IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - Yoshi's Cookie

BeaIank

7 hours ago, guillavoie said:

What's up with all that wear on the Kickle figurines? I think you're playing too rough with them skinny, you got to be more gentle with your Kickles!

there is a four year old female version of the grinder around that likes to "play" with dads toys too 🙂 

jk but she has "modified" (you know missing arm or ... heads , heads ripped off everywhere around here rotfl i love it ❤️👨👧) a vintage turtle/tranformer (hot shot is surprisingly durable actually) or two lol

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

Broke 150k now (picture on page 1). I figured out how to get 40k+ in the first level (in one combo). I might be able to get it to work on other slow levels but I've had to bail out so far. 

Edit: I just started another game and got a 50560 combo ending with a 10x2048. I believe this is the max possible combo without using the bonus yoshis. Pictures for fun below. 

Reveal hidden contents

IMG_20200318_221828.thumb.jpg.6c9d0f8d2061c39de6fa6954b024dd74.jpgIMG_20200318_221832.thumb.jpg.1ce98d93262631c00e1a9c24b9087042.jpg

Edit 2: updated again to 185k. I got two 50560 combos in 1-1 and 1-2. New goal is 200k.

Have you figured out how to consistently pull big combos?

Your score seems unreal to me. I can't even break 60k yet.

For one thing, once the game starts getting too fast I just can't react in time and the cookies pile up beyond control.

49 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Have you figured out how to consistently pull big combos?

Your score seems unreal to me. I can't even break 60k yet.

For one thing, once the game starts getting too fast I just can't react in time and the cookies pile up beyond control.

Not really consistently, but since I only really go for them on the first couple levels, I just keep resetting early until I get it. The combo I'm setting up for is 5 columns of 7 followed by 7 rows of 2 which scores the max combo of 50,560. However, even with perfect execution, you still need to get lucky with having an even number of each cookie type in the final 2 columns.

The penalty for not getting this combo is pretty extreme. If you only get 5 rows of 2 at the end, suddenly the combo is only worth 19,840 losing >30k.

2 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

Not really consistently, but since I only really go for them on the first couple levels, I just keep resetting early until I get it. The combo I'm setting up for is 5 columns of 7 followed by 7 rows of 2 which scores the max combo of 50,560. However, even with perfect execution, you still need to get lucky with having an even number of each cookie type in the final 2 columns.

The penalty for not getting this combo is pretty extreme. If you only get 5 rows of 2 at the end, suddenly the combo is only worth 19,840 losing >30k.

This reminds me of when we were playing Klax a few years ago and I always went for a million point combo in the first stage.

20 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Is there a huge spike in the difficulty of completing level 1 if you get a 50k combo?

So the 50k combo clears the entire board and thus level 1. It would be possible to point press before the combo, but I've not bothered to try it since I assume it makes the combo much harder to pull off.  Although I did realize recently that if you don't have the right cookies to pull off the combo you could clear some lines to get another chance. So, I'll be trying that in the future but I imagine that will be harder as well. 

So the 50k combo clears the entire board and thus level 1. It would be possible to point press before the combo, but I've not bothered to try it since I assume it makes the combo much harder to pull off.  Although I did realize recently that if you don't have the right cookies to pull off the combo you could clear some lines to get another chance. So, I'll be trying that in the future but I imagine that will be harder as well. 

No I mean completing all 10 stages of round 1 after getting a 50k combo. Does a huge combo cause a correlating difficulty spike which makes it just as hard to get a high score afterward?

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

No I mean completing all 10 stages of round 1 after getting a 50k combo. Does a huge combo cause a correlating difficulty spike which makes it just as hard to get a high score afterward?

Not that I've noticed. Future levels seem just as hard regardless of if I get the 50k combo or not. I'm pretty sure the difficulty curve is not affected by the score. 

Not that I've noticed. Future levels seem just as hard regardless of if I get the 50k combo or not. I'm pretty sure the difficulty curve is not affected by the score. 

Nice. So huge combos is the key to really high scores. Otherwise it's all point pressing which does affect the difficulty curve

42 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Nice. So huge combos is the key to really high scores. Otherwise it's all point pressing which does affect the difficulty curve

Yes, the difficulty of the levels are entirely independent from each other. But even in the levels themselves I think the difficulty scales with the number of cookies you clear not the score. Triggering a big combo that doesn't clear the level feels around the same as clearing the same number of cookies (or maybe lines) in single lines. 

On 3/15/2020 at 7:20 PM, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

185,090 (6-6)

Still day 4. Got the max combo (50560) in 1-1 and 1-2. The rest of the run was about the same as I was playing fairly safe. I'm guessing my score increases will slow down from here. New goal is 200k.

158,310 (6-9) Day 4. Figured out a better beginning strat. 

100,560 (6-4) Day 3. I broke 100k! Still room for improvement. 

76,090 (5-7) Day 2

66,230 (4-7) Still plenty of room for improvement but a good day one score. 

30,730 (5-2) My first game (this will be a theme with me since the only games I've played a significant amount of in this tournament are Super Mario Bros, Mario Bros, and Tetris). I love puzzle games so this one is right up my alley.

Wow what a superb score!   I would love to know your strats for the early levels, it seems really hard to set up the killer combos.    The biggest problem seems to be that when you make a shift you have to take into account the other shifts

1 hour ago, Krunch said:

Wow what a superb score!   I would love to know your strats for the early levels, it seems really hard to set up the killer combos.    The biggest problem seems to be that when you make a shift you have to take into account the other shifts

The first step is to set up 5 columns of 7 with the bottom row offset by one. I do this by expanding the starting four columns and adding a fifth column using the third cookie type that you don't start with. Here's a picture:

IMG_20200319_172213__01.thumb.jpg.81ed9344e37687d8283328ed4a3ad74d.jpg

Then I build 7 rows of 2. This relies on having an even number of each type of cookies. If you don't have that then reset and try again. Another picture:

IMG_20200319_172513__01.thumb.jpg.88d9b9100db7719d64f73a370277a42c.jpg

Finally, move the bottom row to set off the combo. 

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

The first step is to set up 5 columns of 7 with the bottom row offset by one. I do this by expanding the starting four columns and adding a fifth column using the third cookie type that you don't start with. Here's a picture:

Then I build 7 rows of 2. This relies on having an even number of each type of cookies. If you don't have that then reset and try again. Another picture:

tenor.gif?itemid=3938292

Events Team · Posted
17 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

This reminds me so much of KLAX and brings a smile to my face.
Breaking that game by finding out the patterns on the code was so much fun.

• Like 1