IGNORED

PS5

17 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Idk about the all digital everything future that everyone points to. Think of all the countries with people who have unreliable internet. There's no way they would take out a decent % of their total player base by forcing digital only unless high speed wifi gets beams from space for all the world. 

I don’t think it’s a close as next gen or anything, but the big three hardware makers want it badly and kids today (holy shit I sound old) and becoming more and more okay with digital. But I would love to be wrong.

I just watched the 22 minute promo video on YouTube. I don't know what I'm looking for but it just didn't have "it". I was kind of hyped about this one from all of the tech talks but so far, most of what I saw looked like generic flash. I've never played a Ratchet and Clank but it looked fun. Not worth it for a $500 system, but fun. GT7 looks amazing but I'm more of an arcade racer guy and Ridge Racer is more my style. I don't know. I haven't been following along with the game news to heavily but I was kind of hoping for a nice Street Figher or better, a new Tekken. Certainly a Tekken is in the works.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

Welcome to the final generation of physical media.

if they are launching with a digital only version it means there are going to be A LOT of digital only titles.

Imagine a world 30 years from now where the only way to play a ”retro” PS5 game is to either find a PS5 with it installed, or to pray the developers make a rerelease.

I've warned time and time again, if they ever stop doing games on physical media, then that's the end of the line for me for modern/current gaming.

22 minutes ago, Estil said:

I still have yet to see any good way to play (3)DS games on the TV 😞   At least the PSP 3000 can IIRC.

The Wii U was our best chance to do that and Nintendo passed on it.  Digitally it worked pretty well for a small number of games.  Sadly, I don't think we will ever have a good way to play actual physical 3DS games on a big screen TV.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Estil said:

I still have yet to see any good way to play (3)DS games on the TV 😞   At least the PSP 3000 can IIRC.

Woozle, the guy how developed the GBA Consolizer, is working on a DS consolizer.  I'm really hoping he moves into the 3DS after.  While not official we might be seeing mods for it soon enough.

If Sony stopped producing physical games, then I would like to think Nintendo would be smart to enough to keep physical games, and they can just monopolize like they did 80s. 

Does the Xbone play discs, I don't remember? There was something about it having to connect online otherwise it wouldn't work? I say to hell with a piece of crap machine like that. 

Honestly, I think there will always be some system with physical games. If all major publishers decide to go digital, I would be willing to support a company such as LRG and have them make their own niche system! 

3 hours ago, avatar! said:

If Sony stopped producing physical games, then I would like to think Nintendo would be smart to enough to keep physical games, and they can just monopolize like they did 80s. 

Does the Xbone play discs, I don't remember? There was something about it having to connect online otherwise it wouldn't work? I say to hell with a piece of crap machine like that. 

Nintendo is pushing hard to convert people to digital. They’ve got a whole section on their website somewhere about “the benefits of going digital.” Make no mistake, all three console manufacturers want this. Badly.

As for Microsoft, they reversed that mess almost immediately.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Strangest said:

Nintendo is pushing hard to convert people to digital. They’ve got a whole section on their website somewhere about “the benefits of going digital.” Make no mistake, all three console manufacturers want this. Badly.

We, as consumers, must push back. 

Does Microsoft require games to be "checked" online when first playing? I vaguely remember hearing about this. Or, can you purchase a system, not login online, and play the games right away (as nature intended)? 

2 minutes ago, avatar! said:

We, as consumers, must push back. 

Good luck getting enough people on board. The majority of consumers would probably welcome not having to wait for a game to ship or having to go to a store. Us weirdos and our physical collections are a dying breed.

Events Team · Posted
11 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Does Microsoft require games to be "checked" online when first playing? I vaguely remember hearing about this. Or, can you purchase a system, not login online, and play the games right away (as nature intended)? 

No and yes, as far as I'm aware. This was a controversy before the Xbone came out, which they quickly backtracked on when they realized that all the bad decisions they had made (Including but not limited to this one) had essentially handed Sony the win that generation.

6 minutes ago, jonebone said:

How many users are on this board, 1500ish? How many 10s of millions of people buy a AAA new game? Physical games will be dead by next generation and people need to accept this now or later. 

I refuse man, but it's definitely gonna happen at some point.  I think whenever it does I'll probably stop with modern gaming.  I love it for the smaller studios and indie developers but I want my damn Mario games or Halo or whatever on my shelf like a dirty hoarder!

3 minutes ago, jonebone said:

How many users are on this board, 1500ish? How many 10s of millions of people buy a AAA new game? Physical games will be dead by next generation and people need to accept this now or later. 

I'd go as far as to say I don't understand why they didn't do it for this generation. From a company's perspective, it reduces cost per unit of the product to remove that disc drive and increases profit gained on the games (assuming that the price stays the same) as they would be cutting out the middleman. On top of that, you'd think people would just be sick of having to install the game before they can play it as games just don't load straight from disc anymore as optical media is SLOW. 

