IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - Yoshi's Cookie

BeaIank

41 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Any progress?

Galaga has always been one of my favorites, especially the original arcade, but I'm terrible at it.

You might want to start practicing Millipede.

ive gotten better but still not very good. 

i only have time to really focus on a couple titles. gradius ill have to play now and then zombie nation. hopefully i can get decent at both of them. 

i will focus on millipede and the others shooters the week of.

8 hours ago, Richardhead said:

With all the craziness in the world right now, I am happy and grateful that this contest is happening. Maybe we could start some chat app thing at some point and play some games together.  Meanwhile, here in Colorado, dispensaries are almost giving pot away. Got 10 joints today for $17.

image.jpg

Whoa thats a nice deal.    Those look like pretty good fat joints too.   The ones at the stores here are Trailblazer brand and they're not great, too much filter and although theyve gotten better they still dont burn well.   They're like 7 or 8 bucks apiece too.   I always just opt for 1/8's.  

A discord server specifically for the contests would be pretty hype.   Specially if everyones getting baked

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Krunch said:

Whoa thats a nice deal.    Those look like pretty good fat joints too.   The ones at the stores here are Trailblazer brand and they're not great, too much filter and although theyve gotten better they still dont burn well.   They're like 7 or 8 bucks apiece too.   I always just opt for 1/8's.  

A discord server specifically for the contests would be pretty hype.   Specially if everyones getting baked

nothing better than rolling your own

10 hours ago, Splain said:

Welp. I broke 100k but still nowhere near DEAFC0DE's score. Gives me flashbacks of the GB contest. "Hey, I did pretty good that time!" Well too bad, Deaf did better lol. Dude's a machine.

Nice! 100k beats the winning score last time this game was in a competition. What strategy are you going with? 

I haven't played at all since Wednesday I think, but I'll be playing again tomorrow to try to go for 200k.

48 minutes ago, arnpoly said:

Just casual play. Annoyed that I didn’t actually finish the game.

Nice score.   I hadn't taken your score into account going through scores earlier, guess im 6th now.   Bad start for the puzzle genre on my end, but this game just frustrates me too much I cant even play any more.   I always seem to not be playing the years we get Yoshi 😟

My biggest problem with this type of puzzle game is that they're so tedious, that I just get bored and unattentive after a while. After all, it's always the same for one level after another. And trying to get as many points as possible drags the game out even longer.

But at least I got a new score on page 2. Currently at about 90k.

Well, I nearly got 200k... in the first two levels. I was right about 50560 being the max combo without yoshi. But I realized it wouldn't be too hard to clear a couple of lines before finishing the combo set up to get a yoshi. The nice thing of the yoshis is that they take away some cookie luck at the cost of skill. So I set off to get the max combo + yoshi on 1-1 and 1-2. On the run the finally did it, I slightly screwed up 1-1. But when I built back up, I had three yoshis. Putting two in the last row (40*2048) and one below that, I got a 122k combo. Then for 1-2 I put one yoshi in the last row for score of 197k in total. After that I played pretty conservatively, but managed to make it to 8-10 before dying with 286k.

300k is easily possible (I wouldn't be surprised if 400k was too) but I think I've had enough as the runs are so long. 

• Wow! 2

22 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

Well, I nearly got 200k... in the first two levels. I was right about 50560 being the max combo without yoshi. But I realized it wouldn't be too hard to clear a couple of lines before finishing the combo set up to get a yoshi. The nice thing of the yoshis is that they take away some cookie luck at the cost of skill. So I set off to get the max combo + yoshi on 1-1 and 1-2. On the run the finally did it, I slightly screwed up 1-1. But when I built back up, I had three yoshis. Putting two in the last row (40*2048) and one below that, I got a 122k combo. Then for 1-2 I put one yoshi in the last row for score of 197k in total. After that I played pretty conservatively, but managed to make it to 8-10 before dying with 286k.

300k is easily possible (I wouldn't be surprised if 400k was too) but I think I've had enough as the runs are so long. 

I wold love to see a video of the first level combo because I tried for a long time and couldn't get it to happen at all. And there is absolutely nothing on the internet about how to pull off these combos.

• Like 1

@mbd39

From video description:

Sorry for the flashy video. I don't have a capture card and I don't know how to film a crt properly. Also I just realized that using an emulator would have been much easier. 

The goal is to get 5 columns of 7 followed by 7 rows of 2 and have a yoshi in the top right row of two. I normally use pause strats when making the rows of 2, but for the sake of the video I tried not to use them. The RNG for the last two rows was pretty lucky though, it normally takes several more moves. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

42 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

@mbd39

From video description:

Okay, the concept of what you're doing isn't hard to grasp. Now I've watched you do it. Awesome. But to be able to ACTUALLY do this puts you way ahead of basically everyone anywhere ever. This must be what it's like when I try to explain writing computer exploits using shell code by hand to a novice. 😄 GREAT FREAKING JOB!

• Thanks 1

Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

With regard to Klax there's no luck involved in setting up huge combos. The rng is entirely deterministic and predictable. You can just keep resetting until you get the right pieces and then you know exactly what to do.

Klax is just awesome like that.