IGNORED

PS5

26 minutes ago, fox said:

How much does a disc drive cost?  Has to be less than $100

6 minutes ago, zeppelin03 said:

I bought a 4K drive for my PC last year at $100.  If I recall correctly most of the difference between the 4k and regular models was firmware.  I bet Sony could get them for a lot less.

Most people seem to be estimating about $50 at wholesale pricing. The real cost savings is in the GPU, though.

40 minutes ago, avatar! said:

France is screwed once the PS5 is released 😛 

https://www.ccn.com/a-100-ps4-firesale-goes-horribly-wrong-as-police-tear-gas-gamers/

Seriously though, I know money can be tight, but the lengths some people go for something so unnecessary... I don't understand that mentality. 

Screenshot from 2020-06-17 21-51-41.png

Beavis: Yeah!  FIREsales rule!!

0e986ed658f96d682136d71e555f3758.jpg

31 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Xbox did say the will have time in July to focus on Xbox Game Studios titles.  I'm really hoping that is a strong presentation.  They have so many new studios.  This is their chance to get a good start into next gen.  Otherwise I think its another big lead for Sony.

49 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Exactly what advantages does Xbone have over the PS5??

Anyone? 

The only advantage is more teraflops, but PS5 has the advantage of SSD.  So it depends what developers are going to get more mileage out of.

Both have backwards compatibility.

As for smart delivery, Sony has been cross-buy since 2012 on PS3.

It comes down to the games and Microsoft has no exclusives coming out for the first year.

”Launch Game Advantage” LOL.

1 hour ago, avatar! said:

40 minutes ago, fox said:

The only advantage is more teraflops, but PS5 has the advantage of SSD.  So it depends what developers are going to get more mileage out of.

Both have backwards compatibility.

As for smart delivery, Sony has been cross-buy since 2012 on PS3.

It comes down to the games and Microsoft has no exclusives coming out for the first year.

”Launch Game Advantage” LOL.

The XSX hardware is definitively more powerful and not by a small amount. Sony tried to swing their variable clock rates as a good thing, but in reality it will make performance and temperature profile much less predictable. This is problematic for cooling and is probably the reason they had to go with that wacky, huge design. Sony does have an advantage on the SSD and while that may lead to faster loading, it seems unlikely it will lead to any significant performance advantages in-game. I'd expect exclusives to look and play great on both consoles, with a resolution and framerate advantage going to XSX for third party games.

In terms of backward compatibility, MS is way ahead. Sony's messaging has been muddled at best and it remains unclear what will be available from the PS4 generation. I suspect they considered PS/PS2/PS3 backwards compatibility, but nixed it as costs for the console inflated. I consider this a HUGE advantage for MS, but the average gamer probably doesn't care much about playing 360 and original Xbox games. That being said, it's nice to know MS will have essentially all Xbox One games working at launch while Sony is still "testing" for compatibility.

Smart Delivery is a great marketing term, but, as you pointed out, it doesn't really mean much without universal adoption from third party publishers. Also, it's not new technology as Xbox already has this function for games that are Xbox One X enhanced and Sony has it for Pro enhanced games. This is just the first time that it is advertised as a cross-generational function. It is cool that you won't have to worry about getting the wrong version of a game since the box will basically just say Xbox One/XSX and the console does the rest.

As for games, well we can't say much about that until after the July showcase from MS and the launch lineups are announced. I will say that my most anticipated games so far are Halo, Hellblade 2, and The Ascent. I thought Horizon 2 looked cool from Sony (I still need to play the original), but other than that, I wasn't impressed by their very family-friendly, indie showcase. Also, it seems likely that most big Sony exclusives won't launch until 2021 or 2022. I'm not huge into the big Sony single-player experiences, no matter how expertly crafted they are, so you can see my bias here.

If I had to guess, I'd say Microsoft's launch lineup will be better (similar to Xbox One vs PS4), but Sony's first-party stable will swing the advantage towards PS5 as the generation evolves. That being said, I'm really looking forward to hearing about all the XGS games and I hope they offer a big variety of experiences rather than just a few AAA games. A new Fable would be cool, although I'm lukewarm on another Perfect Dark.

So basically I'm pretty fired up about a new generation! I will definitely buy and enjoy both consoles.