Ultimately, by giving people a cost effective version, we are gonna see a move towards that. I'm gonna be honest, I'm thinking about just getting it for convenience. The only issue is that if the license expires and the game is removed from the store, then its gone forever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jonebone said:

I’m 100% all in for digital, as a collector it sucks but other than that it’s the future.

Cheaper hardware with less moving parts means more profits for the manufacturers.

Little to zero software costs means more profit for the developers.

Account Portability means more convenience for the consumer.

My only gripe is that laws need to catch up on digitally consumed content. Currently, digital content is NOT consumer friendly.

I want the right to sell my license to a game to a dealer, and for them in turn to also have the ability to resell it. Not having used games is just terrible, and promotes price creep.

I also want some sort of “guarantee of lifetime” meaning the publisher guarantees X amount of years of support, and availability to download these games to your hardware.

Last, libraries should not have the ability to be locked out of, or at the very least be entitled to a 100% refund if locked out.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, avatar! said:

Honestly, I think there will always be some system with physical games. If all major publishers decide to go digital, I would be willing to support a company such as LRG and have them make their own niche system! 

I agree that there will still be some that have physical disk drives until we make the leap from disc based medium to fully digital, like VHS to DVD.  Countless amounts of people like myself still use their playstation as their dvd/bluray player.  I have to throw in there are tons of people who don't even have basic internet access, let alone to means to purchase new games, relying on used physical copies.  But, the big players in the gaming industry might just push out that crowd anyways as they try to force all digital versions on the consumers.

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, jonebone said:

Yeah, I was gonna say, we are the extreme minority here.

4 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Yeah, I was gonna say, we are the extreme minority here.

Ya'll are wrong... kinda 😛

https://variety.com/2019/gaming/features/physical-video-games-death-disc-d

Simply saying physical games sales fell in revenue doesn’t consider the multitude of other factors. The disc isn’t dead...What happens if/when game consoles no longer offer a physical alternative? Does Limited Run continue? “We’ll continue to support older platforms for as long as we can and that will include PS4 and Switch when they become “legacy” platforms in the future. We released over one hundred games on the PlayStation Vita after that platform had long been considered dead by the mainstream, so I think we have a long future ahead of ourselves just in supporting these older platforms with more physical releases,” writes Josh Fairhust, co-founder of Limited Run.

Screenshot from 2020-06-13 14-25-45.png

I have to agree with @ThePhleo.  Digital is quickly becoming the way to go based on convenience.  I have no interest taking up shelf space with slow to install games that lack patches and other updates.  To make this comfortable we really need changes to policy.  I like that my steam library follows me across systems and time. I have even gone so far as to back up the library so I have a copy.

I cannot secure my rights to digital console games without resorting to questionable methods.  Likewise for movies/TV.  I would love a world where I can buy a DRM free movie and add it to my Plex library. 

I may get the disc drive version of the PS5 but it will only be for movies. Even then I am moving that to local streaming. 

Hopefully LRG and others can find a way to stay afloat when OEM manufacturers stop making the physical media.

Edited by zeppelin03

I really want to go all-digital for the next generation so I was considering the discless PS5. But then I realized I'm gonna want backwards compatibility for all the PS4 games I never played, so I guess I'm stuck with the fat-bottomed behemoth. 😑

It would be really cool if they offered a disc-to-digital authentication program. Put a disc into your PS4 which authenticates it to your account, then download and play on your PS5 for some predetermined amount of time. Once per year would be great for the consumer, but easy to exploit. I'd be happy with once per month. Any more than that would be ridiculous.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, The Strangest said:

yes they all want complete power and control over the game market. You give them that with digital. With timed licenses etc, I just dont like the digital future. They own you buy the balls with it for the sake of a smidge of convenience? No thank you. People spending the same full amount on a digital title I just smh at.

The fact you have a few people on here want to go digital. ughhh. just gross. 

And Lmao to phleo thinking it means lower potential prices. LUL

Edited by Quest4Nes
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Quest4Nes said:

yes they all want complete power and control over the game market. You give them that with digital. With timed licenses etc, I just dont like the digital future. They own you buy the balls with it for the sake of a smidge of convenience?

Most game consumers play a game for a few months and then never play it again when the next shiny new thing comes along. Digital plays right into that.

In all cases I guess I am "gross" for going digital. So I'll not say anything more since I don't want to "gross" anybody else out with what I had to say about that. 😛

But if I did say anything it would be that Resident Evil VIII is the only game I would consider buying if I was to expand my physical game plans into that generation. But I have to wait and see since I am mapping out my current goals for the time being. 🎮

Edited by FenrirZero
  • Like 1