IGNORED

What are some of your UNpopular video game opinions? (real ones, not just ones for the sake of trolling or something)

Estil

9 hours ago, RH said:

I personally agree with this too.  I own most of the games I'd ever want to play and I MUCH prefer to play on OG, unmodded hardware, but emulators keep the old stuff alive that we've not seen released in 20+ years.  I can even say that there have been "classic" titles that have been remade or re-released, and I've bought them for support of that type of preservation.

I know there are laws, I agree with following them, and I think publishers should be allowed to profit off of their media and franchises.  With that said though, emulating for the sake of experiencing something you might not otherwise have any way of experiencing is akin to speeding.  If you go 56 in a 55 (much less 60 in a 55) are you breaking the law?  Yes.  Do you care? No.  Does the law care much? Not unless they need to meet a quota.

Use it (emulation and downloaded ROMs) but don't abuse it. My $.02 as well.

Yes indeed.  The spirit of the law counts just as much if not more than the letter of the law.  I really tried my best to pull up a clip/transcript/quote of this but in the Andy Griffith episode Runaway Kid (S01E06) Andy explains this to Opie using an example of if you see a man in danger of drowning in a lake, do you go save him even though there's a law/rule/sign that clearly says, "No Swimming Allowed"?

And you know that really infamous anti-piracy PSA about "you wouldn't steal a car/CD?"...well the correct analogy would be that of using an already lit candle to light your own.  Look, there most definitely does need to be laws about copyright/piracy and all that to protect sales and quality/integrity of the original product (no one wants to get stuck with cheap knock-offs for example).  But at the same time it's far more important to preserve history, even if it means bending this some.  I mean, if it weren't for so called "piracy" of vintage software (video/computer games or other software), it might be lost forever...like all those old films that were lost forever (especially the silent era ones) because people didn't think they were worth saving for posterity. 😛 

Look, I use original hardware for sure, and I got most all the main blue chip cartridges/discs.  I did my part to support Nintendo/Sega/whatever.  But there is nothing wrong with using Everdrives to have the convenience of playing whatever game I want without wear/tear on the cartridge or cartridge slot or risk scratching/printing the disc as well as to be able to do things like BS-X games (like the Picross ones) or imports/homebrews/hacks that would otherwise not be possible/practical.

Or as Jimbo would say in the South Park flag episode, I'm not doing any "piracy" with anything that's currently on the market or anything...this is about history!  This is about preserving history, and that's the kind of "piracy" I wholeheartedly support.

49 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

@Estil yeah, that was a rough week.  I was forced to play the other million video games/systems we have nowadays since everything is so dirt cheap.

To borrow a quote from Home Improvement, there is a big difference between the 360 and those "other" games/systems.

At the end of the day, those other systems still work! 😄 

4 hours ago, Gary Hobbesworth said:

So why do Game Boy Color games sound worse than both?

Wait a sec, are we talking about from the GBC's speaker, or from headphones, or from the Game Boy Player (or Super Game Boy for a GB/SGB title)...because those are VERY different things.

Editorials Team · Posted
8 minutes ago, Estil said:

To borrow a quote from Home Improvement, there is a big difference between the 360 and those "other" games/systems.

At the end of the day, those other systems still work! 😄 

Which ones?  The PS2 and its disc read problems? The N64 and its busted-ass joysticks?  The NES and it's boiled pins?  The upside down PS1?  The Switch's drift?  The PSP's dead pixels?  The Sega CDs... everything.

Why don't you ask gloves how many PS3s he went through.

The 360 is one of the few consoles where the stakeholders ate crow, accepted responsibility, and bent over backwards to try and make it up to the consumer.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Which ones?  The PS2 and its disc read problems? The N64 and its busted-ass joysticks?  The NES and it's boiled pins?  The upside down PS1?  The Switch's drift?  The PSP's dead pixels?  The Sega CDs... everything.

The 360 is one of the few consoles where the stakeholders ate crow, accepted responsibility, and bent over backwards to try and make it up to the consumer.

4b1vkm.jpg

• Like 4

On 8/7/2020 at 5:37 PM, Aguy said:

Game Boy Color is it's own system, and the OG Game Boy has a better soundchip than the NES.

I didn't know that was considered unpopular to think that.  I was pretty certain going by Nintendo's own babbling for decades now that the GBC was its own system, even if it was a beefy upgrade.  Looking back though it was a succession deal just like how Gamecube turned into Wii (motion aside, hardware boost related thought here.)  I'm not certain the GB has a better sound chip though, that's definitely one for the unpopular. 😄

Events Team · Posted
3 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

...Or the Super Nintendo with its shitty yellow plastic and faulty PPU.  (I like how you left that one out. 😉)

Occasional pin contact issues aside, I been had my original Nintendo for 30 years and it fired up just fine the other day.  It's the only console I've ever had that got serious playtime and still runs like a champ.