Edited by DoctorEncore

Here's, my question--to what extent will developers make use of all of these fancy PS5 features that the XB won't have when they have to cross-develop this stuff?  Exclusive titles may be awesome but when you have to engineer and entirely new game layer to access game data in two separate ways for a single game, how with that play out?  I mean, we're not talking about system X has a faster CPU but slower GPU.  Gaming devs have been working through those types of hurdles for decades.  But if the SONY system can really be many orders of magnitude better, that means that the X-Box titles will have to have special load transitions built into games.  Not to mention, XB games might be bigger in size since as the SONY tech demos point out, they will have to have the same assets duplicated in the various chunks loaded from the games for the XB titles.  Will studios care enough to engineer those changes, or will it be to complex to diverge those games.  With time, just about all issues may be fixed but when you are rushed to develop and get a game out, developers tend to go with the least-common-denominator.  In the end, that could mean the XB games will look and play better than PS5 games because the first series of games will not cater to the special hardware profile of the PS5, but since it's a tad slower in raw power, it's going to make the XB shine really, really well for the first year or so.

This sounds really familiar... have we heard or seen something like this in the 90s?

2 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

The XSX hardware is definitively more powerful and not by a small amount. Sony tried to swing their variable clock rates as a good thing, but in reality it will make performance and temperature profile much less predictable. This is problematic for cooling and is probably the reason they had to go with that wacky, huge design. Sony does have an advantage on the SSD and while that may lead to faster loading, it seems unlikely it will lead to any significant performance advantages in-game. I'd expect exclusives to look and play great on both consoles, with a resolution and framerate advantage going to XSX for third party games.

In terms of backward compatibility, MS is way ahead. Sony's messaging has been muddled at best and it remains unclear what will be available from the PS4 generation. I suspect they considered PS/PS2/PS3 backwards compatibility, but nixed it as costs for the console inflated. I consider this a HUGE advantage for MS, but the average gamer probably doesn't care much about playing 360 and original Xbox games. That being said, it's nice to know MS will have essentially all Xbox One games working at launch while Sony is still "testing" for compatibility.

Smart Delivery is a great marketing term, but, as you pointed out, it doesn't really mean much without universal adoption from third party publishers. Also, it's not new technology as Xbox already has this function for games that are Xbox One X enhanced and Sony has it for Pro enhanced games. This is just the first time that it is advertised as a cross-generational function. It is cool that you won't have to worry about getting the wrong version of a game since the box will basically just say Xbox One/XSX and the console does the rest.

As for games, well we can't say much about that until after the July showcase from MS and the launch lineups are announced. I will say that my most anticipated games so far are Halo, Hellblade 2, and The Ascent. I thought Horizon 2 looked cool from Sony (I still need to play the original), but other than that, I wasn't impressed by their very family-friendly, indie showcase. Also, it seems likely that most big Sony exclusives won't launch until 2021 or 2022. I'm not huge into the big Sony single-player experiences, no matter how expertly crafted they are, so you can see my bias here.

If I had to guess, I'd say Microsoft's launch lineup will be better (similar to Xbox One vs PS4), but Sony's first-party stable will swing the advantage towards PS5 as the generation evolves. That being said, I'm really looking forward to hearing about all the XGS games and I hope they offer a big variety of experiences rather than just a few AAA games. A new Fable would be cool, although I'm lukewarm on another Perfect Dark.

So basically I'm pretty fired up about a new generation! I will definitely buy and enjoy both consoles.

Microsoft has been doing backward compatibility well for years.  I look forward to Sony clearing up what their offering will be.  Until it is explained I am not really considering it a factor.  Sony saying they have tested games and have a number of titles working is a lot different than telling us how it works.  Are we relying on downloads of the titles from a server or is it going to install off discs?  Will they allow games to run that aren't optimized?  How many gens are supported?  I hear people say full backwards compatibility, but I'm still waiting on concrete details from Sony.  Hopefully soon.

I think Xbox will show us quite a few exclusives next month to even things up as far as titles go.  After a conference I always check what platforms are getting a game I am interested in.  A good number of those games from the Playstation reveal where multi platform.  Keeping that in mind they only showed a few games that are true exclusives.  I'm not sure how Horizon, Ratchet, Spiderman, and Demon Souls are a lot more exclusives than Xbox is bringing.

