

They're having compatibility issues from what I understand. Only about 100 PS4 games are BC vs Xbox which is all of them (?) so far, which includes the XB360 games and OGXB games that are already playable on XBONE.

It still looks like Gamepass is the 500lb gorilla in the room. $15 a month to play every game worth playing is a small price to pay. I'm shocked everytime I look at the games on Gamepass. They're all there. All the games. 

2 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

They're having compatibility issues from what I understand. Only about 100 PS4 games are BC vs Xbox which is all of them (?) so far, which includes the XB360 games and OGXB games that are already playable on XBONE.

It still looks like Gamepass is the 500lb gorilla in the room. $15 a month to play every game worth playing is a small price to pay. I'm shocked everytime I look at the games on Gamepass. They're all there. All the games. 

So the new Xbox is compatible with all Xbox systems and games? That's amazing!

Do you know if Microsoft is still pulling the "have to be online" stunt? Or can you just purchase the system and plug-n-play without internet connection? 

2 minutes ago, avatar! said:

So the new Xbox is compatible with all Xbox systems and games? That's amazing!

Do you know if Microsoft is still pulling the "have to be online" stunt? Or can you just purchase the system and plug-n-play without internet connection? 

That ended about 6 months after the launch of the xbox one so it's been about 6 years since that was a factor of Xbox. The backwards compatibility is unmatched though. I can play all of my 360 games on my XB1 and soon also on my Series X. 

They include a throwback title every month for free as well with xbox live. Games like Fable, Destroy all humans, and other classic OG XB games are consistently featured. 

MS main goal is to give you as many games as possible for a monthly fee. They even let you lease (?) the console for a low monthly payment. 

• Like 1