I've had 2 2600s, 2 Supers (bad PPU), 2 PS2s, 2 PSPs, 3 GBAs (2 SPs), 2 DSs, 2 PS3s (Launch 60 gig didn't work straight out the box), 3 360s, and a Switch with joycons that wander harder than a hobbit across 3 boring ass movies.

I love the 360 and if I could boil the fucking RRD to get it working again, it'd be on the stove every spaghetti night.

The og Gameboy (I don't own one anymore) and the PS Vita are the only others that hold a candle.  And the Vita has at least another decade of service before I can consider it in the running.

Edited by JamesRobot
  • Like 3

Editorials Team · Posted

I love the OG Game Boy, and yeah it's built like a tank, but in all fairness there's a huge amount of them that now have vertical lines of dead pixels on the display (fixable) or leaky LCD's (not fixable.) But those problems were basically non-existent during the actual lifespan of the system. Yeah, RROD's were awful, but they owned up to it way more than Nintendo is owning up to the joycon drift, which totally makes lots of games unplayable.

1 hour ago, JamesRobot said:

joycons that wander harder than a hobbit across 3 boring ass movies.

BOOM double roast.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Splain said:

I love the OG Game Boy, and yeah it's built like a tank, but in all fairness there's a huge amount of them that now have vertical lines of dead pixels on the display (fixable) or leaky LCD's (not fixable.) But those problems were basically non-existent during the actual lifespan of the system. 

I wondered when that would come up. No hardware can be absolutely perfect so seeing some flaws/problems showing up with time should be expected for all hardware. Regardless, I would assume that at the top of the longevity pile probably sits the Game Boy and I could be wrong, but I assume those LCD leaks and dead pixels probably popped up early on after rougher handling of those units.

But no sweat. It was all in jest.

10 minutes ago, RH said:

I wondered when that would come up. No hardware can be absolutely perfect so seeing some flaws/problems showing up with time should be expected for all hardware. Regardless, I would assume that at the top of the longevity pile probably sits the Game Boy and I could be wrong, but I assume those LCD leaks and dead pixels probably popped up early on after rougher handling of those units.

But no sweat. It was all in jest.

Without the internet I wasn't hearing too many peoples experiences with Nintendo products back then.  If we had forums and social media I bet we would have heard about a lot more faulty product.

Edited by zeppelin03

11 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

...Or the Super Nintendo with its shitty yellow plastic and faulty PPU.  (I like how you left that one out. 😉)

I'm pretty sure he left that out because, compared to the other issues he listed, that's pretty much a non-issue.  

Or to put it another way, if yellowing plastic is the worst quality issue you have to worry about, you are in pretty good shape.  I'll take yellow plastic over anything that bricks a system any day.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

when people say : "ive never sold a single one of my video games"

who gives a shit. here ya go 🍪

Are you really giving out cookies?  If so, I've never sold a single one of my video games.

Unless you are giving out oatmeal cookies.  In that case, I'm a dirty reseller.  

• Haha 2

On 4/25/2020 at 9:38 PM, BouncekDeLemos said:

I still feel that Star Fox on the Super Nintendo still holds up to this day. At least for me. Low polys and framerate don't bother me. I even like it better than the Nintendo 64 version, and I actually love the 64 version. 

Also, I do not like Tifa's new look in the new Final Fantasy 7 remake. I feel that giving her stockings, shorts under her skirt, black undershirt... is kinda prudish. 

The irony is that as graphics have gotten better and systems more impressive, the content that is allowed has grown more repressed, as it suddenly looks "too real" and is not acceptable. In particular, CERO is heavily against sexual imagery in games as of late, and it affects all kinds of things which were seen in the past as being more innocuous. It''s the main reason that Mai Shiranui doesn't show up in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, for example. Plus games are taken a little more seriously as "big business", it's not just a bunch of guys doing what they see as temp work without much value behind it.

On 4/28/2020 at 3:27 AM, OptOut said:

As for my actual unpopular opinion, well... Here goes...

A Link to the Past is boring. Not a fan.

I think I'm gonna get a lot of shit for this one, lol! 😅

I agree totally, it's one I only finished once and never revisit. I can't comprehend how people keep playing it over and over, but I do notice that all the zelda randomizers are designed to let you skip the trash parts like Zelda handholding you to the castle, so my guess is often that people who really love it have played it so much in recent times through modified forms, that they have forgotten those kinds of things. Either way, I'll take Zelda 1 and 2 over it any day. Or I'll take Link Between Worlds, it played much better and was more fun.

