IGNORED

PS5

Not really. Parents buy a ton of shit that their kids use for a limited time that gets shoved in a closet after. Toys, Disney/Marvel movies, etc.

The ones who'll be affected the most are probably teens buying games for themselves with limited income. Everyone else will probably chug along like normal.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Tulpa said:

Not really. Parents buy a ton of shit that their kids use for a limited time that gets shoved in a closet after. Toys, Disney/Marvel movies, etc.

The ones who'll be affected the most are probably teens buying games for themselves with limited income. Everyone else will probably chug along like normal.

I mean I do have some experience here. I worked at a game store for awhile in my life. I got a sense of the mother kid video game workings.

And you think going all digital is going to stop parents from buying games? If Nintendo releases Breath of the Wild 2 or Mario Kart 9 on the all digital Switch U, just as many people are going to buy it. I mean, look at how many parents buy umpteen billion mobile games that will never be recouped nowadays.

Look, I like physical media as much as the next guy, but you have to see the writing on the wall at this point. Mainstream games on physical media will eventually join the dodo. Not overnight, but it is inevitable.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 2

Just now, Tulpa said:

And you think going all digital is going to stop parents from buying games? If Nintendo releases Breath of the Wild 2 or Mario Kart 9 on the all digital Switch U, just as many people are going to buy it. 

Awww geez another Nintendo console that's going to college? 😛

Events Team · Posted
15 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

I don't like how it looks like the white parts could break off at any moment.

Yeah. That, and I just personally really dislike the two-tone look. I'm not a big fan of white electronics, but I'd rather have an all-black or all-white console than whatever they were trying to do with the two-tone thing.

• Like 1

Here is some food for thought: "Why would any video game company stop making physical copies of games while profits exceed production costs?"

So lets start by talking about the one benefit of having a physical media-free console: The only people who can steal your games is Sony. And sad to say the way their CSR treated me when it comes to this is one of two reasons why I prefer Nintendo. But if I was travelling and needed a solid machine to play select games Nintendo does not offer, I would seriously consider this. Just because in the end it would be safer than having a laptop be stolen, and a lot easier than travelling with both the console and a library of games.

Now there is the question I had asked. The only sure-fire sign this will be a scenario is not when some online magazine writer says that the digital version will fail. Because that is as factual as me saying that Microsoft never had a successful console. And me using the Japanese market as the only example. No. It's when stores that use in-market practices like Best Buy and Gamestop stop offering physical copies of any game. Because lets face it, Target can drop this at any point and still make money. And Walmart? The only time they will call it a lost is when their so-called exclusives are not being purchased.

In the end I say let this ride out. Sony makes more money in terms of physical media in Japan. So we still have years of them using that market as an excuse to ride the physical media train. But once the U.S. end of their CSR workforce get their literal shit improved, I would start to worry by the time PS6 becomes a rumor. Because before that time come their history of dealing with digital media is a sure-fire sign they will not ditch it when it comes to the PS5.

With that said, and later edited... Feel free to agree or disagree. All I can say is that I will buy physical Capcom games for my sealed game collection as long as the specific title they made offers me some type of long-term interest. 🎮

Edited by FenrirZero

11 hours ago, ChickenTendas4PokeyEater said:

But in 10 years? A lot of people here won't even be gamers at that point, with more important things to take care of like kids and retirement. 

I don't know what percentage of VGS members have kids, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a decent amount. I mean, are you really going to let kids take away something you love? If so, what's the point of having kids?? (I know, that's a whole different can o' worms).

And as for retirement, what exactly do you think you're going to be doing?? - You'll be playing games 🙂 

2 minutes ago, avatar! said:

I don't know what percentage of VGS members have kids, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a decent amount. I mean, are you really going to let kids take away something you love? If so, what's the point of having kids?? (I know, that's a whole different can o' worms).