The whole lead in to next gen is even as I see it.  Each console has some perks but devs will likely standardize as @RH said.  The treatment of exclusives will definitely be interesting.  My only concern is switch.  A large chunk of their 3rd party is last gen ports already.  Once next gen gets rolling I expect new 3rd party to dry up outside of indies and older titles.  I'm ready for the Switch 2 already.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, zeppelin03 said:

Microsoft has been doing backward compatibility well for years.  I look forward to Sony clearing up what their offering will be.  Until it is explained I am not really considering it a factor.  Sony saying they have tested games and have a number of titles working is a lot different than telling us how it works.  Are we relying on downloads of the titles from a server or is it going to install off discs?  Will they allow games to run that aren't optimized?  How many gens are supported?  I hear people say full backwards compatibility, but I'm still waiting on concrete details from Sony.  Hopefully soon.

I think Xbox will show us quite a few exclusives next month to even things up as far as titles go.  After a conference I always check what platforms are getting a game I am interested in.  A good number of those games from the Playstation reveal where multi platform.  Keeping that in mind they only showed a few games that are true exclusives.  I'm not sure how Horizon, Ratchet, Spiderman, and Demon Souls are a lot more exclusives than Xbox is bringing.

The whole lead in to next gen is even as I see it.  Each console has some perks but devs will likely standardize as @RH said.  The treatment of exclusives will definitely be interesting.  My only concern is switch.  A large chunk of their 3rd party is last gen ports already.  Once next gen gets rolling I expect new 3rd party to dry up outside of indies and older titles.  I'm ready for the Switch 2 already.

I was pretty convinced we'd see a Switch Pro in 2021 but with how those things are flying off the shelves, maybe Nintendo can afford to push it to 2022? Regardless, with how far behind the hardware is, big third party titles are gonna to be getting very scarce, very quickly.

• Like 1

I’m totally unsure which console to get at this point. I have noticed that I’m moving away from online play and FPS, so that makes me lean towards PS5.

However, I’m not big into open world games or these interactive cinema type games. With that said, the Demon Souls remake is right up my ally. I do enjoy the the Souls style games, some fighting games, and the smaller scale action adventure games like Arkham Asylum and City. I love the Switch for retro and simpler games. Nintendo hits the sweet spot for me with quality games that aren’t cumbersome.

With PS3 and PS4, most of my gaming experiences felt like a chore or a job. It’s fun to play with friends or my brothers online, but we have families and other things that take precedent over playing hours/days of online games full of grinding. Those games just aren’t very fun playing with ransoms for an hour here or there. I’m afraid that Xbox caters towards that type of audience. I’m also afraid that PS5 is too much open world time suck. I like JRPGs and will let those be my time suck on occasion, but I really need a game like Prince of Persia Sands of Time, RE, or Dead Space to fill my playing time.

14 minutes ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

I’m totally unsure which console to get at this point. I have noticed that I’m moving away from online play and FPS, so that makes me lean towards PS5.

However, I’m not big into open world games or these interactive cinema type games. With that said, the Demon Souls remake is right up my ally. I do enjoy the the Souls style games, some fighting games, and the smaller scale action adventure games like Arkham Asylum and City. I love the Switch for retro and simpler games. Nintendo hits the sweet spot for me with quality games that aren’t cumbersome.

With PS3 and PS4, most of my gaming experiences felt like a chore or a job. It’s fun to play with friends or my brothers online, but we have families and other things that take precedent over playing hours/days of online games full of grinding. Those games just aren’t very fun playing with ransoms for an hour here or there. I’m afraid that Xbox caters towards that type of audience. I’m also afraid that PS5 is too much open world time suck. I like JRPGs and will let those be my time suck on occasion, but I really need a game like Prince of Persia Sands of Time, RE, or Dead Space to fill my playing time.

I was big into Call of Duty and big open world games( Elder Scrolls, Fallout, etc).  I'm getting worn on a lot of that too.  With that said I have favored Switch mostly recently. Xbox has FPS games I don't want and Sony is narrative driven that bores me often enough. Thankfully the new consoles will likely have a drought of new and interesting stuff giving us all time to consider our console choice.  Cross gen will likely carry us for a year or two.