For me, it's the following:

• The NES is far superior to the SNES, especially for Nintendo, Konami, and Capcom releases. Super Nintendo? More like Slowdown Neverending! RPG gamers need not apply, do as Yamauchi said and stay in your basements 😛
  • The 3DS is one of the best systems ever made, in part because you can play every DS game on it, but also for the 3D feature and for its own wide range of good games
  • This is unpopular in the VR world, but I think oculus quest blows every other VR system out of the water, and that PC VR in particular is better described as a caged animal simulator, since you get to 1) build your cage of sensors, 2) hang a heavy cord from your face, and 3) stay in your one dedicated VR room and never leave. When you compare it to the effortless setup, portability, and wireless freedom of the quest, and with the much easier development and distribution for homebrewers, AND with the actually reasonable cost of entry, you get a far superior product and a far superior platform for making and playing games. I've owned a Vive and I own a Rift, and I sold the Vive and put the Rift away a long time ago, and I have no reason to ever want to entomb myself in their cage models again. Quest makes those game hardwares feel like the stone age.
  • Similarly, I can't take FPS seriously now that I've done VR shooters. When you are "really there" and holding a gun and aiming down sights and reloading it the real way, even if it's dumbed down heavily for video games, it just blows the pancake (VR name for games played on a monitor or TV) shooters out of the water. I can't help but see every pancake FPS as just a stupid floating arm simulator, where you watch little movies to reload or to duck or to do all manner of things. Compared to VR it all feels like a kid's toy, a joke, total nonsense. I still accept TPS though, they feel "normal" still. FPS I just can't play much anymore, barring a few I really like, if they're not VR.
  • and since I'm thinking of it, I'm probably one of the only people who hated valve even back when they were actually making games. I never liked script-life or script-life 2: cliffhanger edition, portal wasn't interesting enough to finish, and I can't imagine how they sold people a sequel just because it had a new plot. I did enjoy messing around on a joke server in TF2 though, so not all bad, but overall I think they are incredibly overrated and I really hate how steam fully established DRM platforms as the only way to go forward for PC gaming. Sure they saved PC as a platform, but for what, to see it turn into console port sloppy seconds mixed with whatever indies can't afford to release elsewhere? And with itch.io the latter point starts to feel less valid to me. I pretty much only use steam at this point to play Lost Planet 2.
  • Super Mario Kart is by far the best Mario Kart game, and one of the main exceptions to my general dislike for the SNES mentioned above.
  • There aren't any good Zelda games released between Ocarina of Time and Link Between Worlds, except for Four Swords on GBA which was a decently fun game.

Of course all the above are stated as opinions that will bother others, and are made less than soft to match. They're also dated to this point in time, so don't expect them to last into perpetuity.

7 hours ago, koifish said:

The irony is that as graphics have gotten better and systems more impressive, the content that is allowed has grown more repressed, as it suddenly looks "too real" and is not acceptable. In particular, CERO is heavily against sexual imagery in games as of late, and it affects all kinds of things which were seen in the past as being more innocuous. It''s the main reason that Mai Shiranui doesn't show up in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, for example. Plus games are taken a little more seriously as "big business", it's not just a bunch of guys doing what they see as temp work without much value behind it.

I'm actually surprised that Bayonetta is in Smash. Did they make her a bit more different/less lewd in the way she wears and "uses" her outfit? 

I miss the old days man. When the term "sex sells" meant something. lol

12 hours ago, BouncekDeLemos said:

I'm actually surprised that Bayonetta is in Smash. Did they make her a bit more different/less lewd in the way she wears and "uses" her outfit? 

If I recall correctly, they did change some things, but I don't want to pretend to know for sure. I never played bayonetta much as its not the kind of game I tend to play. Besides, bayonetta's sexuality is more in her movements and in her personality. If the upskirt fog in Ultimate is any indication, then what CERO cares more about seems to be static images that could be made and distributed.

Also, I forgot to mention another victim of this expansion and repression, which is violence in japanese games. I remember reading an interview with one of the directors of one of the house of the dead games. He said the biggest problem with house of the dead in modern terms was that graphics got more realistic, and suddenly the gore of blowing zombie bodies apart grew too much for the ratings board. That's a shame, but ultimately it's hard to survive in games if you don't hit the right audience, and I'm guessing super gore gets your rating bumped too high nowadays.

Edited by koifish
added bit about violent games
  • Like 1

On 8/18/2020 at 12:41 AM, BouncekDeLemos said:

I'm not sure what you're missing, because that element is probably more rampant than ever. Have you even seen the Vita library?

I don't mind sexy characters (I like bobs as much as the next guy), but turning it into pandering or cheap cash grabs is juevnile and embarassing.

Edited by Sumez

16 hours ago, Sumez said:

I'm not sure what you're missing, because that element is probably more rampant than ever. Have you even seen the Vita library?

I don't mind sexy characters (I like bobs as much as the next guy), but turning it into pandering or cheap cash grabs is juevnile and embarassing.

Haven't seen the Vita library much. I'm sure it has it's share of censorship and unrealeases over to the west due to Sony's strict guidelines.