And as for retirement, what exactly do you think you're going to be doing?? - You'll be playing games 🙂 

Yeaaaaah... I gamed a lot as a kid and in college.  I, sadly, sold off all of my stuff shortly after college.  It wasn't until 2016, when I had a 4 year old and 18 month old that I decided to start collecting.  I never looked back.  My kids love playing games with me, and as they get older, I still enjoy spending time with them, but they don't need as much attention because they aren't running around doing ignorant dangerous things.  So, I'm now 38, with a couple of munchkins and I don't see they gaming and collecting stopping any time soon.

Apparently there was a pretty legit appearing leak out of Amazon France regarding price and release date. They listed it at €499/399 (which would most likely be $500/400 in the US) and a release date of 20 November.

These numbers line up exactly with what I'd expect based on build cost ($450) and the general expectation from gamers. I suspect Xbox will come in at $500/300 and we'll see a price drop for the One X to $200-250, so there should be some really nice competition this generation.

Think it's legit? Thoughts?

https://gamerant.com/ps5-price-release-date-leak-amazon/

1 hour ago, DoctorEncore said:

Apparently there was a pretty legit appearing leak out of Amazon France regarding price and release date. They listed it at €499/399 (which would most likely be $500/400 in the US) and a release date of 20 November.

These numbers line up exactly with what I'd expect based on build cost ($450) and the general expectation from gamers. I suspect Xbox will come in at $500/300 and we'll see a price drop for the One X to $200-250, so there should be some really nice competition this generation.

I can see those prices.  The parts are not cheap but they cannot afford to go much higher.  Also dropping $100 off for the digital only  model might be enough for a lot of people to skip the drive.

I will be tempted to save $100 and keep my Xbox One X as a Blu-ray player.

Edited by zeppelin03

Can the thread be moved to the gamers gauntlet it seems kinda ill placed here with the OT threads about cats beer and all this other non-gaming shit. It's kinda annoying stumbling upon it here but at the same time i don't want it to come off as nitpicking over bullshit i don't know.

23 minutes ago, Boosted52405 said:

I actually thought the 11/20 launch date was already confirmed, I'd bank on it I've heard it several times now.

Still waiting for the Slim/Pro iteration personally.  I can't get over how ugly it is and why white?

There’s no way Sony doesn’t eventually release an all black version. Seems like a no brainer to me.

43 minutes ago, zeppelin03 said:

I'm really hoping they do. If not I am waiting for the right limited edition.

If you wait and they didn't you'd still get the chance to buy an upgraded Slim/Pro console wich to me seems much more valuable than the shape or color anyway.

12 minutes ago, cartman said:

If you wait and they didn't you'd still get the chance to buy an upgraded Slim/Pro console wich to me seems much more valuable than the shape or color anyway.

That is really what I should do. I upgraded PS4 and Xbox to the better models. It was an expensive improvement when I mostly game on PC/Switch.

5 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

That's pretty much been the expectation.  PS4 was revealed in June and came out in Nov.  None of the games shown had a firm release date they just said "Holiday" 2020.  And it needs to come out before Black Friday so that is really the latest it could come out.

I think it is going to come down to what Microsoft does.  Microsoft bungled the One by trying to shove Kinect down everyone's throats and bloating the cost, giving PS4 the edge.  Sony needs to match if not undercut Microsoft (they sold PS4 at a loss for a long time.)

Why do you think Lockheart will be $300?  I would have figured $400 to compete with PS5 digital edition.

20 minutes ago, zeppelin03 said:

That is really what I should do. I upgraded PS4 and Xbox to the better models. It was an expensive improvement when I mostly game on PC/Switch.

Well there you have it. Unless the wait itself isn't a huge detraction you only stand to gain by waiting.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, fox said:

Why do you think Lockheart will be $300?  I would have figured $400 to compete with PS5 digital edition.

• No disc drive
  • Significantly weaker GPU than either PS5 or XSX
  • Based on Phil Spencer's comments over the last 6 months, I think MS is 100% committed to matching or beating Sony's price on the high end and beating it on the low end

I think they'd get killed at $400. The discless PS5 would be a little more than twice as powerful with a faster hard drive and all those big time PS exclusives. Maybe MS would consider $350, but I think $300 is the sweet spot for a discless console.

• Like 1