Edited by zeppelin03
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

I think a lot of us are having these same types of issue as we get older and our families/jobs take up more of our time. I always buy both consoles, but I've been gravitating more and more towards Xbox because of Game Pass. I think the variety it offers has really kept me interested in gaming as a hobby. Just in the last few months I played Gears 5, Bleeding Edge, Outer Wilds, and Blazing Chrome. I would never jump from genre to genre like that if I had to pay for each game. And since it's a subscription service, I never feel like I have to finish a game if I'm not enjoying it. I don't have PS Now, but I presume it offers a similar experience. I just happen to like the Xbox ecosystem and it's where most of my friends and family play.

I still like to play a big AAA game every now and then, so I'll throw in one of the big PS4 exclusives (Spider-Man is in my console right now) when I get the urge. But if I had to pick only one console, it would be Xbox just because of the value of Game Pass.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

I think it is pretty cool that companies like CDPR and Ubisoft are supporting something pro-consumer.  These things are case by case, but hope this becomes the new standard.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

I will say that I also miss gaming as a family event. Maybe when my kids are older we will be able to enjoy that. There’s just an energy when you’re playing a game with someone in the same room, even when they may piss you off, lol.

Get an arcade. The experience is awesome and each one is meant to be played 2 people.

1 hour ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

With that said, the Demon Souls remake is right up my ally. I do enjoy the the Souls style games, some fighting games, and the smaller scale action adventure games like Arkham Asylum and City.

Demons Souls is great, if nothing else it is great to see the start of the Souls series.  Not quite as refined as Bloodborne, but Demons had some really unique ideas of its own and some of the best level design bar none.  I wonder if the remake is going to restore the 6th archstone.

Spider-Man is a really tight superhero game.  Picked up where the Arkham games left off, just with a different set of powers to play with.

Xbox can wave all of their fancy performance upgrades and specs in my face all they want, but what it boils down to is the games and if they show out this generation like they did last, I won’t see much reason to choose Xbox over PlayStation. Again.

You could play almost everything worth playing on Xbox on your PS4. And for the short list of exclusives that you couldn’t, you could get them on PC.

I just don’t see Xbox’s target audience. They’re trying to goad people who want the best specs... but those people will probably just play on a PC? If you want the best performance, you generally go PC. If you’re someone who wants the best library on console, you typically go PlayStation. So where does Xbox fit?

25 minutes ago, The Strangest said:

Xbox can wave all of their fancy performance upgrades and specs in my face all they want, but what it boils down to is the games and if they show out this generation like they did last, I won’t see much reason to choose Xbox over PlayStation. Again.

You could play almost everything worth playing on Xbox on your PS4. And for the short list of exclusives that you couldn’t, you could get them on PC.

I just don’t see Xbox’s target audience. They’re trying to goad people who want the best specs... but those people will probably just play on a PC? If you want the best performance, you generally go PC. If you’re someone who wants the best library on console, you typically go PlayStation. So where does Xbox fit?

Different strokes for different folks, but I'd rather play Ori, Cuphead, Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, Halo (MCC, not 4 or 5... bleck), and Forza than any of the big name PS4 exclusives. I don't think those PS4 games are bad, but they all have a very similar feel to them, and I say that as someone who has played many of them (Uncharted, God of War,  Spider-Man, etc). And I don't want to be forced to connect a PC to my TV and go through Windows 10 or use Steam Link or some other hackneyed solution to play these games. Also, most of the games sold and played are actually third party and no one on earth has time to play every single game that comes out.

So, in response, their target audience is someone who likes the games they produce and doesn't want to game on a PC. Or perhaps someone who just likes third party games and wants the most powerful machine (at least when we talk about the One X and maybe XSX, although I won't jump to conclusions just yet). Or maybe just someone who likes their perks and ecosystem better (Xbox Live, Games with Gold, Game Pass).

I know PS5 blew Xbox out of the water in terms of sales (~100 million), but 40-50 million consoles is a significant number of humans playing Xbox games.  I mean, that's more than the SNES (~50 million), Genesis, Xbox, N64, Gamecube, Vita, Saturn, Dreamcast, or Wii U sold. 🤷‍♂️

I'm not trying to defend them or shill for them. I don't owe multi-billion dollar corporations anything. But I do think they make a good product and they're doing some really consumer-friendly things right now.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 3